“A great place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Laguna Beach
Stow, Ohio
“A great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of days (December 2012) and it was a great experience. We are very picky about hotels and while this was not a very fancy place...it was clean, the staff was friendly and VERY helpful. I accidentally dropped my room key in the trash can and when the maintenance person saw me starting to look into the trash receptacle he came right over to help and then insisted that he do it for me. The view is spectacular and the location is fantastic. If you are snobbish and looking for an upscale hotel at premium prices, this place is NOT for you. However, if you are a family looking for a clean, reasonably priced place in a great location and that employees friendly, down to earth people...then you must stay here! When we get back to Laguna (and God knows that we would love to) then this is the place that we will stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 402.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience and the praise of our staff. I will make sure they are aware that their actions were so well received. It means a lot.

While our location is world class, the Riviera is certainly not the Montage but we do have some very nice rooms. Your room 402 is a nice room and we have others that are more upscale. Since the property was built in three phases over many years we have 41 rooms and they are all different and unique. It is always fun to watch repeat guests try different rooms until they find a favorite that they return to year after year.

Happy Holidays and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Thanks again,

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were very disappointed with this holiday experience. The location we couldn't fault - right on the beach. Exactly how it was depicted in the pictures on the website. HOWEVER what wasn't made clear when we booked was the extensive site reconstruction work - effectively the lower half of the resort was a building site. Balconies were very dusty and the noise of machinery did not go down well when trying to sunbathe. The duty manager acknowledged this and offered to clean our balcony. He then offered us an alternative room - the first we rejected but took the second one. We took the second option 'the suite' which was dated and adequate at best. It certainly needs some TLC. Overall not a holiday experience we would want to repeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I agree that everyone needs to be informed, and am sorry this guest was dissapointed by our slope renovation. We have done everything we can to well publicize the repair work. It has been underway since the beginning of the year.

After 7-1/2 years of engineering, design and challenging city roadblocks we finally received permission to stabilize the front slope and protect the hotels buildings. We have been very active making this known to all. If you book online you must acknowledge that you have read the construction notice prior to booking. The front page of our website states very simply and clearly that the slope is under construction, even on TripAdvisor we have a notice that we are under repair with a detailed description available, and when you call to book, the front office makes sure to deliver the message.

Fortunately we are very close to completion and once done a new pathway and landscaping will be installed. Until that happens guests must reach the beach by using the public access adjacent to the property. From many rooms it is the same or a shorter distance and in no case does it increase the walk by more than a minute.

Yes the pathway to the beach is a great convenience and we regret that these repairs became necessary to keep the property safe, but the side access serves guest well to reach the sand. The pathway will soon be reopened and when it is, updates will be posted on our website.

Once the repairs are completed we hope you will give us another try and perhaps an updated review.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I found this hotel from reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I loved the location since it is walking distance to many restaurants, not to mention it is right on the beach! The view was awesome and not too crowded with the summer crowd. Alex at the front desk was very accommodating. Thanks for the great customer service! I am a satisfied customer who will return again and again.

• Stayed October 2012
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is what the vast majority of our guest feel and I appreciate that you have taken the time to post to TripAdvisor. I'll pass along your compliments to Alex (he lives to deliver great service) and we all look forward to your next stay with us.

Thanks again &

Sun Valley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband, son and i were scheduled to stay a Laguna Riviera Beach Resort for 3 nights as we were in the area for a wedding. The moment that we arrived we were really disappointed. The room had a very bad smell of mold and some other disgusting smell. There was no air conditioning and the temps were very warm. The noise from PCH kept us up most of the night along with a group of young people on the floor above us who partied all night. The carpet was dirty and there were no parking spaces left so we had to park out on the street. The night attendant was very nice and helpful, but the morning guy was sleeping at 8:30am in the morning and was a bit grouchy. They told us that the path to the beach would definitely be open when we made our reservations, but it was still closed. The location is great to all of the nice restaurants and the main beach in laguna. You can walk to almost every place. We ended up moving to the Holiday Inn just down the street and were in heaven for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We are sorry that you had a less than perfect stay. I wish you had asked for another room if you were not happy with the one you booked. I would like to know which room you had because we have no record of any odor issues in any of the rooms.

With regards to the noise from coast highway. All rooms have double pane glass and only 2 of our rooms face coast highway. These 2 rooms are on the top floor above our office. While we rarely have comments on the street noise there are occasional emergency vehicle that go by which can be heard everywhere in town.

It is unfortunate that the family above your room was creating noise. I wish you had contacted the front desk. We are always available and happy to interven and quiet any guests that are being disruptive.

With regards to the A/C our website clearly states what rooms do and do not have A/C and we have several portable units that are brought to your room upon request.

Our website also clearly states the current status of our slope repair and beach access pathway. As I write this it still shows the path is closed. as it has since the end of January. Unfortunately the contractor is behind schedule. Fortunately, it is just as easy and the same distance if not a bit shorter to simply access the beach via the side street.

I see from your only other review on TripAdvisor that you stayed across the street from us at the Holiday Inn on coast highway and had a great time. Even though they are not on the beach, Im glad they met your needs, and that you were able to still enjoy Laguna. I'm sorry we dropped the ball and were unable to earn your business.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night when we were on our road trip of California ,we were finding it a problem to get digs for the night then we came across this place,friendly staff, nice room over looking the ocean complete with dolphins. Every thing we needed was on tap plenty of places close by to get food and lots of bars , wonderful beach,sorry I know you are not allowed to take the shells but I just could not help myself they are sitting on the side of our bath, they remind us of a great holiday and a lovely hotel on the beach,would stay here again and highly recommend.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm glad to hear you found the Laguna Riviera when searching for a 1 night stay on your road trip. This time of year it can be tough to find a ocean view room in Laguna Beach on short notice and I'm glad to see we were able to accommodate.

Sighting dolphins used to be a rare experience and more recently it has been something you can do on an almost daily basis. Even living here I always pause to take in their beauty and it's great to know they were part of your vacation. PS I wont say anything about the shells.... ;-)

Thanks for the kind words &
Happy Travel,

Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My hubby and I just returned yesterday; we were there from 9/17 - 9/22 (weather was absolutely perfect). It is located about 1/2 mile from center of town; easy walk. Stayed in rm. 402 (full ocean view) for 4 nights and didn't want to leave so we got another rm. (407) for a 5th night since our rm. was booked for the additional night. They have done a lot of renovating since we were there years ago and it looks just lovely. It had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, 2 bath robes, flat screen TV, continental breakfast which I took full advantage of, a very nice patio right outside our room with tables and chairs and lounging chairs. They also have a computer to use in the front office area in case you need it. There were 2 BBQ's right below our room which we cooked salmon on one night...yum! The views and sunsets were gorgeous each night. Ralph's grocery market is just a block away for anything you might need. We love Laguna so I am positive we will return to Laguna Riviera in the future. Also you can't beat the price for a hotel room on the beach and I know that from experience! Keep up the good work Kort!

Room Tip: Some rooms have A/C and some have ceiling and free standing fans so inquire when you call for reserv...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It's great to hear when a guest has such a wonderful and memorable time staying at the Laguna Riviera. Thank you for sharing your experience and what a great compliment that you extended your stay. This is really such a great time of year to visit Laguna Beach with perfect weather no big crowds and the ocean still at the right temperature for a swim.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Happy travel,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I are on vacation and our goal was to get to California and drive up the coast starting at San Diego. I had mentioned to him that when I was 18 I stayed at this great hotel on the beach in Laguna but I couldn't remember the name. I started looking up hotels on trip advisor and found it!!! It has been extremely renovated but more or less it still looks the same from 20 something years ago. Very pricey but overall it was wonderful room and the view from the multiple decks they have is wonderful. They are still working on the stairs that go down to the beach so you have to walk around abit. So happy to have that experience again so many years later. Beware the cost is $ 200 and up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for giving the nice review. We are so glad you were able to find us after 20 years. It's a such a compliment that the Laguna Riviera left such great memories that you wanted to find us while on your vacation this year.

The pathway to the sand is almost complete and now that summer is at an end, the rates are back down. So it's now $138 and up. This time of year, mid September and October usually offers the same great weather as summer but with better rates and a much quieter town.

I'm glad after 20 years you noticed the newly remodeled rooms. They are quite comfortable but we left the exterior alone keeping it vintage 1950's.

Thanks again and I hope we see you back before another 20 years go by.

-Kort

Been to Laguna Riviera Beach Resort? Share your experiences!