“One of the best!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
pennsylvania
“One of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

Just returning from Europe makes an average well travelled American appreciate the value of excellent service. Once you step into the small busy entry of the Montage Resort, you realize that something very special is happening here. You are greeted by name and a representative whisks us away to our rooms in a matter of minutes. Impressive given the number of guests checking in and that there was a medical meeting going on this week. We were taken to our rooms where the placement of everything from the soaps, to the robes, TV, towels was immaculate. The rooms were spacious and the atmosphere was radiant. We were able to make reservations at the Studio and the Loft, both restaurants with admirable attention to detail and flavor but the experience at the Studio has left us with a blistering memory and fondness that we will be talking about for years. Every member of the staff at the Montage took an additional few seconds to acknowledge your presence and address you to see if you needed help, which was quite often given the maze of corridors and the expansiveness of the hotel. Rarely are we so impressed with the service of a hotel. This is one which has risen to the top of our list. My wife and I are making a point to return soon.

• Liked — Spacious and very comfortable.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

738 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

When I travel, price is never an object and I always seek out 5 star properties. Montage is the worst luxury resort I've ever stayed at. Where to start? The concierge was pleasant but incompetent. The front desk staff immediately upon my arrival tried to bait and switch my room to an expensive suite for an extra $500. The Pacific Ocean could barely be seen from my $895 "costal ocean view" room. The housekeeping was slow (often after 3 p,m.) and the evening turndown service after 9 p.m. I was nickel and dimmed everywhere I turned...I even had to buy my bottle water and couldn't use the adult pool unless I signed up for the spa. The food was overpriced, mediocre and the coffee was terrible. The newspaper was the absurd Orange County Registar rather than the LA or NY Times. One evening, a notice was distributed at 9 p.m. regard a possible power failure and that flashlights would distributed that night (interesting that they weren't already in the room or that the hallway's didn't have emergency lighting) but they never arrived (fortunately they weren't needed). This safety issue should never have been treated so lightly. The staff was pleasant and well-meaning but young and unprofessional and clearly the management is incompetent. Never again!

Stayed October 2007
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed at the hotel recently for a conference. We were first put in a room that overlooked a construction site and you could see the ocean only if you stretched over the balcony. Our balcony was so cramped you could hardly sit down. However, I realized I was there for work and decided not to complain. That was until they started hammering and that was enough.

We were switched to another room on the opposite side of the hotel. The walk to the room took almost 5 minutes through a maze of hallways but once inside it was totally worth it. When lying on the bed all you could see was ocean. At night we kept the sliding door open and feel asleep to the waves crashing.

The food at the hotel is excellent although everything is ridiculously expensive. I had a cobb salad that cost over $30. I guess that's to be expected in Laguna Beach.

The service at the hotel is fantastic!

Stayed September 2007
Fullerton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

The staff was the best I have ever experienced! The check in process was excellent, was given a tour before escorted to my room. The pool area was perfect. Staff was exceptional. Food in the restaurants great. A wonderful place to stay for a special occasion.

• Liked — Wonderful service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OC, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

My sister and I stayed at the Montage in May 2007, as part of a very large party. The service at the resort was excellent, with only one noteable exception: the restaurant maitre'd was really snooty and condescending. Other than that, the staff at the front desk, spa, groundskeepers, valet and maid service were extremely helpful and friendly.

We had a gorgeous beach-front room. Complimentary robes and slippers were provided. The beds were plush and very comfortable. The bathroom was opulent: huge bathtub, dual sinks, an extensive array of toiletries and bath products from their spa. And speaking of the spa.... both my sister and I availed ourselves of the services there. Simply wonderful. We each had a body scrub/massage and it was absolutely heavenly.

We breakfasted at The Loft restaurant for 2 days of our stay. I wasn't very impressed. For the price, I would much rather have brunch at the Ramos House Cafe in San Juan Capistrano. The food at The Loft was expensive and mediocre.

Last but not least... I have to mention the price. Holy cow this place is expensive! But, I'm assuming if anyone is considering staying here, they're already comfortable with paying top dollar for a room. If money were no object, I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Very Expensive
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

We celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary by having dinner at the 'Studio' restaurant and by staying a night at the Montage. We are not likely to go back because the experience was a bit of a disappointment. While the room was nice, it was nothing out of the ordinary. The package we booked included breakfast but when we asked about it, the front desk clerk was unaccommodating to say the least, bordering on rude. She disputed with us over breakfast! This is not the kind of service one would expect from a five star hotel. I agree with the previous note, definately not worth the price. Our experiences at the Ritz have always been much better.

• Liked — view
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Avon, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I had some reservation about staying at the Montage based on reading reviews on TripAdvisor, especially in context of the $895 a night room rate. I'll be as detailed as possible on all of the key aspects of staying at a five star resort:

Check-in / Check-out - process was flawless. While there is a front desk, we were greeted by the hotel staff who escorted us immediately to our room. One signature, she handed us the room key, and we were done. Check-out process was painless as well - the bellman brought the folio when he picked up our luggage.

Room - our room had an amazing view of the pacific shoreline. The Montage is situated on 30 acres and has a low profile / blends in with the surroundings. The room itself was nicely decorated (my wife didn't think it was quite up to her expectations) - about what you would expect for a 5 star hotel. The bellman did indicate that they were planning to remodel all of the rooms. The hotel is only 4-5 years old, but he said they want to keep it fresh and up to date. The bed was VERY comfortable and we were able to get a good nights sleep each night. Contrary to some other reviews on TripAdvisor, we did not experience any noise issues.

Amenities - the resort has a walking path along the pacific that has amazing views. Note - while maintained by the hotel, the path is accessible by the public. You will see quite a few people at the beach and in the small park overlooking the Pacific who are not hotel guests. The gym is amazing - great equipment and view of the ocean. It was a bit warm however because they usually have the main window open. It was a very warm weekend when we went. They also have free fitness classes (beach bootcamp, spin, etc.) and a 25 yard lap pool. The main pool faces the same problem most resorts face - on busy holiday weekends, demand simply outstrips supply for lounge chairs and space. My two complaints about the pool were: there should be a separate pool for adults only. There is a small kids pool, but most of the children were using the main pool. Very noisy and difficult to relax as a result to be honest. Again, we went on Labor Day weekend, so the resort was packed.

Food - We ate at the two casual restaurants at the resort. The food was good, but not exceptional at both. As expected, the prices were five star resort - $5 for an iced tea, $30 for a (lobster) salad.

Overall, we had a relaxing weekend at the Montage and plan to return (during a non-peak weekend). We were pleased with the resort, however it is priced about $150-200 a night higher than I would have expected. Supply and demand are not on my side however - the resort is always booked months in advance, especially on weekends.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!