“Some of the Best Service in The Business” 4 of 5 stars

Montage Laguna Beach
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Chicago
“Some of the Best Service in The Business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and had a couple of free days and decided to stay at The Montage Resort in Laguna Beach for our anniversary. We have stayed twice before and have always had a good experience. The spa is very pampering and the hotel location, right on the ocean, is the best spot on the coast.

When we arrived at our room they had a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice (the good stuff!) and the most amazing chocolates (made in house) with a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Even better, when we were down at the spa, one of the gals that worked there overheard us say we were there for our anniversary and she made up a gift bag of lotions and a candle and brought it to us while we were sitting by the pool (complete with a bow!)

Also, the food, albeit pricey is excellent quality. We had breakfast, dinner and lunch (at the Restaurant by the Spa and the Restaurant right below the lobby level) and were impressed with the portions and the taste.

It was unseasonable warm when we visited and we wanted to hang out down by the beach for the day. However beach service is closed after Labor Day. But true to Montage's attitude that they will do whatever they can to make your stay memorable, they had 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella waiting for us on the beach when we walked down. It's a pricey place, but unlike a lot of expensive 5-star hotels, these guys make it worth the cost.

Note: The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because every time we have been there we try to get an upgrade with our Amex Platinum and we never are able to get it. Last time we went in the middle of the week and were surprised nothing was available. Seems like they may want to stop offering the Amex "deal" if they never have it available as it does cause bad feelings after 3 tries (all stays were on the off season in the middle of the week). Although I seem to have that issue with my Platinum card a lot lately (last place was the Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco). Maybe I just need to find a new credit card ;)

Room Tip: Get the top floor on the South wing of the hotel for best views and quiet rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

After spending some wonderful vacations at Montage Beverly Hills, my wife and I recently stayed at Montage Laguna Beach. Based on our experiences at the Beverly Hills property, we had high expectations. They may have been too high.

The Good:
*The restaurant - STUDIO - is located on the property and is fantastic. My wife and I enjoyed a 3hr+ meal complete with outstanding service, great food and wine, and a first class atmosphere. The staff is incredibly friendly, competent, and delivered an outstanding experience.
*The service all-around was very good, particularly the staff at LOFT, the casual restaurant on-site which handled a mad lunch rush on a Saturday afternoon like pros. Remembering a guest's name always goes a long way. This property makes a concerted effort to do just that and it is appreciated.
*The gym is more than sufficient and offers outstanding ocean views which makes working out a lot more enjoyable than usual.
*The complementary car service in town makes dining out really easy. The service was prompt, the drivers were courteous, and the car is impeccably clean. I highly recommend taking advantage of this service.

The Less-than-Good:
*Nothing at Montage Laguna Beach is necessarily bad. Again, the basis of comparison (Montage Beverly Hills) is excellent, so these "flaws" are noticeable largely because of that.
*The on-site casual restaurant, LOFT, offers a free coffee bar literally at the entrance of the restaurant. This is awesome. However, if you eat breakfast at the restaurant and order a coffee, you're charged $7. That's just poor taste.
*Luxury hotels that charge guests for wi-fi access are dwindling. Unfortunately, the hotel charges $10+/day for wi-fi. Guests don't like to feel nickle-and-dime'd. If the hotel really wants the revenue, just build it into the price of the room.
*Sunday morning at 9am my wife and I awoke to the sound of drilling. Maintenance is expected, but commencing drilling on a Sunday morning is a detail that shouldn't be overlooked.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your compliments of our food and beverage outlets; I only wish your entire experience had been flawless. We are eager to amend your impression. Please reach out to me with the contact information I left you in a private message. We appreciate your patronage at our sister property and are confident that your next visit to Montage Laguna Beach will not disappoint.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I told my wife that I would stay another night in the Laguna area on one condition....we leave the Ritz and go to the Montage. Was I so glad we did. From the minute you walk in, this hotel has a "wow" factor. It's not a grand hotel in any fashion. It's intimate, beautiful, romantic. and will leave you wanting to come back for more. The lobby area and bar area has an amazing view of the pool and coast below. The beaches are spectacular here. Pool is heated to 82 all year round and the grounds are beautiful.

The rooms are very well appointed with a fully stocked mini bar and a beautiful bathroom with a nice large tub for your wife to soak away.

We had a fantastic dinner at The Loft with great service. They even have a Fromerge, which most hotels don't have. I believe here name was Cami. She came out to find out what cheeses we like and don't like and put together the most amazing cheese platter. Kudos to her!

We enjoyed listening to the piano in the lounge area upstairs and Emma (waitress) was a delight.

This hotel serves up the best and I am looking forward to our return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I’m so glad you decided to join us before your trek home. I am certain that many more wonderful, romantic getaways await you at Montage Laguna Beach.

Warm regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Montage Laguna for 6 nights with husband and two children while travelling the US. This is a spectacular hotel with amazing views. The room was spacious with two queen beds and beautifully fit out with french doors that overlooked the ocean and pool view.
We were close to the hotel lobby and got a lot of noise from other guest hanging out on the lobby balcony at night.

The breakfast was very disappointing and i found the fact they charge $10 for a (takeaway) latte and $30+ dollars for a club sandwich by the pool a little over the top. Over all the food at the hotel needs improvement.

The service we received from the staff was disappointing, they were rude and very unfriendly, we expected a lot more for the price we paid per night!

The free car service into Laguna was great and the driver was lovely..except you were waiting along time for them to come even if you had booked in a time to be collected.

I would love to return here one day as i loved Laguna, i just really hope that next time we visit there is a BIG improvement with the attitude and overall service of the staff, it definitely has potential to be an amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Not near the Lobby and all rooms have an ocean/pool view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Please view the private message I sent you with my contact information. I am disappointed that your stay was subpar, and assure you this was certainly not to our Montage standard. We do not wish for any of our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied, and wish for every experience you have with us to be perfect. We are eager to welcome you back and redefine your impression. I look forward to hearing from you.

Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This weekend, I surprised my husband with a two night stay at The Montage Laguna Beach for his birthday. I had planned a scavenger hunt down the coast for him, and we stopped at many places to get clues until we finally ended up at The Loft for lunch. All staff members, including Mr. Todd Orlich, were extremely helpful in assisting me with our stay so that the big scavenger hunt would go off without a hitch. After we finished our lunch at The Loft, our server, Eric, brought out the final clue for my husband with his dessert, which led him to our room. Eric made our dining experience fantastic, as he always does. After dessert, we went to find the final clue taped on our room door. I had decorated our room when I checked in earlier in the day with gifts, balloons, and flowers, so when my husband walked into the room, it was like a little surprise party.

We spent two wonderful nights at The Montage, and all service was phenomenal, from the pool to the valets to housekeeping. For my husband's birthday, they sent champagne, which was a nice gesture, although we do not drink alcohol. During the day, the weather was perfect. On Saturday, we sat by the pool and watched as they put up the spectacular Christmas tree. On my husband's actual birthday evening, I made reservations at The Studio for dinner, and I am so thankful I did. It was truly incredible! I will review the dining experience separately. I do not know why we waited so long to try The Studio!

It was the perfect place to surprise my husband for his birthday weekend! The views, the service, and the food were all excellent. The Montage really is my favorite local hotel in Orange County, and we will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever been too! Really amazing indeed! The views are fantastic and the service is really good. The town is small and there is not much to do in the evenings, however its only a 15-20 min drive to a more happening town.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed in a basic room for four nights at Montage Laguna on October. Everything about the property was outstanding, including some of the best views you will see anywhere. There's a certain understated elegance about the hotel that really appealed to me. But it was the service that was truly outstanding. Each staff member truly seemed genuine and was very, very polished. When I lleft here I stayed at two different very high end luxury properties for business in Northern California, and there was simply no comparison. If it's humanly possible for me to return in 2014 I will be doing so. If I had any critique at all it is that for a very basic breakfast, it's simply over the top on the pricing. I am prepared to pay some permium at a wonderful place like this, but it was too much in my view. After one breakfast, I went off property for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ocean front or view might well be worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!