“Can't beat the view” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
“Can't beat the view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked a beach front room with 2 beds/ couch & private balcony. Got the beds & the balcony but they wanted $450 for room with couch. No Way!
Only access to the room was via staff stairs that were wooden & crowded with ladders & old lounge chairs. Very poorly lite at night.The last step was a rickity, 1/2 rotted box type thing.
The room was nice & clean. The view was fantastic. We saw dolphins, otters & sea lions. The ocean drowned out all the construction going on. 7am-7pm.
The steps to the beach are all concrete w/rails until you get to the bottom then its a rock with some crudely carved steps that are difficult to manage as the waves get up to them at high tide & are covered in sand.
The staff were very apologetic & accomendating & we did get a discount for all the inconveince.
I'll go back when the construction is over. It really has the potenical of being a first class hotel

• Stayed May 2013

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Online this place looks great! I ended up getting a good rate and was excited to check in...the outside is beautiful! The beach access is perfect. However our room was less than expected. The bed seemed clean, but everything in the room is old, dinged up, and not nice at all. The bathroom had some sort of old odor, shower was dirty, hot water didn't turn on for 20 mins, and there was a huge water stain around the toilet.
Great location, not so great everything else.

• Stayed May 2013
Capri_Mgmt_Team, General Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with our hotel. My staff and I strive to provide the best guest service and it is unfortunate that we failed in doing so during your stay. On behalf of the team here at The Capri Laguna Hotel , we would like to extend our sincerest apologies,We always like to redeem ourselves and invite you back whenever you're in the Laguna Beach area.

Sincerely

Fred Schoneke

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I planned a Laguna getaway for my boyfriends birthday weekend, and I thought Capri Laguna was going to be the perfect place. We were supposed to have a beach front hotel, but when we walked into our room, it was a two bedroom non-beach front. We go back up to the lobby to tell the lady, and when I told her the room I had originally paid for, she said that they had upgraded me since the beach front room was under renovation.... How is a non-beach front room an upgrade?! I told her no one had emailed me telling me that, and she goes "It's because you booked it from the website." I said "I was on the phone with the hotel as I was booking it," and she goes "Oh that's weird they didn't tell you." Little did she know SHE WAS THE ONE WHO HELPED ME BOOK THE ROOM OVER THE PHONE WHILE I WAS ON THE SITE, AND SHE SUGGESTED THE BEACH FRONT ROOM!" ...... She then asks a worker if they can put all of the furniture back into the beach front room for us, and says we now have to wait until 3. At 3:15, we go back and ask if our room is ready and they say we have to wait 40 more minutes. In the mean time, we waited in the lobby, and watched as this other couple was asking the front desk how they are supposed to get to their room if the stairs are ALL under construction. The couple was not allowed to walk up the stairs to their room, so they also had to wait for another room for a few hours. My boyfriend and I FINALLY get into our room and I tried to set up the wifi that they gave us the password for. The wifi didn't even work and I had work to do. When I called to ask about the wifi, the guy tells me that I can use to computer in the lobby. UM, NO. I wanted to do my work in the comfort of my room that I paid for, not the lobby. By this point, my boyfriend and I were so annoyed with the place and the extremely loud hammers that were banging on the walls that we packed our stuff and asked for our money back so we could go somewhere else. The man that helped us at this point was actually very nice and understanding, so I did appreciate that. Once we got our money back, we drove home. Definitely a disappointing weekend. (Luckily, we were able to book a one night stay at another beach the day after, though.) I should have listened to the poor reviews on here before I booked it, but I trusted the good ones, unfortunately.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel is built on a cliff. The rooms are on several levels heading down to the beach. There are lots of pathways that lead to the rooms and decks on the way down to the beach. This Inn has a unique layout, it is very different from most hotels and feels like a boutique (but it wasn't pretentious) or european inn. The staff were all great! The upper deck has great couches and an amazing view - all the decks have great views and their own charm! The pool is small, but warm and at night has lights that change colours (love it). The beach is fabulous, with beautiful soft soft sand, perfect waves for playing, interesting rock cliffs and you can walk a long way in either direction. Our room was small, not well layed out and from a different era, but clean. The breakfast had waffles, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and baked goods. The hotel is undergoing a big upgrade hopefully they get it right. We will be back - maybe next time we will get a better room.

Room Tip: I'd really recommend not getting a room over the lobby or near the road as they must be noisy fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights, two rooms with several girlfriends. View and beach access are outstanding. We walked to several really good restaurants (K'Ya Bistro, Splashes at the Surf and Sand, Mozambique, and Avila's El Ranchito). We saw a few pods of dolphins, sunsets, Catalina Island and a whale from our balcony, enjoyed coffee on the hotel patio, and enjoyed the beach which is literally "right there". The price point for the location is excellent. We had large rooms, one with two king beds and a nice size kitchen. Cons - older facility so if the windows are closed, the rooms are a bit musty due to the damp ocean air taking its toll over the years. The place is in need of some upgrading but, like I said, price, views and location make this place a winner. Staff were all great too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here in late Feb 13 on business for 2 nights in a room one floor up from the beach. Bed was amazing and the ocean view was lovely. The hotel was under renovation and it felt like my room was 75% done. New carpet, super comfortable bed, decor up to date but actual bathroom not yet attended too. Not really a problem, just was not as nice as the rest. There are a lot of stairs if you are staying closer to the beach, something to think about if you have mobility issues and/or lots of luggage. Front desk was great, very friendly and efficient. The only real issue for me was the internet connection. Mostly it didn't work at all. Had to go to Starbucks to get work done. I was told by the front desk they were totally redoing their internet and saw the trucks from the company doing the work while I was staying there. It would not have been an issue if I was on vacation but I really needed internet access while working. I would recommend this hotel regardless. It's a great value, extremely comfortable and a beautiful location. It is an older property in the midst of getting spruced up. When it's done I am sure it will be great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Beach, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We live in Laguna Beach and decided to stay at this hotel for a week while our house was finishing construction. We needed a kitchen and a suite to fit our family. My husband found a "good deal" since it was on the oceanfront. I didn't know much about it other than its location so decided to give it a try. Well the old saying holds true...If it's too good to be true than it is!
The only thing nice about this property is the location in proximity to the ocean. If you want oceanfront and don't mind staying in a mildew smelling old property than this is your place. But beware, the price is not equal to the value per room.
The rooms and the property are in need of a serious renovation!! Needless to say we checked out after one night.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Capri_Mgmt_Team, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.We are always sadened when your stay does not turns out as you had expected, We always strive to keep your needs our priority. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you and look forward to having you back next time you're in town, as we always look forward to redeemed ourselves for any inconvenience you may have encountered.

Fred Schoneke

Been to Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach? Share your experiences!