“Spectacular and luxurious (with price tag to match)” 5 of 5 stars

Montage Laguna Beach
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Spectacular and luxurious (with price tag to match)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

To start off, I did not select The Montage for vacation myself- while I love nice things I usually tend more towards boutique hotels and places that offer more adventure and less poolside leisure. On the other hand, after staying here the place was beautiful and the service was spectacular- attentive but unobtrusive most of the time- though occasionally a little too fussy for my own taste.

It was a nice change of pace for me and while the prices are extremely high ($70 for two people to have lunch poolside with no alcohol), I have really never received service quite so attentive. The front desk was also nice enough to move us closer to the other guests with whom we came, which I really appreciated. The live white phalaenopsis orchids, champagne, chocolate and luxury bath toiletries were also very welcome touches. The rooms overall were extremely comfortable and I enjoyed the sound systems and the extremely plush beds.

Both pools and the ocean view workout facilities were excellent. I also ended up visiting the spa twice and really enjoyed it- the facial I received was easily one of the best I have ever had and the facilities are top of the line. The esthetician was very knowledgeable, not rushed, and I did not have any irritation afterwards, meaning I enjoyed the treatment both before and after. Unfortunately, when we went all out for the couples massage, it was solid but not amazing while it was happening and ultimately resulted in a visit to the dermatologist. The two masseuses were professional but didn't seem to go above and beyond or to be very happy to be there, and whatever oil they used caused my back to break out badly enough that it had to be treated. Unfortunately, my fiance wasn't impressed, either.

Overall I really enjoyed our stay here and it was a nice change of pace for my fiance and myself but I am not sure it would be worth it to me to go back on my own. There are so many beautiful, incredible places in Laguna that I would like to explore!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 2 weeks and had a wonderful experience. We were treated like royalty from day one. The restaurants were outstanding, especially the Studio, and the views of the ocean breathtaking. We had a few issues with our suite but they were handled quickly and effortlessly by Tim Smith, one of the hotel managers. He could not have been more accomodating and understanding.Truly one of the nicest places we have ever stayed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
I hope this was just one of many oceanfront retreats to Montage Laguna Beach for you and your wife. I am proud of our dedicated team of associates, and grateful that they were able to turn your experience around. Many thanks for your kind comments, we hope to see you again soon.

Todd Orlich
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel really had it all for me. A stunning location overlooking the ocean from what looked like almost every room. Great attention to detail in the rooms, every amenity you could want in terms of goodies including a candle in the lovely apointed bathroom (apart from coffee facilities in the room), always ice in your room, fabulous robes and slippers, true comfort. The gym and fitness facilites were probably among the best I have ever encountered. The front of the gym was open air so you could exercise overlooking the ocean. A pool for laps only at the gym, plus a studio room offering free classes.
The food was fabulous, service amazing, especially donw by the pool. I want to go back here as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Beautiful location ocean views. Beautiful facility, staff is very accommodating and friendly. Really nice walking path with views of the ocean and beach. This hotel is on my top 5 list of places to stay.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a place. It has everything - amazing location, beautiful rooms and truly special service. Yes, it is expensive but it is well worth it. The Montage is one of the best places that I've ever stayed at...bar none. Its hard to come up with something that is negative about this place. Just superb.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I've been to many high end places. This was high end with a personal touch. Each staff member went out of their way to greet me by name. The pool was awesome, but the bartenders were special.

The food was really good. High end flavors with the right balance of texture and spice. Good seafood, meats and vegetarian options. The wine list was quite surprising, screaming eagle with mixes of Franciscan and Ridge.

I would definitely come back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

It's an excellent hideaway away from the hustle and bustle of California living. It's very expensive so it's an indulgement to stay here. They have a wonderful spa, excellent staff and beautiful grounds.
The beach is just down below the resort but it is easily accesible from the hotel. You basically get what you pay for...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!