“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Grayslake, IL
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We just stayed from March 10th thru the 18th. The best service we have ever received and the rooms were delightful. Only bummer was all the clouds that hung over the resort while we were there. We brought our 2 doxies with us and had one of the lower level rooms. They are perfect! They still have a lovely view and right outside the doors is a really pretty grassy area so you can easily let them out.

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The night we spent here was spectacular. The design of Montage perfectly complements the fantastic surroundings. The building isn't ostentatious, yet the amenities offered are outstanding. Aside from the food and the view from our room, probably the most enjoyable part of our stay was simply walking the grounds of the Montage and the very nearby beaches. Despite the fact that we arrived on a busy day, every one of the staff was welcoming and helpful. Everything was taken care of perfectly, including a complimentary bottle of champagne, excellent valet service, and top quality room service. I wouldn't change a thing about my stay at Montage.

Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The Montage Laguna Beach is easily one of nicest resorts in Southern California. The location is amazing. It is right on the beach. Every room has a breathtaking view of the ocean. There is the ocean horizon rooms and suites, witch are the standard rooms that start at $395 a night. They view the resort grounds, and ocean from the first floor. For $495 a night, there is the ocean coastal rooms and suites. They view the ocean and the resort grounds on the higher floors. The ocean surf accommodations are above the spa, and view the ocean only. They also offer bungalows and a wide selection of suites. The best part of the resort is the service. I have been to other world class resorts, and their service doesn't come close to Montage. Their dining is pricy but very good. The rooms are very nice, a very clean coastal decor. However they are a little small compare to other resorts. The resort is an elegant craftsmen style. I live in Southern California, so I go to the Montage beach a lot. Most of the resort is public. Non hotel guests can see the lobby, the beach and dine there. If you live locally, you can see the resort without paying $500+. Both valet, and self parking is available. Self parking is limited. I visit the Montage a lot, but I plan to stay there soon. Overall it is the nicest hotel in Laguna beach, and would recommend it to anyone who is willing to spend more then $500 nightly.

• Stayed April 2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was a truly beautiful hotel. We went to the nearby Ritz Carlton as well and enjoyed the Montage substantially more. Every room has an ocean view plus the views from the bar and restaurant are beautiful. They even offer a complimentary car service to take you to and from town which was very convenient.

Upon checking in the staff gives you a tour and personally walks you to your room which is a very nice touch.

My only complaint is when we requested a late check out (12pm) we were told that we can have until 1215 which was borderline insulting. We then asked to use the spa shower facilities because we were not leaving till later that night and were told we can use outdoor showers at the pool area which wasn't very helpful at all. I understand that late check out is not always an option but I have never been told I could not use real shower facilities at any other hotel I have been to.

The hotel also offers complimentary coffee in the hotel restaurant which was very nice except if you sit down and order a coffee in the same restaurant you are charged $7 which seemed a little excessive.

Besides this, the stay was excellent and I would definitely return and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I am elated that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back. I hope you will accept our apology for any less than hospitable service you received; this was certainly not our intention. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and hope to make your next visit flawless.

Warm regards,

Newport Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our third stay at The Montage Laguna Beach. We live in Newport Beach and love coming to The Montage for dinner, the fabulous spa, and every so often, a weekend getaway. When my husband got the email for reduced room rate as part of a convention, I jumped at the opportunity and booked the room immediately, so excited that this would be the perfect early birthday celebration for me.

We arrived around 11:30 on Saturday after being told that early check in was a possibility. A*****, the front desk girl who helped us, said that our room was not available and that she would take our luggage and call us when our room was ready...totally understandable. Then, she said she actually may be able to take us to our room right then, so we waited while she clicked away on her computer, our hopes rising. After a couple of minutes she said the only rooms available had two queen beds, but she would call us as soon as our King room became available. No problem. We decided to enjoy a leisurely lunch at The Loft, strolled around the property, and then sat at the pool. My swimsuit was in our luggage, so I was hoping we would get the call that our room was ready. Around 2:30, we got the call from another front desk agent saying that our room was available, but they were unable to give us a room with a King bed because they were completely sold out. I told her that we had booked the King ocean view room and A*****, at the front desk had two Queen rooms available three hours prior but told us our King ocean view room would be available later. The lady on the phone started over explaining, but when I told her what A***** had told us, she realized they had made a mistake and apologized. "Is this OK?" she asked me. I wasn't going to drive back home so I could sleep in our King bed at home, and she gave us no other options since they were fully booked. The reason it was so frustrating is because we could have gotten our Queen bed room the moment we arrived, I felt that they were trying to be sneaky about the whole thing, and deep down I know that they gave the King rooms to other patrons who were paying full price, not the convention price. I feel that check in sets the tone for your whole trip, and this just left me with a chip on my shoulder. It is a minor thing, but I live locally and come to the spa at least twice a year with friends, have purchased gift certificates for my friends, shop at the awesome gift shop whenever we spa or dine here, and we frequent the restaurants.

Anyway, when we went back to the front desk to collect our key, A***** was there to sheepishly greet us and ask if we had spoken to her friend about the Queen room situation. It kind of bothered me that A***** didn't just call us herself to tell us about the room, since it was her mistake. She walked us to our room and asked us if we were celebrating anything special. I told her that we were celebrating my birthday early since it was on Friday, and she wished me a happy early birthday. We have yet to receive any birthday amenity, but we don't check out until tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Three years ago, my husband surprised me with spending the night at The Montage for my 30th birthday, a massage at the spa, and he bought me a Diane Von Furstenberg dress at the Montage gift shop. That trip was truly special, and a magical first Montage experience! They sent a birthday plate of goodies and treated us like royalty. You can see that in my older review of this hotel.

Two years ago, I surprised my mom with a night at The Montage for her birthday in December. It was rainy and the service was not great, but I never wrote a review of that trip.

We have been blessed with fantastic weather on this weekend trip, and the property is spectacular! It is picture perfect with the ocean views and a gorgeous pool. The drinks at the pool have been great and the service was good yesterday.

The rooms are definitely starting to show their age and there are stains on the patio chair cushions and the carpet. My husband is is March Madness heaven right now enjoying the games, but the TV is ridiculously small for a hotel of this caliber. I guess if I wanted to watch a 60 inch TV and sleep in a King sized bed, we should have stayed home to have these comforts. Last night, there was a lot of foot traffic near our room and loud drunk people were out in the hallway making noise.

Room service dessert last night was phenomenal! They allowed us to order from The Loft menu last night and this morning for breakfast. See my review for The Loft, if you are interested in a wonderful dining experience.

This trip, I am not visiting Spa Montage (best spa ever!) because I'm going to the spa at Pelican Hill when we stay there this coming weekend on my birthday. I will surely be back to Spa Montage with girlfriends in either April or late June, as it is our annual tradition. I am looking forward to our weekend trip to Pelican Hill to see how it measures up to The Montage. We will see!

Room Tip: Away from The Loft to avoid foot traffic and noise. If you booked a King bed...good luck!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
It is our sincere desire to welcome you back and re-create the same great experience you had on your first visit. I truly regret that you encountered confusion at the Front Desk and an overall lackluster stay, and am eager to make this up to you. Thank you for your comments of The Loft cuisine and Spa Montage, I only hope to improve your impression of the entire resort. Please refer to the private message I sent you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Boston MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a great luxury hotel. Staff is great. Incredible views. It should get five stars, and does in many ways. But it is also a place trying to do too much for too many. As a result, instead of feeling luxuriously pampered, you end up feeling like those frantically trying to score a prime table on an overcrowded cruise ship.

The essence of luxury is leisurely doing what you want when you want. By that standard, the Montage is very far from a leisurely, luxurious place. The Spa is a prime example. Call a week ahead of time, the only appointment available is 8 30 AM. But they will “see what they can do.” Never follow up, too busy. Add a velvet rope attitude on top of this and there is a real problem. i.e. you cannot possibly have a steam bath before 5, and then maybe, just maybe we can find a way to fit you in. ( A little odd given that no one was in large steam room in two walk troughs in mid afternoon… ) The same goes for pool chairs. Get out early, they go fast. And make sure you make early reservations at the main restaurant, bytthe time you get to the hotel they may not have a table available at all.

All in all I was quite looking forward to visit, and quite disappointed by result, starting with a 4 PM arrival and being told the room was still not quite ready. In this luxe category, at these prices, you are better off going to Shutters in Santa Monica, or the Ritz in Laguna Niguel or the Ritz in Half Moon Bay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Pros. Beautiful setting, grounds, view, room
Fantastic to sleep with balcony door open

Cons: for the money I expect more than 1 person at the front desk
Long wait to check in and out, why no express check out
Snobby poorly trained staff, several times I was first in line at front desk and for a taxi....a man would show up and they would serve him first....no " who was next?"
Taxi line.....the valet told me that second taxi is yours, a man showed up, suddenly it was his taxi! Then the valet asked the man if he wanted to share to the airport, the guy looked at me, said I don't care to do that, so the valet put the guest on the spot, created an awkward situation and embarrassed me. He gave me no reason why he gave my taxi to the man, when I asked he said Oh he called for a taxi! Great than just explain that to me.

It seems like the staff has been instructed not to say no to guests, this got to be almost comical. I arrived at 9:46pm. I asked the valet if the restaurants were still open. He said yes, didn't bother to mention that they closed in a few minutes or offer to help me get in a restaurant. He did make up a story that it might be hard to get in at the studio because they usually have a lot of reservations which seemed strange for ten pm on a Wednesday night.

When I called down to ask if they were still seating the lady on the phone just kept saying, we close at ten.

Stayed March 2013
I am terribly sorry that you endured a wait on the Front Drive, and am at a loss to understand why our staff put you in an uncomfortable situation. I can certainly understand your perception, and want to assure you that I am following up with our team immediately to address your concerns. I hope we can welcome you back to the resort to re-gain faith in our service and properly introduce you to Studio. Please refer to the message I sent you with my contact information.

Todd Orlich

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!