“Great hotel in outstanding location with unique view” 5 of 5 stars

Montage Laguna Beach
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great hotel in outstanding location with unique view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Highly recommendable hotel e.g. for guests who search a romantic place with outstanding view on the ocean. The hotel is located at the South Coast Highway directly on the sea. The lobby-level is in an upper level of the hotel and you go downstairs to the pool, terrase and ocean as it is built in terrasse-style on a hill. The hotel offers 250 rooms but does not seem that big. You can enjoy breakfast on the balcony with view at the oceon. The breakfast is simply delicous, also we had dinner in 2 of the hotel´s restaurants: The Mosaic Bar & Grill and The Studio, which is located in a separate building in the park of the hotel at pool-level.
At the opposite of the hotel there is a drugstore for any needs.

• Stayed November 2010
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
We thank you for your recent visit to the resort and are grateful that you chose to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed a romantic and rejuvenating getaway. Your praise of Mosaic and Studio is sincerely appreciated. We hope to share many more relaxing experiences with you. The incredible ocean views and beautiful setting will be waiting for you when you return.

738 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Simple...if you have the money to stay here, you'll enjoy it. Outstanding location, simply beautiful....you know it used to be a trailer park.

You'll enjoy you stay and feel like a king if you stay here. But, keep in mind this all comes at a price. If I were paying for it, I probably would feel differently.

If you can't afford it, by al means stop by to see the view and have a drink or a walk around the property. Public parking is nearby.

But if you can afford it, book a room and enjoy one of the best experiences you can have.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
I would like to take a moment and thank you for your great feedback of Montage Laguna Beach and for your most recent visit. I am pleased that you were pampered during your stay and treated “like a king.” We could only hope all of our guests share the same sentiments.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more relaxing experiences. I would like to encourage you to continue to check our website for availability as we do have special offers and packages throughout the year. We hope you will visit us again and we can become your new home away from home.

Warm Regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We are frequent visitors of the Montage and have had dinner there several times at the Studio restaurant. Our dining experiences, though expensive, have been very memorable and special.

We also have stayed at several high end hotels (Four Seasons, The Ritz, St. Regis, etc.) so we had the same level of expectations for this hotel (especially since the rates at the Montage are a lot more expensive than these high end hotels).

We decided to stay there for the first time for our 1 year wedding anniversary. When they checked us in, they put us in a noisy room above the pool equipment. We did not complain because we are not the complaining type. We tried to make the best of it.

When we went to the pool, the service was horrible and non-existent. During our entire time at the pool all weekend, we only got 2 rounds of service for food and drinks. We had to get up several times to get ourselves drinks and food. Not the quite level of service you expect from a $600/ night minimum stay hotel.

When we checked out of the hotel, we called several times to help us with our luggage and waited for the bellman for over an hour and a half. Each time we called, they said they would be right up...so we waited... and waited. After waiting and receiving no help, we had to take all of our luggage down ourselves, which took 2 trips.

We talked to the Manager about our experiences at the hotel, and he seemed apologetic but did not do anything for us to make our experience right. He asked for our information, so it seemed like he was going to follow up with a letter but we never got anything.

We love the Montage, it's grounds and it's restaurants. We will visit, but will save our money for our stays at the Four Seasons that has customer service figured out.

Next time we are in Laguna, we will stay at the Surf & Sand where the rooms and the people are nicer and the views BLOW the Montage out of the water.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your one year wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend such as special occasion at Montage Laguna Beach. We are grateful for your continued loyalty Studio, and hope to instill the same sense of loyalty for the entire resort.

I would like to express my disappointment that you did not receive the excellent level of service Montage is known for. The lack of attention at the pool bar as well as the long delays with our bell service was unacceptable. I apologize on behalf of the manager you spoke with as the issues you expressed should have been followed up with immediately. I would like to revisit these issues in order to properly follow up with you. I will send you a private message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed here as one of our stops driving from San Francisco to San Diego along highway 1.

On arrival, we were taken straight to the room for checkin plus there was a half bottle of chilled sparkling wine to greet us! We were in room 572 which was lovely with great views. The furnishings were delightful and the bed was so comfortable. I usually wouldn't even think to comment on the bathrobes provided by a hotel, but the ones here were so soft and comforting I could have worn them the entire stay!

The service is impeccable. The grounds are gorgeous with a lovely swimming pool. We had drinks in the lobby bar - a spectacular view from the terrace but also spectacular prices.

We had dinner both nights at the Loft restaurant in the hotel. The first night the service was absolutely impeccable and the food was great too. Gary in particular was very very helpful and gave us written suggestions for dinner in San Diego and even printed the English football results for my husband! The second night - the service was good but not as attentive as the night before - there was a big (corporate?) dinner down below on the terrace so we felt maybe that all the top waiters were there?

The weather at the end of October was wonderful and we spent the day down by the pool lounging on beach chairs looking out to pacific - bliss!

I had a reflexology session in the spa - very relaxing and one of best spas I have been to - sauna, steam room, relaxing room with fire etc etc.

This was by far the most expensive place we stayed on our road trip but it was also the most relaxing and luxurious.

When we left our car stocked with water and there were 2 baseball hats on the dash, which is a nice touch.

A couple of things that did bug us and the reason for 4 rather than 5 stars - charging for internet access - what is that about? The Montage was the only place we stayed on our road trip that did this. And valet parking charges? For a top class hotel, this is ridiculous penny-pinching!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
We are truly delighted that you counted Montage Laguna Beach among one of the many highlights of your road trip. From the furnishings, to the incredible view, to the excellent service and relaxing time in the spa, it sounds like your stay here was just what you needed to break up a memorable vacation.

Thank you for your feedback regarding both the internet and valet charges. I am disappointed that these two components put a damper on an otherwise flawless stay. I would be happy to follow up with you personally and discuss how we can amend any such issues your next visit. I will send you a private message with my information. Please feel free to call me.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

From the moment we arrived at the hotel until the moment we left early Tuesday morning we knew we were at a very special place.

There was no detail left unattended to. From our check in to the service we received at the pool to the very special birthday cake your pastry chef made for our daughter's 2nd birthday...everything was perfect. We've traveled around the world before and after having our daughter and I would be remiss to not share how truly wonderful an experience this was for us.

The details provided in our room for our daughter were amazing. We've stayed at many high end hotels and this truly was the BEST crib she's ever had away from home. I loved that the hotel also had a diaper pail. One of the little comforts in life when you have kids. A stand out moment of our stay was when we returned from an afternoon at the pool after we checked in and the gentleman who helped us check in had left a very personalized birthday card and gift for our daughter. Such a thoughtful thing to do.

I was weary of booking our trip through Expedia since I have had a bad experience before but it was great to not feel like our stay was not any different then if we had booked directly through the hotel.

I can't say enough about our stay at the resort.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Good day,

Thank you for your trip to Montage Laguna Beach and your praise on TripAdvisor. We constantly strive to give our guests a perfect experience by paying close attention to details. I am delighted that your experience was nothing short of this. Happy belated birthday to your daughter; I hope this will continue to be a special place for the both of you. We look forward to many more years of celebrating.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We spent an early December weekend at Montage. We'd stayed in Laguna Beach several times before, but not recently and not since Montage opened. Our room on the second floor had a nice view of the ocean and pool area; the balcony was very comfortable for sipping coffee and watching the sea lions frolic in the morning. (There is complimentary guest coffee on the 4th floor--go get it because room service is quite costly!)
As another review mentions, Montage does not have many places to sit quietly with a book except one's room, or perhaps outdoors. The lobby areas are quite busy. It was fairly quiet when we were there--only a few very well behaved children, but we wonder if it's hectic in summer, especially around the pool area, when many families are there. There does not seem to be a "quiet pool" or "quiet jacuzzi" area.
The room was lovely and comfortable; amenities high quality. Housekeeping was impeccable; valet service was fine but we did not use the car at peak times.
The resort experience is better and better value than the dining experience (see my review of the Studio for dinner).
The location is fabulous, suitable for clifftop or beach walks and an easy drive to Crystal Cove and Laguna Wilderness parks, where we did a lot of hiking.
We'd love to come back when we are in the OC area but are not so sure about dining there. Lunch (with a view) may be a better value. We'd tried lunch at Montage this past October at Loft and that inspired us to stay there on the next trip!
PS Although $15.95 for a week of Internet service is not bad, how about upping the room charge a couple of bucks and losing the fee? Seems like being nickle-and-dimed and face it, room-price conscious travelers are not coming here anyway! Ditto for valet parking--must be a major profit center in OC because the Hyatt also charged in the $30/night range!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Good day,

Thank you for your recent visit to Montage Laguna Beach. We are grateful for the opportunity to give you and your husband a relaxing getaway. I appreciate your feedback regarding your desire for more tranquil resort areas, and hope to welcome you back to redefine your experience with us. I will be sending you a private message including my contact information. Please do not hesitate to call me if you would like to discuss your experience further.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

From the moment you are required to valet your car the service is impeccable. The rooms are beautifully designed and finished, no question. We arrived having stayed at Rancho Valencia where we had a private villa. Same cost.

Accostomed as I am to enjoying a cup of tea in the morning, Rancho had a kettle and china cups and a fully stocked fridge included in the room. At Montage One pot of hot water and one tea bag delivered to our room $19.25. You know its coming, but I would prefer to just get up and boil a kettle, is this service or overcharging. At Rancho there were fully stocked laundry rooms if you needed to wash anything , mitigating the need to pay $15 for a t shirt or such. Oh and free Wifi. Montage wanted you to pay. Although the shoe shine serice was a practical idea and a nice nod back in time, appreciated.

Funny thing for such a huge resort (250 rooms) no comfy public places to sit and read a book or such. One huge room on entry level which, unsurprisingly always bustling with arrivals and photo opps of the great view. If the weather doesn't allow sitting outdoors you are limited.

Now here s the BIG gripe. If you fancy nipping down to the spa and having a steam you are not welcome unless you have booked a treatment. The steam and plunge pools being in the locker rooms .Rationale being that the don't have that much room. Well I have never been turned away as a paying ($650 a night rack rate) guest before anywhere (usual list of wonderful places, even one and only Pamilla). They were polite yet fim and I felt that this was not on at all. I was asked to return after 5 or before 9am which suited them not I..
Food was lovely, drinks were super.
Bottom line is if you like a large property and money really isnt an issue, not affording it per se, but feeling you had value for money.. this is a wonderful place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Good day,

We thank you for your recent visit to Montage Laguna Beach and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for the disappointment you experienced during your time with us. We continually strive to become our guest’s destination of choice by providing truly customized service. Considering what a seasoned traveler you are I especially appreciate your feedback. We would be honored to welcome you back to the resort and provide the seamless experience that Montage is known for. If you would like to discuss your experience further please call me personally at 949-715-6202.

Todd Orlich

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!