“Accommodations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Monrovia, California
“Accommodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Let me start by saying this place has great views and the people are friendly. My husband and I have been going to this place for over 20 years. Our last visit left us disappointed. We always stay in their suit, room 404 with family in 406. With all the up grades they have done in the other rooms, you would think they would spend some money and provide good bed mattress. In both rooms the mattress were worn and lumpy, especially in room 404, so needless to say our sleep was not good. Also, the patio cushions were new but of poor quality, thin and you can feel the metal chairs when sitting on them. In the kitchen, which should be stocked with pans didn't have pans only pots. Being the second highest priced room I feel it should have better accommodations.

I understand the cost involved to keep a place like this running and the many visitors that don't take pride in caring for their surroundings. I hope our next visit there will show improvement because we would like to continue staying there.

Suggestion; have your guest staying in your higher priced rooms sign a special document that holds them accountable for damages but this would mean that someone would have to take them to room before signing to acknowledge any damages before checking in and the again when they leave. Just a thought to keep your cost down for those who don't care about others property.

Room Tip: All ocen views
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for your review and long term patronage. It is an honor to be able to warrant such loyalty and to know that we deliver an experience that warrants many repeat visits.

Room 404, as you know, is almost always booked. With that said it has had several updates over the last few years including the mattress. I will be checking as soon as the room is vacant to make sure it has not been swapped out on us as we have two types of mattresses. 1 is custom made for us and the other is a memory foam. Im sorry the patio cushions were not up to your standard. As you mentioned they are brand new and I'm sure you understand that being on the ocean we are constantly replacing cushions and umbrellas because they don't last long in that environment.

The front office has pans and can deliver to your room whatever is needed. So please don't hesitate to call for service thats what we are here for.

We look forward to your next stay and again, thank you for the long term patronage.

Happy Travels,

-Kort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wyoming, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago. The weekend staff needs a shake up, they were rude and completely un-helpful. We couldnt get into our room early so we asked if there was a place to keep our luggage so that we could make our appt. They said they would put it in the office - begrudingly I might add. My husband went back about an hour and half later to see if the room was ready and there was our lugguage still sitting in the lobby!! As it ended up we didnt get in till 1 1/2 after check in time - they blamed the new housekeeping staff. The woman behind the desk was so very rude in her responses to our questions, that I did consider looking for somewhere else to go! At one point I asked to see if the guest house was available to look at and her comment was "the rate goes up to a $1000.00" with attitude - Not sure what her point was?? And when i explained I was looking for next year she said they were too busy to show it to me could I come back later that day. Really!! On the positive side, our room was amazing because we had a private deck and the views are spectatcular. The furniture in the room was old and stained and the fireplace quit working but I wasnt there to sit inside anyways. It is definately an older place, but has lots of funk and I like that as its not pretensious and you feel comfortable there! The staff on Tuesday were wonderful, very congenial and helpful. Truthfully we cant wait to go back - the location is that spectactular!

Room Tip: If there are only two of you 508 is an amazing room with a large private deck, perfect for entertain...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful views and location.

I am sorry your first impression with the front desk was less than perfect. We have had some recent hires and training is ongoing. Fortunately you had a great experience Tuesday with the desk staff and saw what we strive to be our standard delivery of excellence.

Your room tip is spot on. Room 508 is an amazing room with brand new furniture and amazing views. It was completely remodled about 6 months ago and is one of my personal favorites.

I'm glad to hear you can't wait to come back and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Happy Travels,

Riverbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at the Laguna Riviera last December. I just finished re booking for this summer and am looking to go back again in December. I.am a single mom on a budget so I did a lot of research so I could get the best bang for my buck and ended up picking this hotel, If you are looking to travel cheap this place is for you. I wanted ocean view and balcony the whole nine yards and for the price you cannot beat it. You get the same perks as the fancy hotels of being on the beach. From the street it's not much too look at, but the rooms are very well taken care of. We wanted to try 2 different rooms so we first stayed in room 516 Ocean View category. Since it is a corner room we could still see the waves crash, yes there is a roof that blocks some of it but I could see ocean for as long as my eyes can see. It has one super comfortable queen bed and a VERY comfortable couch. the room is very spacious, lanai is an awesome addition and the deck is huge. Major plus. They provide beach chairs and towels and continental breakfast which included juices milk all sorts of cereals, muffins, fruit. Since it has a kitchen you could cook and stay in if you want. We flew and did not have a car so we really did things on a budget. If you get a room with a kitchen you should know that Vons grocery store is directly across the street so we bought groceries every night and cooked, Also Taco Bell is one block over for really budget conscious travelers. They also have a public BBQ are so you can buy meat and BBQ out on the deck. It also sits on the main high way so if you want you can take bus #1 to many of the other beaches in the area like Huntington and Newport. We also stayed in room 302 which had a fireplace and king bed. The staff was very nice and attentive, did not have one complaint. I really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Look at the room layout map to better select your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review. We can only agree with all of your comments and are very happy we were able to accommodate your budget.

It often happens that folks staying nearby in much more expensive corporately owned properties discover the family owned Laguna Riviera as they walk the beach. Further investigation reveals significant saving with, what many describe as, a superior location.

We are close to everything without being in the middle of the noise and congestion of downtown, offering extremely competitive rates with no hidden resort fees or extra charges, and on the best stretch of beach in town.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed in room 306 best view and we had a private balcony. Walking distance to all the great shops. I will stay here again if I am able to make it back. We had a great time and loved our room and view!!

• Stayed May 2014
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thanks for your review. The surf view rooms with private balconies are always a treat. Im glad you enjoyed your stay and took he time to share your experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I have stayed for two weekends at the Beach Bungalow. The first time was during the construction phase last year and we were fully advised ahead of time of some inconveniences which may get our attention during our stay. Since the retaining walls were being built below, we had the entire upper level of the house and convenient outside deck off of the living area as our personal habitat. The main entry bridge to the house intersects the city beach stairway which gave us direct access to the sand for excellent morning walks and we even walked past main beach to Las Brisas for outdoor afternoon cocktails. Yum.

Now, the two lower terraces are complete and this time we felt like we had our own private resort planet to ourselves. This "vast" lower terrace would be perfect to invite your family and friends down to for a Saturday or Sunday bar-b-q (just remember the metered parking). Parents and grandparents can plant themselves under shade umbrellas along the new glass guardrail and keep an eye on the kids/grandkids on the sand right below. Using the newly reestablished private stairs to the beach leading right up to the lower terrace made it feel like the beach and the water was also a part of your domain. It was just over-the-top great!(and really convenient).

OK, the house-------Imagine that your grandparents (or great grandparents) were so totally hip and free thinking back in the 1930's that they wanted a beach house on a bluff in a sleepy seaside community and had it built somewhat similar to the buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Greene Brothers. I am familiar with that type of architecture and, although I have not had a stay at those locations, would pick this one again over those, all aspects taken into consideration. The vertical vaulting in the rooms, the built in furniture areas, the all wood surroundings from room to room cannot really be expressed in words or pictures. This house totally envelops you in its atmospheric presence and it seems as though it becomes your companion. That's no lie. We pulled the sofa in front of the large picture window and watched the morning dog parade on the beach below while having coffee and chatting for hours. Loose the electronics to get the most from this place (bring a book [huh?]! And it has a modern kitchen, a bath and a half, and there is also a washer dryer for convenience during a long stay. Food, shopping, entertainment and sightseeing is all around you with only the need for your sandals underfoot for transportation.
I have stayed at many places in my 65 years and in quite a few countries. In my opinion, this is as good as it gets on the West Coast for this type of accommodation. I have yet to meet a "perfect" person and no accommodation is absolutely "perfect" but in the Siskal and Ebrecht scoring system of two thumbs up being great, I give this place all ten of my thumbs, and then some!!! There you have it. Go and ENJOY, ENJOY.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Wow, thank you for this fantastic and descriptively engaing review. I could not have said it better and appreciate the memories and imagry it brings to mind. Particularly because it was the home of my grandparents who wanted a wonderful beach cottage in which to live.

Since you have said it all, the only thing left for me to say is, again, Thank You. I appreciate the time and thought put into this review.

nanaimo B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here April 6th and 7th to celebrate a birthday. We attempted to check in at 3:45 pm and unfortunately the room was not ready, we were told to come back in a half hour, we returned at 4:30. We checked in and went to the room and the maid was still working there. We had to wait for her to finish hanging the shower curtain, put towels in etc.....I was a bit dissapointed that the room was still not ready, by this time it was 4:45.
We were in room 409, it was ok.....when they say you cant see the beach or surf they are right!! I was really disappointed with the view as we paid for the ocean front room, so make sure if this is what you want, book a room where you can see the surf.
The hotel is older but in good condition, clean, the room was comfortable.
The biggest problem I had was with the breakfast that was included in the room price. You couldn't just help yourself, everything was behind the counter and you needed to ask for everything individually and the lady did not speak english well at all. The breakfast was very limited in selection and really is a why bother.
The location was great, lots of steps to the beach but I did not mind that.

Room Tip: ask for a room where you can see the surf.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Im glad you liked your room, the location and acknowledge that our description of the views is accurate. An ocean view room such as yours in one in which you will see the open ocean, sunsets and on a clear day Catalina Island. A surf view room is where you will see all of that plus the crashing waves and beach from your room and or balcony.

My apologies that your room was not ready on time. This is a situation that has been remedied. We moved to a new service the beginning of April and they were just getting up to speed and now have everything timed out and under control to ensure rooms are ready by check in.

The continental breakfast service is dictated by the health department. We are not allowed to have guests come behind the counter and serve themselves. It would certainly make it easier if we could set everything out and do a self service program. Maybe that will be the case someday.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Since my last visit there, Laguna Riviera has made quite a few upgrades. The Beach Bungalow patio and a remodel of the beach walk is quite impressive. Some of the rooms now have new balconies as well. I have always liked this family-run resort and will continue to go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for the nice review and I am glad you appreciate all of the upgrades we have been implementing. It has been a lot of work but all of it worth it.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.