“Perfect room, service, view and amenities” 5 of 5 stars

Montage Laguna Beach
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect room, service, view and amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have stayed at the Montage about six times over the last 5 years and every stay has been incredible. The rooms are not the over the top "stuffed" luxury of a Ritz Carlton, but are authentic luxurious beach rooms. Incredible views and every amenity that you would expect from a five star hotel.

I have stayed at the best hotels in Hawaii, Mexico etc and would rank The Montage at the top!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Montage Laguna Beach and for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor. We are honored to be your destination of choice, especially considering what a seasoned traveler you are. We look forward to providing many more relaxing visits.

747 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Never have I seen a resort run with such attention to detail. Of course Laguna is a wonderful place to be, but I would say our three night stay was not long enough. There are interesting aspects of the resort for anyone of any age, interest, and is dog friendly too.

I loved the beach with the crashing waves, little alcoves, and "tidepools". These are small see communities for fish, crab, shrimp, starfish, and sea urchants. The tide and the rock formations create these communities for beautiful sights that are montiored by naturalist who are very informative as well.

Maybe you would rather observe the resident hawks on the property. Four to six Hawks are on the property throughout the day. The owner and trainer is with them, but is very helpful in talking about the birds and you can photograph them all day. They are on call to keep the sea birds from pertering the guests.

Then there are the sunsets. The people come from everywhere to sit on a picnic bench or layout on a stretch of sand with a bottle of wine and a snack.

Thats just the start...

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Good Day,

We thank you for sharing your praise and feedback on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear that attention to detail by the associates and the beautiful beach below us made for a relaxing stay. I’m glad you took time to explore the tide pools and that you also enjoyed speaking with our resort falconneer. We look forward to making your next stay just as memorable; I hope you’ll be able to stay longer and enjoy the breathtaking sunset night after night.

Best,

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Absolutely top notch service the entire time, ultra clean hotel and rooms, fantastic pool and the view is just amazing. This place is expensive and well worth it.

My wife and I did a free Beach Bootcamp in the morning one day and it was a serious workout, i thought i was going to have a heart attack. They said we burned about 800 calories in the hour long class on the beach. Luckily the bellhop gave me directions to an In-n-Out Burger so I could get those calories back asap.

The views from the rooms, pool and dining are out of this world.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Montage Laguna Beach. I’m delighted to hear that your accommodations were comfortable and you enjoyed the breathtaking view. We strive to give every guest truly customized service, I am pleased to hear that you had such a great work out and experience at beach boot camp. Your appreciation and commendation has been shared with the wellness team. We look forward to making your next stay just as memorable.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

They refused to wait on us in the restaurant because we wanted the wine pairings tasting menu. Said we might get drunk. Why have a wine pairing menu if you don't want to serve it. Would never go back there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Stayed here for my birthday and my experience at the Montage was different than what I was expecting and so left the resort with mixed feelings. A half bottle of champagne is a nice welcoming gift. For the best views, do request an upper level South facing room. You will have beautiful views of the white sand beach with lovely light blue water. Wonderful bath amentities abound including robes and slippers.

The Montage offers beach lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas for their guests. You will be sharing the beach with the locals (in the know) who also utilize the beautiful cliffside walk, bathrooms and ramp to the beach. Do check out the arch at the beach and walk to Aliso creek and back. The pool attendants will set you up at luxurious cushioned chaise lounges. The best views are front and center overlooking the beach, these spots go quickly. I was surprised at the number of small kids in the pool and hot tub. The demographic at the resort was definitely young families with kids 6 and under. This was a surprise to me, the large number of small kids, many with nannies in tow, were quite unruly and boisterous. Not the calm, relaxing experience I was anticipating. It was the end of summer however, so this could change with the seasons.

The best part of staying at the Montage is the staff, who are truly incredible, from Britney at the front desk to Dominique at The Loft. Do take advantage of the compimentary fitness classes. Denise and Aurora were wonderful yoga instructors with a studio that faces the ocean. Shane will give you a good walk and tough workout. Kudos to the fitness staff! If it is too loud at the main pool, ask if you can swim some laps and soak at the spa pool. They are accomodating to hotel guest if it is not too busy. I would think that adult hotel guests should be able to use the spa pool as an adult pool anytime.

Eating dinner at The Loft was uninspiring. The soup was good, the salad was very basic. I was looking forward to the coffee crusted New York Steak that I had read about. It was overcooked and tough, not worthy of the $42 price tag. My wife's lamb was also overcooked and tough, very disappointing as they went zero for two on the entrees. The cheese sommelier was delightful and prepared some interesting tastes for us. The wait staff was very young, but very polished in their service. For dinner, I would highly recommend Mozambique down the road towards Laguna Beach. Twice as good at half the price!

Finally, I found the fact that the staff is trained to stop and pin themselves against the wall as you pass to be very obsequious and unnerving. I know they are trained to do this by the management, but I found it very distasteful. After all we are all human beings and just because I am a guest at the hotel, I don't feel that I am better than the staff. I wouldn't mind holding the door open for them sometimes!

The Montage hats make a nice parting gift, now it's off to the Terranea resort in Palos Verdes for rest of the weekend!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
We thank you for sharing your experience at Montage Laguna Beach on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to hear that you were treated so graciously by the associates. Your appreciation and commendation has been shared with the team. Thank you for also sharing your experience at The Loft; it was certainly not to our Montage standard. Your feedback is very important as we strive to make every guest’s experience perfect. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best,

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

The main disappointment was with food quality. I ate at the loft and both poolside outlets and despite the pretty pictures, wonderful description, and awards the food was extremely average with generally slow service. It ranked about the same as a business class hotel, not the extravagant indulgence I would expect. I recommend eating somewhere else as the prices are so steep. I'd put it alongside a Longhorn.

The beach was good except they will not serve alcohol to you so you have to trudge up the hill and get this yourself. There should be some way even if you have to get this yourself due to some law that one does not have to go up and down all of the time.

We also had very large charges added to our bill that we did not make. They took them off fortunately but I HIGHLY recommend that you do not have your key card enabled for hotel charges. Use your own credit card for each one. There were also long distance charges on the bill which they said they were having some problem with. Then there is no dispute.

Another disappointment is that the Spa did not allow my children to use the pool or changing room hot tubs. They and their mother received treatments so this meant she could not enjoy them either even paying the full rate.

Get a pool chair early like after breakfast otherwise you will be out of luck. Despite the high prices you are not guaranteed a pool chair unless you burn your time a few hours before lunch to ensure this is the case. I would think you should be assigned two or so to your room.

We had also ordered a refrigerator for our room on our reservation which never came. We reminded our porter when we took us to our room, never showed up either.

This property also has a challenge when it comes to coffee makers. They don't include on in the room unless you ask. Then you get one that only works with pre-packaged coffee. We requested one with filters and finally they brought it. However it was filthy and we had to clean it. After the first pot it leaked all over my wife's clothes.

One very important fact to consider is that anyone can come into this resort to access the beach. If you drive you pay $10 ($5 with validation) to park or you can just walk in. From there you take the same elevators as guests who are paying on average almost $1000/night. I don't really like this idea as I'm used to having more security with the resort I frequent.

All in all this is a very, very high priced hotel that offers beautiful views and a nice pool and beach but fair service and below expectation food. I believe there are better values for your money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit to Montage Laguna Beach. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the issues you encountered during your time with us. We do not wish for any of our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied.

I want to assure you that we truly appreciate your feedback and make every effort to correct any issue that is not to our standards. Montage Laguna Beach prides itself on providing truly customized service with a keen attention to detail, and I apologize that you didn’t experience this during your stay. We hope to make your future stays much more memorable, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Great hotel with beautiful ocean view. The service was OK but the view will cover all errors. The electricity went off for 40 minutes at noon. But as I said the view and the freshness of the ocean breeze will subdue most of shortcomings. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Montage Laguna Beach on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that the ocean set such a beautiful backdrop for a relaxing stay. We strive for every experience you have with us to be perfect, and I apologize for any issues you encountered that didn't meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Todd Orlich

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!