“Great views, great patios, older interior” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   825 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“Great views, great patios, older interior”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

When not on the beach in front of the hotel, we were with friends on the hotel's patio passing the time away watching surfers, boats and the waves below or at night just watching stars and listening to the waves.

A group of people used the hotel's BBQ grills for one dinner.

We were fortunate no one was using the "public" patio when we were. If you can spring the extra money for the private patios, they are well worth it so you won't play a game of chance on them being occupied.

The free breakfast consisted of cereal boxes, bagels, canned juices and...microwave breakfast burritos. Definitely a unique breakfast menu.

Room 512 had a nice view of the ocean and sunsets. It has a king bed and a twin. The twin made it an interesting sleeping arrangement for four people. I took twin and the wife and our two preteens slept horizontal across the bed. It is a small room for four people.

The room does not have its own patio or a wall or exterior chairs to hang your wet bathing suit like most of the other rooms. Definitely look at the hotel map and descriptions of the rooms before selecting a room. Each one is very different. When I reserved, there were very few rooms left and I knew this was one of the smaller ones because of other reviews I read, but the view was nice. You cannot see the water from your bed when laying down, you do have to stand up to see it.

The room had a couple of upkeep issues as it is an older hotel. The brown blankets had a couple of old small stains on them. There must have been a shower organizer hanging on the shower wall at one point, because four brown round glue spots were all that remained. And the air conditioner was corroded inside - fortunately we never needed to use it.

The location of the hotel was great. A 10-minute walk to downtown Laguna Beach. Less than five minutes from your room door to the beach at the base of the hotel. The beach was great for surfers, boogie boarders, swimmers, and skimboarders alike. And there is a Ralphs two blocks away.

We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay for another anniversary.

Room Tip: Look at the hotel map when choosing a room all are very different. Read reviews about specific rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for the review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay, the views and location. You are correct that 4 people in room 512 would be tight. it is actually set for 3 as a max in our system. I will look into who booked it as the computer would not have allowed 4 to be booked into the room if the guest count is entered correctly. I also must apologize for any stains on the blankets. We have switched housekeeping services and are going through some additional training with their staff. It should not be an issue moving forward.

Kort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I am writing this review from the room. Booked it over a half year ago for July 4th. The room is considered to have a view, but all I can see is a gravel roof. Very disappointed! My girl had been looking forward to this trip. The room is fine not fancy but it was supposed to be about the view. Went and talked with the staff to see if they could accommodate us and they were not at all interested. Laguna is our favorite beach but I think next time we will look somewhere else.

I stay in hotels about 150 nights a year and as far as value goes this should have been about 1/4 the price. I guess I'll make the best of it

• Stayed July 2014
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you felt our staff was not interested in accommodating your request. They would have been more than happy to help you find a room that met your needs were there any other options. I wish we were able to move you from your ocean view room to a surf view room but as you can imagine July 4th was completely sold out.

We do our best disclosing the types of views on the website and when guests call. A ocean view room is one from which you can see the open ocean, Catalina island and the wonderful sunsets. This may look out over the top of other parts of the building including the roof top of rooms below you.

This is shown on our website http://www.lagunariviera.com/accomodation.php

A Surf View room is one where you also have a view of the beach and crashing wave either from your deck or from your room.

We keep our rates competitive with the other ocean front hotels in town and consistently offer a lower rate for similar or better accommodations. Should you visit Laguna Beach in the future and would like to stay with us again, please request a Surf View room and if available I think you will be very pleased with it.

Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We loved staying here. We had a surf view room and enjoyed every second of our five night stay. The worst thing about this hotel is having to leave. We had a few minor problems with the room, for example the towel rack was broken, but everything was fixed immediately. They supply trays for the continental breakfast and we enjoyed eating it on our deck. It really didn't matter what we ate, even Taco Bell, as long as we ate in our room, lanai or deck where we enjoyed the breathtaking views. We had a better view than any of the restaurants we ate at. Everyone was so nice and friendly in this town. Our son took surf lesson from Soul Surf next door and Jim and Goff were wonderful and had our son standing up riding the waves while we watched (sometimes from our deck). All of the staff at the hotel were nice and helpful but not intrusive. The other guests we encountered were all nice. It was like living in a small friendly community. I like good value for my money and you definitely get it here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for the fine review. It is always a pleasure to hear from satisfied guests and to know that your vacation was everything you expected.

The views you experienced from your deck never get old and even for those of us who grew up here they continue to amaze. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Laguna Riviera and congratulations to your son for standing up his first day surfing.

We look forward to your nest visit.

Seymour, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Older facility but very neat and clean. Rooms vary greatly depending on size and location to beach. Stayed one night in rom 201. Was not disappointed at all. Great view. Quiet room. Easy walk down to beach. The only negative was the small, cramped parking spaces, but that did not detract from a great stay. Would recommend to anyone staying in the area. Great experience!

Room Tip: Room 201 is closest to ocean and has great views that cannot be beat. Quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at the Laguna Riviera. Room 201 is one with amazing views up and down the coast and of course the beach and ocean. Many select it because you can leave the shutters open and wake to the view of the crashing waves and sound of the surf. It is a real guest favorite.

Monrovia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Let me start by saying this place has great views and the people are friendly. My husband and I have been going to this place for over 20 years. Our last visit left us disappointed. We always stay in their suit, room 404 with family in 406. With all the up grades they have done in the other rooms, you would think they would spend some money and provide good bed mattress. In both rooms the mattress were worn and lumpy, especially in room 404, so needless to say our sleep was not good. Also, the patio cushions were new but of poor quality, thin and you can feel the metal chairs when sitting on them. In the kitchen, which should be stocked with pans didn't have pans only pots. Being the second highest priced room I feel it should have better accommodations.

I understand the cost involved to keep a place like this running and the many visitors that don't take pride in caring for their surroundings. I hope our next visit there will show improvement because we would like to continue staying there.

Suggestion; have your guest staying in your higher priced rooms sign a special document that holds them accountable for damages but this would mean that someone would have to take them to room before signing to acknowledge any damages before checking in and the again when they leave. Just a thought to keep your cost down for those who don't care about others property.

Room Tip: All ocen views
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for your review and long term patronage. It is an honor to be able to warrant such loyalty and to know that we deliver an experience that warrants many repeat visits.

Room 404, as you know, is almost always booked. With that said it has had several updates over the last few years including the mattress. I will be checking as soon as the room is vacant to make sure it has not been swapped out on us as we have two types of mattresses. 1 is custom made for us and the other is a memory foam. Im sorry the patio cushions were not up to your standard. As you mentioned they are brand new and I'm sure you understand that being on the ocean we are constantly replacing cushions and umbrellas because they don't last long in that environment.

The front office has pans and can deliver to your room whatever is needed. So please don't hesitate to call for service thats what we are here for.

We look forward to your next stay and again, thank you for the long term patronage.

Happy Travels,

Wyoming, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago. The weekend staff needs a shake up, they were rude and completely un-helpful. We couldnt get into our room early so we asked if there was a place to keep our luggage so that we could make our appt. They said they would put it in the office - begrudingly I might add. My husband went back about an hour and half later to see if the room was ready and there was our lugguage still sitting in the lobby!! As it ended up we didnt get in till 1 1/2 after check in time - they blamed the new housekeeping staff. The woman behind the desk was so very rude in her responses to our questions, that I did consider looking for somewhere else to go! At one point I asked to see if the guest house was available to look at and her comment was "the rate goes up to a $1000.00" with attitude - Not sure what her point was?? And when i explained I was looking for next year she said they were too busy to show it to me could I come back later that day. Really!! On the positive side, our room was amazing because we had a private deck and the views are spectatcular. The furniture in the room was old and stained and the fireplace quit working but I wasnt there to sit inside anyways. It is definately an older place, but has lots of funk and I like that as its not pretensious and you feel comfortable there! The staff on Tuesday were wonderful, very congenial and helpful. Truthfully we cant wait to go back - the location is that spectactular!

Room Tip: If there are only two of you 508 is an amazing room with a large private deck, perfect for entertain...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful views and location.

I am sorry your first impression with the front desk was less than perfect. We have had some recent hires and training is ongoing. Fortunately you had a great experience Tuesday with the desk staff and saw what we strive to be our standard delivery of excellence.

Your room tip is spot on. Room 508 is an amazing room with brand new furniture and amazing views. It was completely remodled about 6 months ago and is one of my personal favorites.

I'm glad to hear you can't wait to come back and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Happy Travels,

Riverbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at the Laguna Riviera last December. I just finished re booking for this summer and am looking to go back again in December. I.am a single mom on a budget so I did a lot of research so I could get the best bang for my buck and ended up picking this hotel, If you are looking to travel cheap this place is for you. I wanted ocean view and balcony the whole nine yards and for the price you cannot beat it. You get the same perks as the fancy hotels of being on the beach. From the street it's not much too look at, but the rooms are very well taken care of. We wanted to try 2 different rooms so we first stayed in room 516 Ocean View category. Since it is a corner room we could still see the waves crash, yes there is a roof that blocks some of it but I could see ocean for as long as my eyes can see. It has one super comfortable queen bed and a VERY comfortable couch. the room is very spacious, lanai is an awesome addition and the deck is huge. Major plus. They provide beach chairs and towels and continental breakfast which included juices milk all sorts of cereals, muffins, fruit. Since it has a kitchen you could cook and stay in if you want. We flew and did not have a car so we really did things on a budget. If you get a room with a kitchen you should know that Vons grocery store is directly across the street so we bought groceries every night and cooked, Also Taco Bell is one block over for really budget conscious travelers. They also have a public BBQ are so you can buy meat and BBQ out on the deck. It also sits on the main high way so if you want you can take bus #1 to many of the other beaches in the area like Huntington and Newport. We also stayed in room 302 which had a fireplace and king bed. The staff was very nice and attentive, did not have one complaint. I really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Look at the room layout map to better select your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review. We can only agree with all of your comments and are very happy we were able to accommodate your budget.

It often happens that folks staying nearby in much more expensive corporately owned properties discover the family owned Laguna Riviera as they walk the beach. Further investigation reveals significant saving with, what many describe as, a superior location.

We are close to everything without being in the middle of the noise and congestion of downtown, offering extremely competitive rates with no hidden resort fees or extra charges, and on the best stretch of beach in town.

-Kort

Been to Laguna Riviera Beach Resort? Share your experiences!