“Worst stay EVER!! New management is horrible!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach to your Saves list
Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #16 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
“Worst stay EVER!! New management is horrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with I made my reservations for my annual family trip February 2013 to stay July 2013. I decided to call the week before our trip to get check in time they had lost all three room reservations apparently they had new management. My first reservations were three ocean view king bed rooms. Since they lost them we got a honeymoon suite a partial view room and a standard room not at all what are group wanted not to mention they couldn't compensate the original rates that were given previously. Since I booked all rooms I put the hold on my card I was told pay when u get here well not so much they charged me for my moms room 916$ then my sisters 368$ after she already called and gave them her card number instead. Mind you we haven't even checked in yet for these charges to be put on my card. We get there I'm told we can check in early however the front desk girl Elenora tells me the room is not ready sometimes they have walk ins at night for rooms my take on this is that someone stayed in it. So we get our rooms I go and talk to gm Fred when he arrives work and tell him so far what they have put us through. The gm finally finds my sisters reservation she gets an ocean view room but can't find ours. He decides to figure out a way to get us an ocean view room however he also says no one was ever in the partial view room that I was led to believe front desk Elenora decides to step in and tell me I twisted her words and that I'm a liar I was flabbergasted to be spoken to this way I asked who are you to speak to me this why she replied with who are you my response in a paying customer and then she told me they can refuse my service which is when the gm Fred finally decides to step in after everything this wretched woman spoke to me in this manner and she never even apologized. We get all the rooms we want and I get charged again 256$ on my card for reasons they don't know. Later see them have a good old time on the streets probably during work hours and having a fling and that's why he didnt step in when she talked to me that way. When we go to check out gm has to call my bank and have all the charges reversed on my card. This was the worst situation and I will also say we were not the only ones irate at the hotel we ran into a couple more groups that were unhappy to say the least. I know it's a long story but people need to know the new management is not professional nor organized and if you don't want multiethnic charges I'm your card don't go there!!!!! Sad stayed here before the new management loved it but will never stay again I should have been offered at least two nights free after all that!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Pictures are very different from the web site. Rooms are old and stinking, full of humidity. The furniture is the cheapest and oldest stuff. They showed us the breakfast table which costs $30. It was a small corner at the entrance which they called "breakfast". Everything in the room was so old and dirty, the door to the balcony broke while trying to pen it. The door was unlocked all the time, unsecured. The walls, the ground, everything was uneven. And the best part was it costed $435 for one night !!! They also charged the breakfast which we did not have !!! NEVER INTEND TO STAY HERE.

Room Tip: If there is only this hotel left in the whole Laguna Beach, I shall not stay there.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is a gem ,the most beautiful panoramic view of the ocean, needless to say property was built in the 50's needs some improvements, which the management is working on.My wife and I were visiting from Vegas and decided to stay for 2 days.
The staff is great and the new GM is a extract of diplomacy ,we will return again.

Carlsbad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

First, Id like to say that I have stayed in MANY hotels, resorts, hostels and this by far has the worst of pretty much every area one could wish acceptable in a hotel. The website makes it look amazing, but thats about it.
We arrived about 15 minutes early to check in (3 PM) and we were greated by the receptionist, Kisha, who at first did not see us and was laughing that one of the guests cars were hit to another employee, needless to say very unprofessional. We were then informed that our room would not be ready for another 45 minutes. Looking around at that point we saw the ACTUAL state of the place. It is a mess! We walked down to see the rooms and we found that construction had been going on, and we werent informed of this... And, I AM actually an inspector and found MANY problems with the property, it SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING until repairs are completed. But this is just the beginning to the issues with the place. We waited 2 hours to get our room cleaned,just after closing the door we were called 3 times within 2 minutes, by the manager and asked (after we hung up the line the first two times) VERY RUDELY and I quote "ARE YOU STAYING OR ARENT YOU? I NEED TO SELL THE ROOM!".... we had already booked the room and settling in....the manager should be fired, the place condemed until repairs are completed, and the staff replaced to say the least... Again, this is just half of the experience we had here within 2 hours of arriving...DONT STAY HERE, save your money and peace of heart for some place reputable. This was our 3 year anniversary...thanks Capri Laguna. Ill be dealing with the health and safety issues within the week.

York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Ok, I'll start with the positives: The location is very good. The end.

Where to even start with the negatives.....lets see.....
The check in girl was surly and couldn't check us in on time as there were no rooms ready.

The hotel grounds resembled a building site - The place was dusty, littered with debris and old furniture and there was a large group of workmen hanging around in the car park.

Once we eventually did get our room this is where the real fun started: The wooden stairs to get to our room were rotting away and the bannister was about to fall off at any minute.
The main window pane in the room actually came off in my hand when i tried to open the window rendering the room a complete security hazard (we decided to store out valubles in the car boot)
The Smoke Alarm had been disconnected and was hanging off the ceiling rendering the room a complete safety hazard.
In addition to the above, there were several large stains on the walls and a large patch of damp in the corner of the ceiling, the Fridge door was so rusty it barely opened and the Shower had lost all its water pressure and was coming away from the wall.

My wife and I looked around the room, looked at each other and just burst out laughing - Before promptly going out to get drunk.
We were going to need more than a bit of Dutch Courage to spent the night in that room.

Look, if anyone from the Capri Laguna happens to be reading this and wants to get in touch with me to discuss my experience further, feel free.
Believe me, coming into the public domain and rubbishing someones business is not something I do lightly, but my experience at this Hotel was completely unnacceptable on almost every level.

I genuinely beleive that if the local authorities were to ramdonly inspect this place in its current state it would be shut down for numerous breaches of Health and Safety laws.

To be fair, they are clearly in the process of re-furbishing the place, but until the renovations are complete paying customers should be nowhere near this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Capri_Mgmt_Team, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience.
We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are. I regret that we dropped the ball so many times during your stay.

I've shared your review with our Housekeeping Dept.and Chief Engineer and have asked for their immediate corrective actions to ensure your experience isn't duplicated. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent experiences, but in this case it seems we've failed. For this we are truly sorry!!! We hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your trust. We wish you all the best in your travels.

Warmest Regards,

Fred Schoneke
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was looking for a beachfront property not too overly priced or crowded in Laguna. Found it!

Stayed in a beachfront room with a beautiful view of the beach and ocean as well as a small garden directly beneath our balcony. The room had 2 sliding glass doors that led to the private balcony with 2 chase lounges and a couple of chairs. The inside room had a mini-fridge, microwave and table to eat at with a window view of the ocean. The bathroom was small, a little shelf to put your stuff on, the showerhead was hung incredibly low, but the water was nice and hot and got the sand off. The hotel is on a cliff so expect stairs to get to your room and beach access. Breakfast is served in the lobby - waffles, cereal, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and juice. Also, all the juices and coffee/cocoa are available 24/7 in the lobby. Never found the area for beach chairs and snacks/soft drinks that were advertised, but never really needed them nor asked.

The hotel is quaint and the staff is friendly. The room was available for check-in at 11. I would stay again.

See the posted picture -- sunset taken from my cell phone on the balcony.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Capri_Mgmt_Team, General Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. At the Capri Laguna Hotel we understand that the little things mean everything. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. I would also hope that we are now your hotel of choice when traveling to the Laguna Beach area. We look forward to seeing you soon. Respectfully,

Fred Schoneke

Been to Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach? Share your experiences!