“A crumbling death trap.” 1 of 5 stars

Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
York, United Kingdom
“A crumbling death trap.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Ok, I'll start with the positives: The location is very good. The end.

Where to even start with the negatives.....lets see.....
The check in girl was surly and couldn't check us in on time as there were no rooms ready.

The hotel grounds resembled a building site - The place was dusty, littered with debris and old furniture and there was a large group of workmen hanging around in the car park.

Once we eventually did get our room this is where the real fun started: The wooden stairs to get to our room were rotting away and the bannister was about to fall off at any minute.
The main window pane in the room actually came off in my hand when i tried to open the window rendering the room a complete security hazard (we decided to store out valubles in the car boot)
The Smoke Alarm had been disconnected and was hanging off the ceiling rendering the room a complete safety hazard.
In addition to the above, there were several large stains on the walls and a large patch of damp in the corner of the ceiling, the Fridge door was so rusty it barely opened and the Shower had lost all its water pressure and was coming away from the wall.

My wife and I looked around the room, looked at each other and just burst out laughing - Before promptly going out to get drunk.
We were going to need more than a bit of Dutch Courage to spent the night in that room.

Look, if anyone from the Capri Laguna happens to be reading this and wants to get in touch with me to discuss my experience further, feel free.
Believe me, coming into the public domain and rubbishing someones business is not something I do lightly, but my experience at this Hotel was completely unnacceptable on almost every level.

I genuinely beleive that if the local authorities were to ramdonly inspect this place in its current state it would be shut down for numerous breaches of Health and Safety laws.

To be fair, they are clearly in the process of re-furbishing the place, but until the renovations are complete paying customers should be nowhere near this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Capri_Mgmt_Team, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience.
We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are. I regret that we dropped the ball so many times during your stay.

I've shared your review with our Housekeeping Dept.and Chief Engineer and have asked for their immediate corrective actions to ensure your experience isn't duplicated. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent experiences, but in this case it seems we've failed. For this we are truly sorry!!! We hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your trust. We wish you all the best in your travels.

Warmest Regards,

Fred Schoneke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was looking for a beachfront property not too overly priced or crowded in Laguna. Found it!

Stayed in a beachfront room with a beautiful view of the beach and ocean as well as a small garden directly beneath our balcony. The room had 2 sliding glass doors that led to the private balcony with 2 chase lounges and a couple of chairs. The inside room had a mini-fridge, microwave and table to eat at with a window view of the ocean. The bathroom was small, a little shelf to put your stuff on, the showerhead was hung incredibly low, but the water was nice and hot and got the sand off. The hotel is on a cliff so expect stairs to get to your room and beach access. Breakfast is served in the lobby - waffles, cereal, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and juice. Also, all the juices and coffee/cocoa are available 24/7 in the lobby. Never found the area for beach chairs and snacks/soft drinks that were advertised, but never really needed them nor asked.

The hotel is quaint and the staff is friendly. The room was available for check-in at 11. I would stay again.

See the posted picture -- sunset taken from my cell phone on the balcony.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Capri_Mgmt_Team, General Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. At the Capri Laguna Hotel we understand that the little things mean everything. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. I would also hope that we are now your hotel of choice when traveling to the Laguna Beach area. We look forward to seeing you soon. Respectfully,

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I recently organized a fun girl's weekend celebration and chose the Capri Laguna for our stay.The website made it look charming, with gorgeous views. I booked the Ocean View suite.
When we arrived, we were told we couldn't check in for another hour, even though we arrived at check-in time, but we were welcome to wait upstairs on the deck. I had called twice to ask if it would be possible for us to check in early, and they said that would be fine, but instead we got there on time, and found out our room wasn't clean yet? They had ONE housekeeper for the entire hotel and tried to involve me in a managerial conversation about the amount of rooms versus the amount of workers. I explained that was not my problem and that I was the guest, not their business consultant. We made our way up to the deck...around several "do not cross" areas, as they were re-doing the stairs. It took us a while, but we finally found our way to the deck. The views were pretty, but we were cold, there were no blankets, no refreshments- it was not pleasant. When we finally got into the room, it couldn't have been more rickety. Outside of our room, there was construction going on with the dilapidated stairs. Inside, we could barely open our sliding door and it was in disrepair. The bathroom had one small, free-standing sink with no counter, making it impossible for 4 women to get ready for our planned festivities, and knowing they had a little group, they didn't pay attention to the details and there were only towels. We felt bad running the ONE housekeeper up and down the dilapidated stairs, but we were guests paying a whopping 400 bucks for the room. The "suite" was nothing more than 2 rooms with beds and a mini kitchenette. There were no creature comforts offered, nothing special. The beach was lovely, but it only had two chairs and you had to enter at your own risk, making your way down the broken stairs.

Their "complimentary breakfast" were waffles and cereal and we noted an expired food license hanging on the wall. We decided this hotel had done quite enough and we went down the road to Hotel Laguna for a gorgeous meal by the sea and wished we had stayed there.

When we confronted the hotel clerk on our departure about how we were never notified that the hotel was in disrepair, he said he had no authorization to do anything and it was "out of his pay grade." We paid our 400 and he said the manager would contact me. It's been two weeks, no one has contacted me.

This hotel has several violations going on and should be shut down. Their customer service is beyond rude and ignorant, they have unsafe conditions in the structure of their building and they are operating with an EXPIRED food license. (we have pictures of the lic!)

I will attempt to get a partial refund from the manager of this sorry sea shack. I shouldn't have to be the one to call, but I will.

In the meantime, if anyone knows any city inspectors-send them quick before someone is injured.

K.L.
Los Angeles, Ca.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked a beach front room with 2 beds/ couch & private balcony. Got the beds & the balcony but they wanted $450 for room with couch. No Way!
Only access to the room was via staff stairs that were wooden & crowded with ladders & old lounge chairs. Very poorly lite at night.The last step was a rickity, 1/2 rotted box type thing.
The room was nice & clean. The view was fantastic. We saw dolphins, otters & sea lions. The ocean drowned out all the construction going on. 7am-7pm.
The steps to the beach are all concrete w/rails until you get to the bottom then its a rock with some crudely carved steps that are difficult to manage as the waves get up to them at high tide & are covered in sand.
The staff were very apologetic & accomendating & we did get a discount for all the inconveince.
I'll go back when the construction is over. It really has the potenical of being a first class hotel

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Online this place looks great! I ended up getting a good rate and was excited to check in...the outside is beautiful! The beach access is perfect. However our room was less than expected. The bed seemed clean, but everything in the room is old, dinged up, and not nice at all. The bathroom had some sort of old odor, shower was dirty, hot water didn't turn on for 20 mins, and there was a huge water stain around the toilet.
Great location, not so great everything else.

• Stayed May 2013
Capri_Mgmt_Team, General Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with our hotel. My staff and I strive to provide the best guest service and it is unfortunate that we failed in doing so during your stay. On behalf of the team here at The Capri Laguna Hotel , we would like to extend our sincerest apologies,We always like to redeem ourselves and invite you back whenever you're in the Laguna Beach area.

Sincerely

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I planned a Laguna getaway for my boyfriends birthday weekend, and I thought Capri Laguna was going to be the perfect place. We were supposed to have a beach front hotel, but when we walked into our room, it was a two bedroom non-beach front. We go back up to the lobby to tell the lady, and when I told her the room I had originally paid for, she said that they had upgraded me since the beach front room was under renovation.... How is a non-beach front room an upgrade?! I told her no one had emailed me telling me that, and she goes "It's because you booked it from the website." I said "I was on the phone with the hotel as I was booking it," and she goes "Oh that's weird they didn't tell you." Little did she know SHE WAS THE ONE WHO HELPED ME BOOK THE ROOM OVER THE PHONE WHILE I WAS ON THE SITE, AND SHE SUGGESTED THE BEACH FRONT ROOM!" ...... She then asks a worker if they can put all of the furniture back into the beach front room for us, and says we now have to wait until 3. At 3:15, we go back and ask if our room is ready and they say we have to wait 40 more minutes. In the mean time, we waited in the lobby, and watched as this other couple was asking the front desk how they are supposed to get to their room if the stairs are ALL under construction. The couple was not allowed to walk up the stairs to their room, so they also had to wait for another room for a few hours. My boyfriend and I FINALLY get into our room and I tried to set up the wifi that they gave us the password for. The wifi didn't even work and I had work to do. When I called to ask about the wifi, the guy tells me that I can use to computer in the lobby. UM, NO. I wanted to do my work in the comfort of my room that I paid for, not the lobby. By this point, my boyfriend and I were so annoyed with the place and the extremely loud hammers that were banging on the walls that we packed our stuff and asked for our money back so we could go somewhere else. The man that helped us at this point was actually very nice and understanding, so I did appreciate that. Once we got our money back, we drove home. Definitely a disappointing weekend. (Luckily, we were able to book a one night stay at another beach the day after, though.) I should have listened to the poor reviews on here before I booked it, but I trusted the good ones, unfortunately.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel is built on a cliff. The rooms are on several levels heading down to the beach. There are lots of pathways that lead to the rooms and decks on the way down to the beach. This Inn has a unique layout, it is very different from most hotels and feels like a boutique (but it wasn't pretentious) or european inn. The staff were all great! The upper deck has great couches and an amazing view - all the decks have great views and their own charm! The pool is small, but warm and at night has lights that change colours (love it). The beach is fabulous, with beautiful soft soft sand, perfect waves for playing, interesting rock cliffs and you can walk a long way in either direction. Our room was small, not well layed out and from a different era, but clean. The breakfast had waffles, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and baked goods. The hotel is undergoing a big upgrade hopefully they get it right. We will be back - maybe next time we will get a better room.

Room Tip: I'd really recommend not getting a room over the lobby or near the road as they must be noisy fr...