“Premium Beachfront Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles
“Premium Beachfront Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

After reading the negative reviews I was hesitant to keep my reservation for 3 nights for Memorial Day weekend. I called weekly to make sure the construction had finished, since that seemed to be one of the complaints of visitors. Construction was complete, or put on hold over our weekend that we were there. I paid extra for a premium beachfront room and it was worth the price! Our room was spacious and newly updated. We had our own private balcony to lay out with view of the water. We didn't use the a/c, we had ocean breezes to keep the air flowing.
The location is wonderful, you can walk to downtown. It is easier to walk on the beach than it is to walk PCH. The parking lot is small and the parking spaces are tight. We arrived early and chose one of the wider parking spots.
All in all, it was a wonderful place to spend the weekend. It was worth the price. So if you don't have high expectations, this hotel will suit you. As a bonus, Friday nights they have a wine and cheese reception from 5pm to 6pm. They don't advertise on their website, but it's a weekly reception.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a premium beachfront room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us and everyone know how you enjoyed your stay with us. My team works hard to ensure that our home is your home... I will be certain to share your comments with my staff. We hope to see you again soon...

Fred Schoneke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Henderson, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Hi there!!!
Do yourself a favor and stay away for this dump!!! The pictures are deceiving and must have been taken at another hotel near by!!!
My wife & I fell for their buy 2 nights get one free,booked online, and we only were able to barely make it through one night.The 30 dollar a day resort fee is a joke.
1.The free wi fi sucks and you will not be able to connect.
2.The TV remote didn't work(no it wasn't the batteries) and we had to power it on/off at the rear of the TV.
3.The bed was as hard as a rock.
4. The pool was dirty and the outside bathroom near the pool had a bad door that remained partially opened and would not close or lock. There was Urine & Crap in the toilet anfd the toilet wouldn't flush when I went to use it!!!
5. We didn't have hot water that evening or in the am!!!! None of the issues were handled!!!
The only thing mnagement would do is give us back the 30.00 resrt fee for the day. We should have received a full refund.
5.We were also told at the front desk by the MOD that they would have upper management call us and we left the number with them, but never heard anything from them. We even sent an e mail regarding the issues to them and didn't receive a reply from them so I'm giving you this reveiw. It's hrd for us to even give a 1 for this property except for the view of the Ocean.
Tom & Terri Alspach from Las Vegas incase they read this to know who we are!!!

Room Tip: Satay away!!! Book at another hotel up the street or in Dana Point. We left the dump and went to Sa...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback!

Thank you for your kind words about the cleanliness of our rooms, convenience of our location and service from our staff. We pride ourselves in delivering only the best service to our hotel guests and I am delighted to hear that our service exceeded you and your family’s expectations.

In the future, feel free to contact our hotel directly to make reservations for we often offer seasonal promotions for multiple night bookings!

Once again, we appreciate your kind compliments and recommendations and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Southern California!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Capri Laguna Inn, may have been, 'the bomb', back in the twenties! But now, they are ' the Bust'. The place is having a makeover and trying to cover up some of the issues, but it is all just window dressing. Wire panels uncovered, no irrigation, ancient looking. Workers working all day and taking the prime parking spaces. Couldn't they have parked a block away next to the liquor store. You can cover up a t***, but its still a t***. Rundown, noisy, week old papers in the lobby, you see what's coming. When checking in, a guy named Neon was rude and condescending. John at the front desk was ok. The deluxe ocean view room had no windows, the view was through the entrance door. If you closed the door to run the room A/C ( a must in 100 degrees), it was so noisy, that you had to set the sound on the TV to 70, just to hear it. Toilet in the bathroom leaked, new hair dryer didn't work, no spare toilet paper or tissue, no maid service over three days, closet doors didn't even fit the closet opening. (See attached photos) Paradise, not! . The free continental breakfast was good. I agree with Monica T. - DO NOT STAY HERE! The website vs. reality is completely different. Inexpensive it is not. Even with a free night, it ran $160/nt. By the way there is $30 resort fee + tax, for what? Save your money! Run away fast! Try another hotel on the beach.

Room Tip: Good luck!
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience.
We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are.

I've shared your review with our Housekeeping Dept.and Chief Engineer and have asked for their immediate corrective actions to ensure your experience isn't duplicated. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent experiences, but in this case it seems we've failed. For this we are truly sorry!!!
We hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your trust. We wish you all the best in your travels.

Warmest Regards,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The staff is very warm and friendly. Incredible view of the ocean, and the rooms are quaint and warm. A few difficulties with the cable, and front door sticking, but these sort of issues are minor. We felt that when you are on vacation, no matter how brief, with the ocean at your feet, it is hard to be bothered with trivial difficulties. My only suggestion would be to have staff to help with the umbrellas and beach area.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms with the ocean view-you will sleep wonderfully.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and that your accommodations exceeded your expectations. Our Team is here to serve all of our guests and it is nice to receive such positive feedback that I can share with them. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in the Laguna Beach area.

General Mamager
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

A good place to stay for the Price.They have free WIFI. A good beach front location.Free continental breakfast every morning ,and a coffee maker that makes starbucks coffee .Capri Laguna is less than A mile from downtown.There are a lot of cool boutiques and expensive places to eat near the hotel , and a really cool nursery across the street . It's an older hotel ,but they are making up grades to improve it .What makes this place great is the staff.They are super nice and very helpful Beds are really comfortable and The pool is heated .My advice would be to get their an hour before check in and bring a small car nothing big like an suv because parking is scarce at the hotel with the construction going on,and the spaces are small .They have an over flow lot just off Mountain on the right hand side just before the hotel. The overflow lot is between the hotel and Avila's El Ranchito restaurant. For the price it is totally worth it.I would definetly recommend this hotel to anyone.I was just there May 9 th -12th..
Jason K

Room Tip: If you want to see the ocean .Request a beach front room.Ocean view rooms see the ocean ,But you see...
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I just spent one night at this hotel, as I didn't feel like driving back after bar. This was convenient, friendly front desk and free room upgrade. For the price I paid, I don't think I would find anything remotely close to this quality in the area.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Loud construction, paper thin walls, rock hard bed, horrible service, and the worst manager I've ever met!

If you're like me, you probably think this place is a steal because it's inexpensive and right on the beach, but you will be sorry if you book here.

1) Website doesn't mention anything about the construction taking place on property. What you should know is that there will be LOUD drilling, saw noise, banging hammers, and workers yelling starting at 8am each morning! So much for sleeping in on your vacation!

2) On first day, one of the construction worker trucks scraped the back of my car in the hotel parking lot. When speaking with the manager, the first thing he says is that there's no point in him calling the workers because they are just going to deny it. What?!? Not even an apology and already saying that you don't think this incident is worth even one phone call to inquire about it. The manager was a complete jerk and could care less about the complaint... Told me to take it up with the police. What an A-hole!

3) Booked an ocean view room with thoughts of sipping coffee and relaxing on my balcony... But with the construction noise, workers standing on my balcony, and the sad excuse of outdoor furniture which consisted of two cheap, mismatched white plastic chairs (NOT the chaise lounge beach chairs falsely shown on site pics)... I didn't get any chance to enjoy it even though I paid extra for it.

4) The extremely thin walls mean that you will hear EVERYTHING, and I mean everything outside your room! You hear the people walking around outside, no chance escaping the construction noise even if you shut your windows, and every word of your neighbors conversations and other things! Which makes you extra cautious about saying anything above a library whisper level yourself.

5) The room was very outdated and again looked nothing like the website pics. They must've taken a pic of the only finished remodeled room on the entire property to post to their site. The bed was extremely hard and the springs made a loud squeaky noise anytime you moved... So much for a nice sleep!

6) The $30 resort fee you pay supposedly includes parking and wi-fi. Well, the wi-fi speed was slower than the days of dial-up service... And that was when you were lucky enough that it actually worked. There were more than a couple times when it didn't work at all for hours. The parking in the hotel lot has about 15 very tight spaces if you're lucky to even get one of those. Otherwise, like the other reviewer mentioned, there's supposed to be another lot in a dark alley down the street if you're even lucky enough to find it as the front desk guy can't even give you clear directions to locate it.

All in all, I wish I would've stayed down the street at one of the other hotels. This place was a complete disaster and nightmare.

IF YOU HAVE AN UPCOMING RESERVATION, ITS NOT TOO LATE TO CANCEL AND REBOOK ELSEWHERE! WILL BE THE BEST DECISION YOU EVER MADE TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Capri Laguna On The Beach? Share your experiences!