“Breathtaking!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The first moments we entered Montage's open aired lobby in Laguna Beach, we were blown away. From the picture postcard worthy 180 degree panoramic view, to the incredibly friendly and professional staff...lounging in plush accommodations; this beachfront resort redefines spectacular.
Including the food...The lobster Benedict is a MUST have, outdoors overlooking the crashing waves! The landscaping surrounding the resort is lush. During the sunrise and sunset...we walked and kept walking along manicured arrays of cacti, flowering shrubs and wild life.

If you just want to get away to relax in opulence and enjoy life's natural beauty provided to you in spender...this is THAT PLACE!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
We were proud to be your escape from the average and hope you will enjoy many more wonderful memories with us. The lobster benedict, fabulous views and luxurious accommodations await your next visit!

Best,

Todd Orlich

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had stayed 3 times prior at the Montage over the past several years. The last time was 2008 on a company award trip over Christmas. I had a business meeting in Newport Beach that would give me the chance to stay a few extra days in the area. I really had liked the Montage before, but compared it against the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, mainly as to the deal or offer, but not looking for a give away. My stay at the Montage just made me realize how great a place it is. The atmosphere, the view, a great staff that is attentive and genuinely cares and the Lobby area with the Piano and Steve Siu is a great plus that could spend days there alone just to relax. I hope to get back again next year sometime for a longer getaway as it unfortunately is on the opposite coast.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms give a better view of the pacific ocean. There really is not a bad room ther...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

To start off, I did not select The Montage for vacation myself- while I love nice things I usually tend more towards boutique hotels and places that offer more adventure and less poolside leisure. On the other hand, after staying here the place was beautiful and the service was spectacular- attentive but unobtrusive most of the time- though occasionally a little too fussy for my own taste.

It was a nice change of pace for me and while the prices are extremely high ($70 for two people to have lunch poolside with no alcohol), I have really never received service quite so attentive. The front desk was also nice enough to move us closer to the other guests with whom we came, which I really appreciated. The live white phalaenopsis orchids, champagne, chocolate and luxury bath toiletries were also very welcome touches. The rooms overall were extremely comfortable and I enjoyed the sound systems and the extremely plush beds.

Both pools and the ocean view workout facilities were excellent. I also ended up visiting the spa twice and really enjoyed it- the facial I received was easily one of the best I have ever had and the facilities are top of the line. The esthetician was very knowledgeable, not rushed, and I did not have any irritation afterwards, meaning I enjoyed the treatment both before and after. Unfortunately, when we went all out for the couples massage, it was solid but not amazing while it was happening and ultimately resulted in a visit to the dermatologist. The two masseuses were professional but didn't seem to go above and beyond or to be very happy to be there, and whatever oil they used caused my back to break out badly enough that it had to be treated. Unfortunately, my fiance wasn't impressed, either.

Overall I really enjoyed our stay here and it was a nice change of pace for my fiance and myself but I am not sure it would be worth it to me to go back on my own. There are so many beautiful, incredible places in Laguna that I would like to explore!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 2 weeks and had a wonderful experience. We were treated like royalty from day one. The restaurants were outstanding, especially the Studio, and the views of the ocean breathtaking. We had a few issues with our suite but they were handled quickly and effortlessly by Tim Smith, one of the hotel managers. He could not have been more accomodating and understanding.Truly one of the nicest places we have ever stayed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I hope this was just one of many oceanfront retreats to Montage Laguna Beach for you and your wife. I am proud of our dedicated team of associates, and grateful that they were able to turn your experience around. Many thanks for your kind comments, we hope to see you again soon.

Todd Orlich
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel really had it all for me. A stunning location overlooking the ocean from what looked like almost every room. Great attention to detail in the rooms, every amenity you could want in terms of goodies including a candle in the lovely apointed bathroom (apart from coffee facilities in the room), always ice in your room, fabulous robes and slippers, true comfort. The gym and fitness facilites were probably among the best I have ever encountered. The front of the gym was open air so you could exercise overlooking the ocean. A pool for laps only at the gym, plus a studio room offering free classes.
The food was fabulous, service amazing, especially donw by the pool. I want to go back here as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Beautiful location ocean views. Beautiful facility, staff is very accommodating and friendly. Really nice walking path with views of the ocean and beach. This hotel is on my top 5 list of places to stay.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a place. It has everything - amazing location, beautiful rooms and truly special service. Yes, it is expensive but it is well worth it. The Montage is one of the best places that I've ever stayed at...bar none. Its hard to come up with something that is negative about this place. Just superb.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!