“I was hopeful-” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Winston Salem
“I was hopeful-”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was hopeful given that negative reviews of this hotel seemed to have faded after spring 2013 and a recent renovation, however our experience was really just average at this hotel. Upon arrival, we were informed not to even bother trying to park in their lot or the extension lot. I would have to find metered street parking for the three day visit. The front desk staff said, "Ya, It really sucks." As I signed the terms of my stay where it states part of my resort fee is for the privilege to park there...

We were sorely disappointed to see our room. Sterile, definitely not updated, and a hole punched in the drywall. Tub had yellow stains. Accessories such as trash cans were brown plastic/rubber, something you would see in a gas station bathroom. Bed pretty hard. Sliding doors to patio insecure and with crumbling trim- only held closed by a chain lock at the bottom. Closet door was off the tracks. Room was sweltering when we arrived- small AC unit in corner managed to catch up once we closed all blinds and left for the day.

Highlights of our stay were the beach attendants who were helpful, a nice community patio with ocean views, and a light continental breakfast.

For $435/night, I was expecting a lot more. We are new to Laguna Beach, but if this is the $435/nt experience, I am spending the extra $100-200/nt for the Ritz.

Room Tip: Don't book until you have seen a room in person- maybe the beach front rooms are OK. Just not wo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered during your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as your comments are being shared with all our staff members and appropriate action will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Fred Schoneke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was wonderful! staff is very friendly and helpful, enjoyed all the amenities very much!! Hotel is right on the beach, they have 2 queen size beds or 1 king in their rooms, kitchen area, big bathrooms, balcony, list goes on!

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically great, you can choose a pool view hotel and will have easy access to the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and that your accommodations exceeded your expectations. Our Team is here to serve all of our guests and it is nice to receive such positive feedback that I can share with them. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in the Laguna Beach area.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'll just keep it simple.

Bed: the floor was more comfortable.

Pillows: Straight out of a 1990's airliner

Shower: sudden loss of hot water...probably some odd plumbing issue

TV: It worked, but only after I had to re-wire the cable box back to the tv itself. Small thing, but a thing that should have been taken care of, I feel.

A/C: didn't work. It was one of those stand alone units in the room and the only button that worked on it was the on/off switch. Couldn't turn on the A/C so we were beholden to whatever the temperature was outside...provided we could get the fans to work. Speaking of fans

Ceiling fans: Since we had no a/c in the room, we opened up a window and thought we'd just let the fans stir in some sea air at night. Problem is they only work if the ceiling LIGHTS are turned on, leaving us with that A/C unit which would blow air alright, but nothing cool.

Yes, it was clean. Yes it has beach access. Yes it even has free wifi. Despite the fact that it was close to where we wanted to be and it was "a deal," I'll be shelling out the extra cash to stay elsewhere. Cheap, in this case, meant cheap.

I anticipate the manager of the Capri will add a note below regretting our poor stay, but it'll be too little too late. We're not coming back unless the hotel does a complete room overhaul.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Capri Laguna. The staff was friendly. Especially Ronna, the manager Fred and the young men manning the chairs and umbrellas on the beach. We especially enjoyed the many spots to sit and lay out and enjoy the ocean breeze, the ocean view, and maybe a picnic all around the hotel without having to go on the sand. Expedia had made a mistake and only reserved us 1 room when we had reserved and paid for 2. Fred, at the hotel, took good care of us. He ended up upgrading us to a better room at no charge. The rooms are a bit on the older side and the beds weren't the most comfortable but nothing that messed with our time there. The continental breakfast had several items, but most importantly, a waffle maker, which my kids loved. They also had great coffee. Although, if you want a special coffee treat go across the street to Koffee Klatch. They have the best chai tea and coffee drinks and the prices are very reasonable. We were there over 4th of July and we were able to watch 3 fireworks shows. It was beautiful. Laguna Beach is a beautiful town to walk around in with lots of shops and restaurants. The "main beach" where the boardwalk is located is about a mile from Capri Laguna but it is a beautiful walk, either on the beach or on the street side, and during the summer months they have a free trolly that goes all through the town. All in all Capri Laguna was a a great experience and a great location with restaurants and shops out the front door and the beach out the back. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2014

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I live local in southern california. I came here with my family and loved it. The views are spectacular the customer service is top notch, Fred and everyone at the front desk was so helpful with everything. The prices are so good compared to other hotels and you have a ocean view room too. I also liked the little backyard to have a picnic with the family. The beach supplies and the pool.I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are ocean view but room 104 have the access to the little back yard. Loved it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was a nice hotel in a great location. Our room, 102, was beachside with a balcony, table, chairs and chaises. It was clean and updated. We were close to downtown Laguna Beach and walked to three very nice restuarants. The hotel offered chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated one? Beachside rooms do have the surf sound ALL the time, but it did not affect...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this awesome review! It really means a lot to our team members to get mentioned by name, so thank you for making a point to recognize them individually! I'm so glad you were so impressed with the guest service...We definitely aim to please! We want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home while on the road, so I'm thrilled that you left with that impression. I truly hope that we will be your first choice if your travels bring you back to the area.
. Thanks for sharing such wonderful feedback about your stay!

Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

You have to weigh your options when you limit your preferences to beach front. I had a private patio in room 713- the front desk said it was shared, but the hotel construction worked in my favor! The room adjacent to mine was under renovation;). I did get a sewer smell when my room was closed up -----

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience.
We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are. I regret that we dropped the ball so many times during your stay.

I've shared your review with our Housekeeping Dept.and Chief Engineer and have asked for their immediate corrective actions to ensure your experience isn't duplicated. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent experiences, but in this case it seems we've failed. For this we are truly sorry!!!
We hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your trust. We wish you all the best in your travels.

Fred Schoneke

Been to Capri Laguna On The Beach? Share your experiences!