“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   647 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly Vacation Village Hotel)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Bed, Breakfast, & Parking
Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Long Beach, California
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel is divided up into 4 or 5 clusters of room. A couple of the bldgs. are directly on the beach and the other two are back toward the street (but 30 second walk to the water).

I had standard king room in the reef bldg. Million dollar views, balcony with chairs. Saw lots of dolphins swimming around. Bed was very comfortable but the pillows were too hard for me. Small frig, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, Keurig machine, wall mounted tv, small table with two chairs. a/c didn't work and it was a brutally hot day in the 80s.

Bathroom is a little 70s looking and nothing fancy, but gets the job done. Main room is decorated in pretty yellow and turquoise. Beach front bar is nice, food in restaurant was good. Tons of local (but expensive) shops lining both sides of the street. I was here for a business mtg. so I am not sure what the price of the room was.

Room Tip: I was in the "reef" section of hotel (not the reef tower). Room was directly on the ocean...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Million-dollar views and dolphins to boot! Sounds like a fantastic getaway, and it was a pleasure to be a part of it. Thank you for sharing your kind words with us, and please keep us in mind next time you need a little me time!

Cheers,

740 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Duncan, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed in the Reef Tower. The room was very spacious - it had a full kitchen (with a pink stove!). There are no cooking utensils and I didn't want to invest in them on vacation (we didn't spend a ton of time in Laguna anyway), so we didn't really make use of anything except the refrigerator. There is a grocery store just across the street with a great produce selection, so we stocked up on fruit to snack on. The room has a Keurig coffee maker.

Our room was not "technically" beach-front but it was VERY close and we still had a great view of the water. We booked at a discounted rate so I could not have asked for a better view for the price!

Within a very short walking distance is a Taco Bell, a great breakfast/lunch place called the Orange Inn (excellent lattes), the grocery store and lots of boutique-style shopping. If Starbucks is your morning thing, it would be a bit of a walk or you can drive to it in less than 5 minutes.

OTHER NOTES:

I don't think the heater worked in our room but when we were there it was pretty much just to sleep and shower, so we stayed warm under the comfy blankets!

Upon check-in, Kim was working the front desk. She was very helpful and friendly.

If you drive here, plan to pay for valet. It is $24/day but worth it because there is no where to park on the street. The valet guys are very friendly.

We did not eat at The Deck (restaurant on property) so I cannot add any review about it.

Our room was very clean and came with free Wi-Fi.

I have attached a photo from our room. The view is partially blocked by the building next door but it is still a great view.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thanks for leaving such a detailed account of your stay! We're glad you enjoyed it, but we wish we could have checked on your heater during your visit—we don't want anyone to be chilly! We'll definitely look into that, but in the meantime thanks for sharing that photo with us, Paula—we love that sunny beach view!

Hope to have you back soon,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel was a nice surprise for the rate. Considering its location (right on the beach and within walking distance of shops, restaurants, and other activities), colorful and clean rooms, a nice lobby, and a good restaurant and deck overlooking the ocean, the rates are very good. I had a small room without an ocean view, but it was basic, clean, and equipped with requested microwave and refrigerator. I would have liked a chair in the room to check emails on my laptop or even just to sit somewhere other than on the bed. The walls between rooms are paper thin and I heard more than I wanted to hear from my neighbors. Otherwise, this is a very nice hotel at surprisingly affordable rates.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
A wonderful view and a great rate—that's what we're all about! Thanks for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback regarding our walls. It's definitely something we're looking in to for our future guests! In the meantime, we hope to welcome you back again next time you need a little sun, Belle-Lettrist. After all, you can't beat this view!

Thanks again,
West Bloomfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I was in Laguna for an annual event with friends and the hotel that everyone else was at was full, so I looked nearby. I was amazed to find Pacific Edge right there and at a pretty reasonable price. If you travel much and look for "value" hotels, you've likely run across at least one that appears to be either on older motel or apartment building converted into a hotel. The part of Pacific Edge that I stayed in was that kind of building. There are several distinct buildings, and I did not look at the others, so this review is only for the building immediately facing Pacific Coast Hwy.
The linens were very nice (this seems to be a common denominator with this type of hotel). The room and bathroom were clean. The staff was unfailingly nice and helpful.
The downside is that when these buildings are converted, they almost never replace the windows or HVAC systems, at least in my experience. A lot of road noise came through the windows because they are not well sealed - it's not worth the cost in this area. The HVAC had no heat, and when I asked I was told that all the heaters were taken (who needs heating in southern California? Me when it's in the dead of Winter and it's pretty cold outside). The TV didn't work, but that was not a big deal for me, as I was just looking for the weather report, but if you watch much TV when traveling, it might be a problem if the problem wasn't fixed. The door to the bathroom was a but banged up around the edges - just normal wear, and it was clean - showing the age of the building.
If I stayed here again, I would likely pay a little more for one of the rooms in another building farther away from the street.
Also, note that the only parking is valet. There is, however, a loading area at the office where you can pick up or drop off.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room away from the street, if available.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your feedback. Although I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that you were a bit chilly during your visit. We should have had a heating unit available for you, and I'll speak to our team about this right away. That aside, you left some great suggestions for us, and we'll keep them in mind as we continue our renovations. Thank you, and we hope you'll keep us in mind next time you need to get away.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is on a beautiful area of Laguna beach. Our room was not all that large and appeared somewhat old and run down but the price was reasonable for the location, overall location great but hotel was not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Sorry you were disappointed with your room. We're currently in the midst of making the necessary upgrades for our guests, but we wish we had been able to show you a better time. Still, we're glad that you loved being so close to the beach, and we hope to have you back next time you need a little sun. We know we have what it takes to show you a fabulous vacation!

Alameda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

There are several buildings, some on the beach and some behind the beach front ones. We booked a room here based on its location. We had got a room in the back building and decided to go for the deluxe rather than the basic room. The deluxe featured a kitchenette, which was great because we like to eat breakfast in. The windows faced the back of the ocean front buildings, but you could glimpse the ocean between the buildings. The room on the other side of the building faced PCH and must have been very noisey all night.

Downside:
Kitchenette had seen better days, rust at the bottom of the fridge, worn cabinet finishes. You have to ask for dishes and utensils. All had seen better days.
One wall AC/heater with fan. This was the only ventilation source. Had to leave it on all day, otherwise the room got very stuffy.
Wifi never worked.
Bed side lamps switches where broken. Had to twist the bulbs to turn on and off.
Furniture was well worn and scuffed.
Window latches were broken, we were provided a wooden stick to secure the windows closed.
No elevator in our building. Awkward stair steps connecting the buildings. Watch your footing!!
Parking is an extra $24 per day.

Upside:
Location!! Access to the beach with chairs and sun umbrellas provided, 2 pools and 1 hot tub.
Near the center of town and all its activities.
10% off on local stores, restaurants and business.
Polite customer service. Great coffee at main enterance.
Parking in the residental area can be found in about 2 blocks.
Cleaning staff is excellent!!
Very quite even with the large number of families with young children.

In summary, we would stay here again for it's location on the beach side of PCH and proxcimity to the center of town. Some of the other buildings in this hotel complex seem to have been recently rennovated and the furnishings seem newer. But you have to have stayed here before to know which building is renovated and which one has not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the beach front.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Although it is clear that we were unable to offer you a five-star visit, it's very encouraging to see that you enjoyed your trip. I'm thrilled that you look forward to visiting us again, and I can assure you that you'll be very impressed once all of our renovations are complete. Until then, thanks for your honest feedback, and please let us know if you have any further suggestions—we're all ears!

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We visited this hotel for several days in nov 2012, our family's first trip to disney and legoland. We booked on expedia, wanting a mid point between our two destinations. Upon arrival I was uneasy, as motels with the outside doors freak me out. Upon check in, we were greeted with the absolute best staff we have ever encountered! It is amazing, considering customer service in our country is declining rapidly. They truly appear to love their jobs, and we will return to this hotel next time we go to the area. Our children received a cute little bucket of sand toys, dinner on site with views and the serene sounds of ocean waves was awesome. The blankets they provided as the evening chilled in the semi outdoor restaurant were a thoughtful touch. The rooms aren't glitzy and are dated, but were very clean, and I felt like I was staying in an extremely laid back beach condo. Never again will I make assumptions just because of the exterior room access. We felt completely safe the entire trip, and I highly recommend any employer in the hospitality business send their staff to train with these amazing people. Heck, all of us can take a lesson from the level of respectful, kind, and accommodating service of the staff at this location. I am now wondering if we would experience the same at all join de fiver hotels? Kudos to you all, spread the love to the rest of the planet please!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Wow, April! We couldn't have asked for kinder words, especially regarding our staff. I'm thrilled that they made you and your family feel so welcome, and they're going to be even happier to know that, too. Thanks so much for the kind words, and for making us a part of your vacation. We'd love to welcome you back whenever you need a little R & R!

Warm regards,
Bill Tremper, General Manager

Been to Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!