“Hard to Beat This Location” 4 of 5 stars

Laguna Shores
419 North Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Laguna Beach
San Clemente, CA
“Hard to Beat This Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Only if a hotel is on the sand, could it beat this spot. Laguna Shores is actually a timeshare, converted from kitchenette rentals years ago. There are rentals available when an owner doesn't show up or puts it in the rental pool. There are one bedrooms, plus large and small studios. Its a collection of several 2-story buildings. The 1-bedroom and large studios are fairly roomy and have full kitchens. The units are clean and the staff surely love working here. There is a pool and hot spa. The ocean views from the Cliff Drive-fronting units are spectacular. These overlook Cliff Dr., Heisler Park - and the ocean. That's it. The park has many walkways, picnic tables & BBQs and several stairways down to the beautiful beach and tidepools. And views of Laguna's famous cove shoreline down to Main Beach and beyond. There is a small ampitheater directly across in the park that features musicians in the warmer months. Oh, and sunset or its colors (depending on the month).

Walk 3 minutes through the park (unless you linger for some Kodak moments) to Las Brisas for their week-day brunch or happy hour - and more views. A bit beyond, wind your way to Main Beach and Laguna's downtown and the world is yours. Besides the Whole Foods in town, there is a Von's Pavillions a couple blocks in the other direction and a short, scenic drive to Trader Joes at Newport Coast's center. Plus more great restaurants there. You hardly need groceries in Laguna, or a car unless you want to sightsee or golf or use it as a base for inspecting the other ocean-front towns nearby. We live in nearby San Clemente - a great little beach town, but still enjoy a stay in Laguna Beach...there's nothing like it.

Sure, its not the Ritz - but - when you are perched on practically the edge of the ocean and can walk to Laguna's village - its a great find. We love going there (and we have stayed at the Ritz.) (We like that, too.)

Room Tip: If stairs are no problem, ask for a second floor room for the best views facing the water. If there...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
PIVacations, Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
It was so nice to hear all of the wonderful things you had to say about our resort. We here at Laguna Shores are very pleased to hear that your stay here with us was nothing less than fantastic. We look forward to having you stay here with us many times over and hope to provide you with amazing getaways, no matter how far away from home you are.

Susan McCollum
Resort Manager
Laguna Shores

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Location is huge, both the complex & your unit. I have been a timeshare owner at Laguna Shores for many years and have been visiting Laguna Shores for over 20 years.

The location of the complex is fantastic. Steps away from the ocean. It's only a couple blocks (easy walking distance) to downtown Laguna with lots of restaurants & activities. The staff is great. The place is immaculate. I love it!

Now the negatives - not many. The units are small & the building is old. So if you want something new, large & modern you will not be happy. The units look a bit tired. Everything is exceptionally clean & updated but it is old. I don't see this as a negative, but others might. (Note: A major remodel is in the works for next year that should help.) My only real pet peeve is that some units have great views & some have none. So the challenge is getting a unit with a view. I work this hard and always get a nice unit.

Bottom line - This is a nice place in a great location. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you know where your unit is before you arrive.

Room Tip: Know your Room Location before you go!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have stayed at Laguna Shores many times. This property is in a fantastic location. Heisler Park is right across the street with the most wonderful crooked tree! I had my picture taken there as a child and both my children have had pictures taken there. Laguna beach is a picturesque paradise overlooking the ocean. The office staff was very helpful and pleasan during our stay. They went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. All the units have a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need to cook in and serve your meals if you so desire. Typically we've stayed in a condo at Laguna Shores with large corner windows looking out at the coastline. On our last trip here we booked through another company and was able to stay in the roof top condo (used to be the managers quarters). While the particular until we stayed in during this stay didn't have a view of the beach, it was perfect for our purposes. We simply were looking for a place to sleep.

We had to park our car off property. We were told it would be about a block away, but it was less than that, and a super easy walk. Just across the street and down one building.

There is a nice pool and hot tub to enjoy while staying there.

Taking the trolley around town is nice so you don't have to move your car and pay all the meters. There are several art galleries and shopping to be enjoyed.

Some must eat locations in Laguna beach are: Wahoo's fish tacos!!!!! We ate there almost every day for lunch or dinner. Scandia is a nice little bakery with lots of yummy treats. If you want to hop in the car and drive to Dana Point, you can't go wrong at John's fish and chips.

I hope you enjoy Laguna Shores as much as our family does!

Room Tip: If you are wanting a "view" don't stay in the former manager's unit on the roof.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I love staying at Laguna Shores. This property is located across the street from the very popular Heisler Park with its recently re-landscaped grounds and beautiful walkways overlooking the ocean. and offering new access points to the beach. The lobby is cheerful and features a tropical motif which is carried through the room decor. We were warmly greeted and assisted during our one-week stay. The unit had a fully equipped kitchen with everything we needed to cook and serve meals when we chose to eat in. The living/sleeping area of our "single" style unit also had a nice size flat screen tv with DVD and video tape player. Our condo had a "million dollar" view of the Heisler Park, a long sweep of the coastline and the ocean framed beautifully by the park's mature landscaping. We are a family of 2 senior citizens, one with special needs and two adults. There are units in the complex which would be challenging if not impossible for someone with physical challenges to enter so make certain that you discuss this in advance. Taking the charming local trolley, which runs about every 15 minutes in season (confirm this) makes leaving your car in the parking lot a real option. Our unit had a park bench in the front "yard" which replaced the patio chairs and umbrella table which are in front of some of the other units with lesser views. The pool and spa area is well kept and very clean. There is a small community spa to ease tired muscles after a day of sight-seeing. The recreation room offers a fireplace for colder months and big screen tv. The common area has nice barbecue grills which can be used on first come basis and are kept in great condition. One can "borrow" videos tapes, DVD's and games from the front desk. It's location near restaurants and art galleries, shops and museum make it a great home base for a full Laguna Beach experience. Having stayed there before, we enjoyed the little things: free popcorn in the afternoon, an ice cream social and free exercise classes at the pool in the early a.m. More activities are being added. During the summer season it is noisy because of the popularity of this destination point. That said, even during the summer most nights, after dark the quiet returns. Watching sunsets from our unit was an ocean lover's delight ; a dazzling blend of colors reflected in the ocean and the haunting sound of soaring gulls. I look forward to my next visit to Laguna Shores. If there is a downside it is that the units sleep a maximum 4 people( some only 2), the convertible sofas offer, at best a decent bed, at worst a pancake thin mattress which we usually top with an inflatable bed for survival. Parking for the tenant is onsite and very limited. If you have visitors who meet you for a day at Laguna have them bring their credit cards to feed the hungry meters of Heisler Park or park a few blocks away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011 via mobile

We booked our "condo" 6 months in advance. We were told that we'd have a king bed as we requested. When I asked about parking, I was told that each condo had one parking space each. When we arrived, the woman at the counter told us our room had a king bed. Our parking was not on the premises, but one block away. Upon entering the condo, we discovered that we did not have a king bed, but a queen. The woman at the counter had the gall to argue that the bed was a king. I ended up measuring the bed to prove to her the difference between a king and queen bed. Lastly, we were told that we had a very nice condo. Well our very nice condo was located on the roof where other guests parked their cars. The condo was on a street corner where we got to listen to the wonderful sounds of vehicle traffic on Pacific Coast Highway. $1200 to spend a week in a bed too small, on a parking lot, and thin windows to enjoy racing motorcycles, loud trucks, people partying, and they could have cared less when I complained about their misleading statements about our "condo" at Laguna Shores.

• Stayed August 2011
Susan M, Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
I wanted to be sure to extend my sincerest apologies for any miscommunication or misunderstanding regarding this booking. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay and it is discouraging to see that your stay was not as pleasant as we would have hoped.

As this reservation was made through a booking engine not directly related to Laguna Shores, I would like to point out that our resort did not make any specific promises or guarantees regarding room assignments, bed type or parking availability. While we do offer on-site parking for most of our suites, due to space limitations we are forced to accommodate one suite with complimentary parking off-site, which is located only half a block away from Laguna Shores.

If the resort had been contacted directly prior to this reservation, we would have informed you that suite assignments for rentals cannot ever be guaranteed prior to check-in, and as stated on our website, each one bedroom suite comes equipped with either a king or queen sized bed. I will be sure to follow up with the employee who had provided this misinformation to guarantee that she is well-informed on this policy. In addition, I will be contacting the vacation company that you had booked your reservation through; to make sure they are they are relaying accurate information and not making any false or misleading promises.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at the resort. My number is [--]. I would be more than happy to discuss your experience with you and extend a sincere apology for the unpleasant experience you encountered.
Hamilton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I spent the day out and we had several stops, when suddenly I reached to touch my cross, as I do frequently. I wore it for several years, and it was beauifully designed of 14k filligree gold with a single diamond chip, I have never found another, quite as unique and beautiful. So as you can imagine I was just sick that when I reached for it is was not around my neck. I looked everywhere I could think of, and it was just gone.
The following day, to the beach, and upon returning to our room at Laguna Shores, and walking towards the bathroom, I was utterly astonished to see my beautiful cross hanging as if displayed on the side of my suitcase! Some kind soul had evidently found it while cleaning our room and placed it / hung it on the suitcase, where it was sure to be seen. I was so grateful. I never found out who had actually found it. , nor did I get a chance to express my gratitude. I love the staff at Laguna Shores! Thank you! Sincerely, Lisa Hershner

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Susan M, General Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you so much for your review, Ms. Hershner; I am very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and I will pass along your kind words to the Housekeeping Team! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Hamilton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed with my cousin. Accommadations were on the 2nd floor. We were able to leave the windows open and smell the ocean, hear the crashing waves, it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Laguna Shores? Share your experiences!