“Beautiful Laguna sunset views and free parking” 4 of 5 stars

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
825 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #8 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Henderson
“Beautiful Laguna sunset views and free parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The remodeled Laguna Riviera is much improved from the pre-renovation. A very relaxing setting overlooking the Pacific right on the beach. As all beachfront properties, summer rates are pricey and the rooms are rather on the small side, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Staff was very accommodating and there was even a free continental breakfast! If you can't find what you are looking for at Pacific Edge, for a comparable price, I would give this hotel a look. You can select your room from their website which means you know exactly what you will get upon arrival.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. We are also very happy with the renovation and we are continuing to make more improvements all the time.

I am surprised you found the room to be small. We only have 2 that I would classify as small so perhaps you had one of those. Our rooms are actually larger than the national average. Our average room is over 400 square feet not including any deck, patio, or balcony space.

I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast. When combined with free parking, free internet, and no resort fees, like they have at the Pacific Edge hotel you mentioned, you quickly find that we have the best ocean front rates in town.

Thanks again & Happy Travels,

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Rialto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My family stays here every summer and this year didn't disappoint. We stayed in room 504 for a few days and loved it. We have already booked 2 more stays here. My only complaint is that the wifi was spotty but that is certainly not a deal breaker. This year we utilized the free city shuttle and there is a stop right in front of the hotel!! Thanks again Laguna Riveria for an amazing stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying at the Laguna Riviera. Our repeat guests are special to us and we enjoying seeing everyone year after year. It is a tradition started by my grand father when he opened in 1948 to create a home away from home for families to enjoy their summer vacation together.

The complimentary WiFi is undergoing and upgrade to improve consistent coverage. If anyone ever has an issue you can always get a strong signal in the lobby or use our complimentary hardwired computer kiosk.

The free shuttles in the summer are a fantastic way to get around, see the city, avoid the traffic, and daunting task of finding parking. Some people will just hop on at the stop right in front of the Laguna Riviera an ride a full round trip just to relax, people watch, and enjoy a free tour of the city.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you and the family next year.

Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family of 5 (3 young kids) stayed here for a weekend. We live in Southern California and Laguna Beach is one of my favorite beach towns. Everything is within walking distance and it has such a great vibe. Laguna Riviera is right in the heart of everything and it is on a nice beach. I think for the price, you cannot do much better.

We stayed in room 505 and it was very large. We had a full kitchen as well as a bedroom with a queen bed and a queen murphy bed in the living room. They gave us a crib to use for our toddler. The beds were really comfortable. They list 505 as having a "private" patio but I think that is a stretch. It was fine but it was really a shared patio with separate space for the 3 rooms off that area. We used it for breakfast and sat out there in the evening as well.

The pool was fun for the kids and they have a little game room off to the side and that was fun (ping pong, air hockey, ect). The pool was a good temperature and the hot tub was nice (especially because it was unseasonably cool during our stay). We enjoyed the beach and the hotel gives you chairs, umbrella and towels to use.

There are a lot of great restaurants within walking distance and if you want to go a little further Laguna has a free trolley that goes up and down Coast Hwy. We ate breakfast at the hotel and the muffins they provide are good. The coffee was also good and my kids liked all the cereal choices.

I guess my only "complaint" about this hotel is the lack of service. We really got no explanation of anything and felt like we were on our own to figure things out. At check in, we were handed the keys and that's it. It was more of a "motel" type experience in that regard. Having said that, we would like to stay here again next summer because the value and location are really great. I don't know if I would recommend it in the summer for people without kids. There were lots of kids (which was great for ours) but I imagine when school starts then it is much quieter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your patronage and review. I am glad to hear that room 505 met your needs and you found the new ventilated memory foam mattresses comfortable. We have received several requests on where to buy them which is always a good sign.

The rooms at the Laguna Riviera on average are quite large. Your room not including the deck space is almost 900 square feet and the average for rooms on the 5th level is 400 square feet. A recent report by a leading hotel analysis company reported that hotel rooms in the U.S. average 170 square feet while our smallest room is 212 sq ft and we average about 400 sq ft per room not including deck or patio area. A portion of deck space is reserved exclusively for this room but we have not partitioned them yet so it is open to the neighbors. We have found many times friends will rent adjoining rooms and appreciate having the space connected, but also know that others would prefer to have it be more private, so we are looking into portable or curtain partitions so that it can easily convert to accommodate both needs.

Your observations regarding location and price are what make the Laguna Riviera stand out when compared to many properties. Our price for what you get is the best value in town with no hidden charges for parking, internet, or a resort fee and on top of it you get free continental breakfast, beach chairs and umbrellas. The location is on arguably the best beach in town and close enough to downtown to walk but just far enough away to not have all the activity out your front door.

I will discuss your comment regarding explanations of services upon check in. The desk staff has a list of key point to share with all new guests and I suspect they may have been busy and skipped that part. Rest assured that if you ask the desk staff about any events in town, where to eat or how to get there you will receive prompt and courteous assistance.

Summer time is family time at the Laguna Riviera and has been our hallmark for decades. We find that once school is back in session everything quiets own and the couples and more mature guests come and enjoy the amazing fall and spring seasons with us and some even make the Laguna Riviera home for the winter occupying one of our full kitchen units for 2-3 months at a time.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for choosing the Laguna Riviera.

Riverside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Love laguna riviera,we have been coming here 20 years ,my grand children and great grand children spend time also.they have many friends that they see each year,so it is a family oriented resort,I have never had any complaints about the rooms ,carpets,lighting or the many famlies as neighbors., i try to keep our visiting children to keep the noise down,although we picked laguna riviera because of its family oriented environment.hope to have many more happy years at this resort,and would like to compiment the staff they are great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. Repeat business is what keeps us going and we enjoy seeing everyone each year. It feels like an extended family reunion.

The Laguna Riviera is a very family friendly resort and has become an annual tradition with many families returning each year. In the 70's I worked the beach renting rafts and handing out towels to the guests. I met many of the kids who came with their parents each year on summer vacation and today it is a great pleasure and a testimony to the Laguna Riviera to see the tradition continue as they return, now as parents, with their own children.

This is an honor we don't take lightly, we appreciate the continued patronage, and look forward to seeing you again next year.

arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice little family run place right on the beach and in walking distance to a grocery store and many places to eat. The room we stayed in had dirty carpets but I imagine they are hard to keep clean with sand...tile would be better. There could to be better lighting in the rooms and the bathroom. My biggest complaint was out of managment control....the freakishy noise neighbors who let their children run around slamming doors and screaming over the balcony. Staff is friendly you can borrow umbrellas beach towels and chairs for your entire stay. Free cereal muffins and juice are provided in the mornings. Rooms have small fridge and a microwave which is nice....I would stay here again but would get an upsatirs room and bring ear plugs!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice comments.

It is unfortunate that other guests staying with us disturbed your peace. We are always ready to intervene and ask folks to quiet down and be considerate of the other guests. Please keep this in mind for your next stay. If you have any problems, please contact the front desk and we will do everything we can to make your stay enjoyable. This includes asking those having a bit too much fun to keep it down.

Thanks again &
Happy Travels,

Monrovia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been staying at the Laguna Riviera for close to 30 years. I have no desire to stay anywhere else. I tell everyone I know that this is the place to stay while in Laguna. I tell them that it isn't fancy, but it's clean and comfortable, and the value received for the money spent cannot be beat.
I stay at the Riv one or more times per year. My family and I spend a week there during the summer, occupying several units.
As much as I love it there, this summer's stay left me a bit cranky. We are blessed enough to count Room 404 as our mainstay unit - how can you beat its size and the absolutely gorgeous views?! - but this year the decor got to us. Bear with me while I make comment, even if seemingly trivial or petty: There is a big floor lamp that was added which is quite unattractive and practically takes over the corner by the fireplace; the medicine cabinet and two side lamps were removed in the bathroom and replaced by a dark framed mirror that totally does not belong in that bathroom (the lighting is poor now as a result of the lamps being removed); the arms on the 2 chairs in the living room were terribly soiled, and we were embarrassed about it when entertaining a couple of friends one afternoon; the chair covers on the patio are old and flat as pancakes - no stuffing left.
Safety note: On our summer visit last year a big gust of wind took up the table umbrella (and the center table tile with it!), and crashed down on the lounge chairs. It happened so quickly. I was grateful that none of the family was sitting out there at the time, or they may have gotten hurt. Anyway, this last visit the patio furniture is the same, and although it looks like someone attempted to glue the table tile back in place, it was loose. So this freaky thing could happen again.
I realize that the Riv is a good value for the money, but at over $500 per night, summer rate (taxes included), it seems that more attention can be paid to #404. Over the years there have been many a time when upon checking in, we've had to call in the carpet cleaners, and have spot cleaned the furniture upholstery ourselves. I've always thought that the maid service should take note of conditions and report them to the front desk. Or perhaps a representative of the hotel could inspect the rooms, at least after longer guest stays.
Additional comment: It would be nice if more of the rooms had king versus queen sized beds.
We have always loved this hotel, and have had great times there. We appreciate the free amenities. The staff is very nice, accommodating, friendly. We love Anna, Susan and Alex.
Suffice it to say that despite my complaints, as I said in the beginning, there is no other place I'd want to stay while in Laguna.

Room Tip: Love 404 with 406 as an add on. Also 508 is wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to prepare such a detailed opinion about room 404. All of your comments have been noted and we will be considering each one when we arrive at the end of summer and begin our annual repair/restoration of each room. As you know we sell out every summer and between family gatherings, weddings and vacationers the rooms are in constant use.

Im sorry to hear that the winds caused you a scare. They can get quite strong coming off of the ocean during the winter season. Our staff is instructed to close all umbrellas when we know they are coming but sometimes the heavy winds just arrive and catch us off guard. We have had to retrieve umbrellas from rooftops the winds can be so powerful.

I trust when you return next year you will be happy to see the result of your comments. We listen to all of our guests and appreciate the feedback.

Kort
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We've been staying at the Laguna Riviera for years and always have a pleasant stay. Their prices have been creeping up, but are realistic for the area. They offer wonderful beach front access, a variety of room styles from little apartments with full kitchens to rooms with a King bed & fridge only. They have a nice inside, heated pool - good any time of the year. They really do need to fix the ping pong table in the game room, though. We'll go again.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique in their set-up, some with ocean views & some with side views. It just depe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review and your repeat business. Loyal happy customers let us know were delivering a great vacation experience.

Yes, we have been forced to raise rates on/off for the last several years but alway stay below the other ocean front properties. Fortunately rates are remaining the same for 2014 and instead of starting Summer rates June 1 like everyone else in town, we are waiting until the middle of the month. It is also important to consider total cost since we do not charge for many thing that are add ons elsewhere in town. This includes domestic phone calls, internet access, beach chairs and umbrellas, parking, and of course we have no resort fees that go as high as $40 per day and you receive a complimentary continental breakfast every day.

We just installed a brand mew foosball table and air hockey. It sounds like the ping pong table needs to be next. Thanks for the feedback we will be taking a look at that.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

-Kort

Been to Laguna Riviera Beach Resort? Share your experiences!