“Beautiful Setting” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Laguna Beach
florida
“Beautiful Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is magnificent! The weather is perfect and the views are to die for. Pool area is really pretty, although it can get a little busy at times. The area is very chic. Love to visit this hotel for a few days before gong to LA. Don't miss it if your visiting the west coast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel's 2nd part is under construction and nobody told us this: we were first assigned an outdoor room overlooking the noise from the Residences which are being built, so sitting on the porch to watch the sea proved nerve-wracking from the getgo. Why would a hotel assign rooms here in the first place? When I inquired, we were moved instantly to the same-category room on the other side of the hotel w/ample rooms Jessica offered us. If there were ample rooms offered in a quite area, why not offer these FIRST to all guests? (Usually a hotel offers an amenity to guests inconvenienced by such unpleasantries, but none came). Loved how all of the staff in EVERY department knew from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out that it was my companion's 82nd birthday...this is amazing software!..Loved the decor, surroundings, room amenities, and general layout. What I would change by LOSING: workers leaving ladders in the hallways unattended (see photo), a COMPLETELY plastic array of dishes, etc, at Mosaic restaurant outdoors (this is self-contained restaurant away from the pool and there's something depressing about getting lobster salad in a plastic, scratched up bowl served on black plastic, scratched up plates), lack of consistency of tea among the lobby lounge and the Loft restaurants (former uses loose tea and latter uses bags), and LACK of food served in the elegant lobby lounge (just drinks). Lobby: That the Montage serves NO afternoon tea at any of its outlets defies explanation in a hotel of this category. Gym: cables behind the treadmills need to be sorted as they pose hazards waiting to happen. I'm not sure that having name tag-wearing staff reading the day's newspaper when guests are present is appropriate. Loft: Everyone raves about the "formagier," but the gentleman sent to our table to receive our cheeseplate order seemed rushed, disinterested in our familiarity w/cheeses, and unhappy. He seemed actually offended that we wanted to START with a cheese course instead of waiting until we finished our main courses. Seriously? This is SO not a European hotel on so many levels that I couldn't believe that attitude. Overall, I had such excitement about this experience that Montage markets as the "interactive cheese bar," but we quickly realized it all was a gimmick to get served what was the "formagier's "chef choice" of cheeses. The homemade pasta dish w/vegetables came with a "soup" of oil/balsalmico in the bottom of the dish (an Italian taboo of too much sauce), pasta noodles that were about 8 inches long each one (needing to be cut, but that's an Italian crime), though perfectly cooked al dente. The breakfast waffles deserve merit & mention: perfect.

Room Tip: Get a room FAR from the noise of the construction, probably in the 500's.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
I am grateful for your comments and plan to use them to reinvigorate our standards of excellence in all of our outlets. I agree that we should have paid greater respect to your room location, and regret that you were inconvenienced. This, along with the other inconsistencies you experienced, are incredibly disheartening and it is my intention to implement changes to ensure no other guest encounters such issues. Please respond to the private message I sent you so that we can discuss welcoming you back to redefine your experience.

Little Silver, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Being a Guest at Montage is like being in Heaven - they have the best rooms, best service, best food and overall it is the best of the best of all US resorts - they dont miss a trick and you should add to your bucket list.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Montage is a super luxury hotel with prices to match. The staff is incredibly well trained. If you ask directions, they personally escort you, no matter what else they are trying to do. The views are lovely, and the common areas take maximum advantage of them. Coffee on the observation deck off the main lobby is a perfect respite. However, they don't quite get it right. The main dining room staff interrupts your conversation to see if you like the food. Not just once, but over and over. The attentiveness is nice, but they miss the point of private conversation over a fine meal. At $100 per person without any alcohol, they should be better. While we stayed, the hotel was remodeling some rooms. Even though it was not full, we were put next to a room under construction. Hammering and sawing at 9 am on a Sunday morning was not what we expected. Why put guests next to construction when plenty of other rooms are available? All in all though, this is a top notch place, if you can afford a very steep tariff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Your comments regarding noise disturbance and service inconsistency are extremely disconcerting. I will follow up with the team immediately to address the issues you outlined. Please respond to the private message I sent you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pacific Palisades, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I just stayed at the Montage, Laguna Beach, and based off that stay, I can’t recommend the hotel to my friends or family. This trip was not only a celebration for my wife’s birthday, but our first getaway from the kids in over a year. I had hoped that the Montage’s reputation for being a solid upscale destination would make the stay a guaranteed win, but unfortunately the trip fell flat.

Here was our experience.

My wife and I, after having our second child, wanted to get away for the weekend to celebrate her birthday - our first venture out without our kids in a year - and settled on the Montage, Laguna Beach.

I dropped my wife off at the spa for a facial, then headed back to the room to relax and watch the game - something I don’t get to do at home very often. I got back to the room and the TV set didn’t work. Called the front desk and they sent down maintenance - who proceeded to spend an hour and a half in my room, swapping out the cables, changing the tv, etc. Nothing worked.

I called the front desk again to ask that they fix the TV so my wife and I could, at the very least, watch a movie together after our dinner at their restaurant, The Studio.

After returning to the room that night, the problem still wasn’t solved. We called the front desk again and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

The next morning I spoke with the acting GM on duty and he offered to pay for half of our dinner and my wife’s facial. I explained that it wasn’t about the money, but the experience for my wife and I. This wasn’t an opportunity we had often - we had set up babysitters, used points from Amex Platinum for the stay, and scheduled our in-laws to help out with the family as well. I had hoped they would’ve picked up our entire dinner and her facial, considering my afternoon and our evening was a bust, but the acting GM’s response was literally, “I don’t think it’s fair to offer you more than half your dinner and your wife’s facial because your TV didn’t work.” Obviously he didn’t understand that this wasn’t a complaint about a TV, it was a complaint about the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Please reach out to me as soon as possible at the number or email address I left you in a private message. I am at a loss to understand why your TV was not fixed in a timely manner, and resolve to get to the bottom of this issue. Please accept our sincere apologies. We are grateful that you and your wife chose to celebrate such a wonderful occasion at Montage and would like for you to return so we can redefine your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Montage Laguna is the most lovely hotel I've ever seen. It sits atop one of the most beautiful properties in California. There is a lovely walkway down to the beach where we strolled with a drink from the cliffside bar. We enjoyed the view at night by a fire pit on the cliff's edge. The service was amazing, we were greeted and escorted to our room where we were met with a bottl of wine. Our turn down service included foot cream from the spa and everything was exceptional. The bathroom was luxurious and everything we needed was at our fingertips. When we called the concierge for a cab, they let us know they would be happy to take us to our destination in the hotel car. We were driven to and from dinner, a wonderful treat. I couldn't think of a more lovely place to spend a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This one rivals the Montage Beverly Hills which also gets my 5 star vote. The rooms, housekeeping, front desk and other service personnel are top notch and well trained. The food service, including a banquet for our meeting, is also excellent and a step above most high end hotels. The gym overlooks the ocean and is quite complete for a hotel. The only small annoyance is the crowded drop off in front of the hotel. It seems to be backed up all the time. I can't think of a single reason that I wouldn't want to return to this location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!