“Absolutely amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
San Diego, California
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I read the reviews and though the price was steep, my husband and I decided that it seemed worth trying for a few nights on a little getaway. I was blown away by how lovely the hotel was. We were on a mini-babymoon and I mentioned that when they asked about special occasions upon my phone booking. From the moment we arrived, it seems that their very well connected computer system let everyone know our name and what we are celebrating. They had champagne and apple cider delivered to our room to celebrate after upgrading our room. I was congratulated at every restaurant on the property. The room and view were gorgeous. It was, however, the pool that made us cancel our next reservation in temecula to stay longer. It is huge and heated to 82 degrees. We spent all day there and had lunch and snacks throughout the day while looking out to the ocean. There was a lap pool that wasn't as warm (per my husband) as well but I had zero interest in leaving the main pool. We spent some time in the gym on breaks away from the pool during which I worked out on machines while looking over the lap pool to the beautiful ocean view. All the staff were great. My only complaints would be that the spa is far too expensive, even compared to other luxury hotels we have stayed at. Additionally, The Studio (their fine dining restaurant) could have somewhat better food for the cost though the service and atmosphere were spectacular. We will most certainly stay here again if we make our way up from San Diego for any reason at all in the future. Of note, the location is a bit of a hike from the main street and restaurants in Laguna Beach so a car is a must and valet will cost you steep. We spent most of our time at the hotel and had a car to go our for dinner so not too big of a deal for us but something to consider.

745 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I came to this resort with my husband and 2 children for the weekend and we had a great time! First off, there was a slight mixup with our reservation and the personal service and accommodation by the General Manager, Todd Orlich, was much appreciated! Thank you Mr. Orlich! We enjoyed the beautiful beach and the attendants at the pool and gym were exceptional. I would highly recommend this resort as a very special and relaxing getaway location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I looovvveee the Montage. For a quick get away, we spent the weekend at the Montage and I enjoyed every second of my time at the resort. Other reviewers have accurately covered the suites/rooms, restaurants and setting, so I will offer a few tips for making your stay perfect:

1. Do your research and make sure you reserve the room/suite that offers the view YOU want to have. Once you check in confirm with the front desk that the room you are being shown to is the room type you reserved. Even after confirmation from the front desk and employee escorting you to your room/suite, if you believe you received a different room/suite than reserved, say something. No one is perfect and the Montage will do everything possible to ensure your happiness.

2. Book at least one 60 minute appointment at the spa. The services are outstanding and the facial I just had with Loreta was one of the best facials ever! If you book a spa service, you have access to the fitness center and the spa's private sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and pool for the balance of the day. The spa pool is for adults only and is more quite than the beautiful and busy main pool.

3. If the hostess in the main dining room tells you that the tables of four by the windows are reserved for larger parties, don't be so ready to accept that response. My party of two asked to sit at the four open tables by the window and were told they were already reserved for larger parties. After dining and upon exiting the restaurant, we noticed that all of the parties sitting at the tables were couples. This was my only let down for the weekend, but was relatively minor, so I am over it. Sorta.

4. Engage your bellman. Our bellman, Paddy, was OUTSTANDING! He was very helpful about resources and additional services we had available to us, restaurants in the area and was very responsive to our requests.

5. If you don't want to drive in Laguna to the art galleries, not to worry. The Montage has many beautiful paintings located throughout the hotel.

6. Have a drink or coffee in the lobby's lounge and enjoy the spectacular view of the ocean at anytime throughout the day.

7. Book a return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is my second time staying at this property and they continue to offer excellent service, pristine accommodations, and a wonderful staff. The only problem was we stayed in a suite on the first level at the bungalows side and there was a family with kids above us which were very loud. The kids jumped and ran from one end f the room to the other, which impeded in our R&R. We were going to call management but since we were unpacked and settled in, we decided there was probably nothing they can do. So I highly advice to check who your neighbors are if you're staying on the lower levels. If you're going to spend over $1000 a night, it's pretty ridiculous someone is running a jungle gym above you.

With that said, the resort is absolutely gorgeous! Take advantage of the beach access and the walkway to see the beautiful coastal homes and to gain access to the PCH; where you can walk across for a supermarket run, Starbucks, or a quick bite other than what the resort offers.

You can also catch a free shuttle to downtown Laguna. It's about 2 miles away and you don't have to worry about parking or traffic. It runs about every 15 mins or so.

In the resort, I took advantage of the fitness room and classes. The fitness room faces the ocean and it has a private adult pool. They offer classes and activities throughout the day. I took a Barre class with Lisa and she was great! Very helpful in targeting my fitness weakness and made it fun. I wish I was staying longer so I could take her other classes. Let's just say I felt results the very next day.

I highly recommend a night cap at their lobby bar. Nightly live music and a chill atmosphere seals the deal for a perfect vacay day.

Again, no complaints here except for the guests but I suppose you can't control that. Otherwise it would of been a perfect 10

Room Tip: Stay higher floors or find out if guests around you have a dog or small uncontrollable children
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Excellent in all areas. The service is wonderful - the staff is friendly, gracious and always helpful. The grounds are gorgeous and the atmosphere is relaxing. There are spotlights that shine out into the ocean and we went and sat on a bench late every evening to watch the ocean waves. It was so peaceful! We will be going back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just got back from a wedding at the Montage. The day we arrived we pulled up to the valet and it seemed like the entire hotel staff was there to greet us. Everyone was there to serve. Our room was simple luxury.

The wedding rehearsal was on the manicured lawn that was better kept than a golf course. The views were spectacular. The wedding planner was actually the only person we encountered the entire time that was unpleasant.

The wedding itself was right out of a movie. The weather was perfect, the setting was perfect and went off perfectly.

The food at the receptions was really good, but admittedly, the ballroom was just like every other ballroom in most nice hotels. All in all, the hotel was fabulous. Whether getting married or just for vacation, the Montage was awesome.

Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Traveling with my husband during the Fourth of July holiday I was nervous that the resort would be over run with little ones-as per many prior reviews. Don't get me wrong, I live kids, just looking for rest and relaxation and no drama or stress this vacation. Well, we got it. And then some. We booked a spa appointment each day so that we were able to use the spa pool. Didn't even attempt to sit at the regular pool. Got up early to reserve two chairs. Once that was done, the pool experience was most enjoyable. I have to imagine that the chairs around the pool are more available on a non holiday weekend. Anyway, the view was spectacular. The service is truly outstanding. The servers anticipate your every need and wish. During the day, the servers come around offering little tastes of certain things- nuts, fruit, smoothie- served in little cups - always seemed that it was just what you wanred at the moment. The service was uber attentive, but youthful in its delivery, not at all stuffy. The severs were responded like a well choreographed team. Oh yeah, loved everything else about the hotel too. A must stay

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!