“nice little getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“nice little getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently took a spontaneous trip with my two daughters and a friend for an overnight stay at the beach. I found this hotel online and after talking to Fred, the general manager, I was delighted to find out that I would have an oceanfront room with two queen beds. We arrived at noon and were disappointed that we could not check in early but were invited to use the pool and beach until our room was ready and they would call us. The beach was beautiful, however at the normal time of checkin, 3pm I was told my room was still not ready and even more that my room would have a queen bed with a pull out couch..not another queen. I then learned that the room had been ready but another couple had been let into the room to wait until their room was ready. So now it's 3:45 and I still can't check in. Fred was off for the day and the woman at the desk Eleanora I think her name was, tried to say that my reservation was for a different type of room. I had to persist that I had been promised a oceanfront room with two queens and that someone had made a mistake somewhere. She did not seem very sympathetic to my frustration but to her credit she did finally apologize for the inconvenience and deducted some off our room. The room was nice enough but the pullout bed was cramped for the girls and we didn't get great sleep because one ended up in our bed. The view was spectacular though and overall I thought the hotel was a nice experience but they need to improve their outdoor shower system for removing sand from the beach because a lot of sand ends up in the room. And if you want a hot breakfast you will need to go elsewhere. But overall I give this hotel a good rating. Fred was especially nice.

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Directly on the beach, helpful and friendly staff, free parking and free breakfast. Best of all was the view of the ocean from our room. When I called to book I asked for the large suite but also mentioned I wanted a great view. The manager told me that the oceanfront suite view was 20% obstructed but if I didn't mind a smaller room that the premium beachfront king was unobstructed so we booked that one. So happy we did. We plan to return in a couple weeks to take advantage of the third night free deal they are running - it's just too good to pass up!

Room Tip: Premium Oceanfront rooms have incredible views. Other types of rooms may be further back as the pro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The hotel itself is a little dilapidated and could use some TLC.
The room was big enough with a TV, fridge and microwave.
The breakfast and coffee bar were just fine.
Nick at the front desk was very helpful (who treated me quite kindly)
However, the view and the sound of the ocean from my room (#750) was AWESOME!
For $160 per night (although I think I was given a better room than what I paid for since it was pretty empty) during the winter-it's not too bad. The Best Western is probably nicer room-wise but you won't be actually ON the beach!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

we checked in very late and very tired,, the front desk staff were so welcoming and friendly, this was not a scheduled stop and we are so glad we did,, because we checked in late and it was our honeymoon they gave us a suite how sweet. we woke up to the most wonderful view of the ocean and a great balcony,, the beach is stunning, the property is under renovation but don't let affect your decision to stay here, The town is quaint and walkable,
Book it and enjoy!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Capri_Mgmt_Team, General Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. At the Capri Laguna Hotel we understand that the little things mean everything. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. I would also hope that we are now your hotel of choice when traveling to the Laguna Beach area. We look forward to seeing you soon. Respectfully,

Fred Schoneke
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night before a conference. The hotel is right on the beach and close to restaurants, shopping, etc. They layout of the hotel is unique. Be prepared for stairs! The staff was always nice and helpful. If you are picky about your hotel rooms I wouldn't recommend this place. However, if you're simply looking for a place to store your things while you hang out beachside and sleep, it's perfect. Breakfast is included but there wasn't any fresh fruit. They had a waffle iron for hot waffles, baked goods, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Also they had coffee, juice and milk.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Located on the most beautiful beach in the USA, The Capri was our only choice for our wedding party hotel. I've been coming to Laguna since I was a teenager and the Capri has always been my favorite. I love the place and their staff. Walk in the lobby an you feel you've arrived at your beach home. Everyone is welcoming, warm, sincere, and friendly. The pool's always heated and sparkling. Grounds are currently being remodeled to make the place even better. We had over 15 rooms and they made everything simple and perfect for our guests. I'll always stay here when I visit the most beautiful place on earth -- Laguna Beach.

Room Tip: You'll want room 102 or 103. And definitely jump in the awesome surf when you're there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cherry Grove, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Rooms could use a major update the bed was terrible, smelled very musty maybe they shouldn't have carpet in the rooms! The breakfast area needs to be larger, gets very crowded and there isnt very many places to sit. Being right on the beach with an excellent beach boy was great.

Room Tip: If your gonna stay here ask for a ocean front room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach? Share your experiences!