“Beach front, but needs some TLC...” 3 of 5 stars

Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Beach front, but needs some TLC...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Room location was great, because it was beachfront and it was approximately 30 steps to the beach from my room which was great. It also had a small kitchenette that includes a coffee maker, small fridge with freezer top, two electric burners, a microwave and a small sink. Additionally, housekeeping was great, the room was clean and extra towels were provided quickly upon request. The room had a balcony with a couple of chairs that overlooked the beach and pacific ocean. The room also had a fireplace which was nice.

And now for the BAD...
The rooms need to be updated SOON. The toilet rocked, bathtub wallpaper was peeling and half off the wall, the mattress was very hard and uncomfortable, there were holes in the walls for cable and telephone, wires glued to the floor on the balcony, the balcony did not look completely finished, the kitchenette needs to be renovated and needs to include coffee CUPS or MUGS if you are going to provide a coffee maker in the room. Also there needs to be some sort of window or vent added to the rear of the beach view rooms because there is no ventilation in the room that I stayed in. I needed to keep the front door partially open until late at night to get a breeze through the room to cool it down. I could not imagine how hot the room gets during the summer.

The free breakfast offered is not much and should be changed. The “bagels” were miniature and could not be sliced in half to toast because they were too small and also because there was no knife or sharp instrument provided. The pastries were cheap and looked like they were provided just for show. They did provide cereal, which my son did appreciate so I did like that.

For dinning in the area try these:
There is a German bakery just north of the hotel that has wonderful items for breakfast café Heidelberg, Thai Brothers 30 minute walk north of hotel towards downtown Laguna Beach, CA, C’est la Vie rear deck overlooking the beach, also a 30 minute walk north of hotel towards downtown Laguna Beach, and Gina’s Pizza & Pasteria, 15-20 walk north on the west side of PCH.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear dsslv, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us, and would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We understand your disappointment and realize the trouble the issues you encountered must have caused during your stay. Currently, we are in the process of renovating our hotel, so the walls, balcony, and ventilation systems will be remodeled. In addition, we are improving our amenities, so we hope the next time you stay with us, we exceed your expectations. Delivering the best services is our highest priority. If you have any other concerns or suggestions, please feel free to contact us. We hope you choose the Capri Laguna during your next stay in Laguna Beach.

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Dirty.....dismal and extremely rude front desk man. I can not tell you how rude this man was to my family. I should have called his boss, or maybe he was the boss. I have stayed here before and was greeted with kindness....even in the middle of the night. Kindess can cover a multitude of sins. Apparently the front desk night manager-(blond woman) is no longer on staff. I still remember her walking us to our room last time we were at Capri. She was classy and offered us wonderful tips on what to do and see in Laguna. However, this Nahid person was rude and angry. Apparently we interupted his game of solitaire, because he barked at us and later refused to bring towels to our room. He said "I;m not housekeeping". Ugh....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you Patty L. for choosing to stay at the Capri Laguna. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with us. We understand your disappointment and realize the trouble the issues you encountered must have caused during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention as we continuously strive to improve our guest service representatives and continue to train them with the best customer skills. We take a lot of pride in our customer service and unfortunately we fell short. I will ensure you this won't happen again simply because our customer's deserve the best service ever. We deeply value your relationship with the Capri Laguna and hope that you still consider us in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally via email (info@caprilaguna.com) if you want to discuss this matter in further detail.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My honey and I were in so much need of some time together. Being from Vegas, What better then the beach right? Went online for days looking for hotels with a beach/ocean front, came across Capri Laguna and debated booking a room due to all the negative reviews. Since hotel prices kept going up i was afraid and booked an ocean front room with a queen bed for $175 a night, stayed for two.

On our way there i kept telling my husband prepare yourself for the worst, all that matters is were steps from the beach. Got to Crapri, hit my car due to the tinny parking spaces (totally user error) and checked in. We got room 403. walked in and immediately saw the beach and upgrade to a king bed! Yeah i can see why some people would complain, the sliding door to the balcony was rusty which would bother me if kids were in the room, very outdated, wifi never worked but who gives a crap! we went to spend time on the beach not in the room!

Every morning they offer their deluxe continental breakfast which consists of boiled eggs, toast, bagels, pastry's, juice, milk, cereal... you know the basic. The hotel is situated around great food and shopping just in walking distance.

Every night we would go down to the seating area steps away from the beach, it was absolutely lovely! If your on a budget and are looking for a hotel right on the beach, and you don't care about a 5 star hotel rating then Capri Laguna is the answer!

Room Tip: Room 403 is not considered BEACH FRONT so its cheaper, dude its still on the beach with $100 a night...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you, Nathalie M, for taking your time and writing a review! We are so happy that you had a enjoyable stay at Capri Laguna. We are currently renovating all our rooms, so we hope you visit us again soon!
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

If any of the whiners here paid full price for a room - then they have valid beefs with the condition of the property. BUT, they are pretty darned stupid for not doing their own due diligence when it comes to booking this hotel. I paid $155.00 a night ++ for Room # 104 (through a 3rd party website I subscribe to) and it was a screaming bargain. Consider that it had a private balcony AND another private grassy terrace right below it AND was an end unit only a couple of flights of steps and 15 feet above the beach. This is an "updated" room which only brings it to mediocre at best. The stains in the carpet were unacceptable, but other than that the king bed was comfortable and clean, there was a selection of pillows and they actually had decent towels. The room was more like a junior suite in size, no doubt due to the age of the hotel, which I am guessing was built in the 1970's. It was very quite while we were there (midweek). Go on the weekend and I would bet there is more noise and activity. We practically had the place to ourselves. IT WAS VERY PRIVATE. The beach in front is fantastic and lightly traveled. My bet is that there is no closer room to the ocean anywhere - at any price - along the entire pacific coast - yup, it's THAT close. It has SUCH an amazing location that it brought my rating of the property from poor to very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful - not a problem there. One of the managers even fetched a bottle opener for us while we were at the beach so that I didn't need to use my teeth to open my beer. (just kidding) Grab a styrofoam cooler at the local Ralph's, haul some beer and wine to your room with some snacks (there is a mini-fridge) and RELAX while the ocean lulls you to sleep. If you don't know a bargain when you see it then head up the road to the Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel and spend $800.00 a night for an ocean front room that is still a long walk to the beach - and, yeah, I've stayed there too. Go here for the BEACH folks and don't forget to book Room 104... We did stay an extra night in 204 right above it and it was really "rode wet and put away hard". Can't say that I would recommend any of the other rooms since 104 is clearly superior, but my guess is that there are other updated rooms that are acceptable as well. Call the hotel in person (you know, pick up the telephone...) and ASK which rooms are the best - they'll be happy to tell you which ones are their favorites. Take all the extra cash you've saved and enjoy a week's worth of great dining at nearby restaurants that are just a short walk away, and don't forget the excellent indy coffee shop right across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: Read my review...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RKMinTucson, thank you for your feedback and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Capri Laguna! We always like to have guests leave happy and if there is anything else we could improve on just let us know! We are currently renovating our hotel rooms so we hope your expectations will be exceeded the next time you visit. Can't wait to have you back!
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We just spent a night at the Capri this past Labor day weekend. The rooms were musty, mold smelling. The air conditioning unit was a hole cut in the wall a tube attached to a dehumidifier/air conditioner. The beds were covered in plastic, like the hospitals. The tub was peeling and the knob came off. When I checked in at 1am with my husband and 3 kids I asked for a late check out. I was told 12:30, which was fine. We enjoyed the beach in the morning in plastic Adirondack chairs and a make shift table. We went up to the pool which is the same size as a home pool. I went back to the room to pack up, got a call from the front desk telling us we need to go because there were people that needed our room! It was 12:05! Then I got another call to move my car from where THEY told me to park. When I checked out they added a $25 resort fee for what???? We paid $300 for a hotel that I wouldn't pay $50 to stay in! save yourself the time, drive up to Huntington Beach and stay at the Hyatt Regency, THAT IS WORTH every bit of $300!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT believe the pictures! The rooms do not look like that!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Marcy T. for choosing to stay at the Capri Laguna. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with us. We understand your disappointment and realize the trouble the issues you encountered must have caused during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention as we continuously strive to improve our services and facilities. As of now, the Capri Laguna is in the works to improve operations and plan future renovations (including all guest rooms) to improve the facilities. We will also be researching options to improve our guest amenities as well. As for the resort fee, it is stated in our hotel website :"Resort Fee of $25 includes free wi-fi internet, local calls, chairs and umbrella at the Beach, free parking, energy surcharge, drinking water in the room and fitness center access". We apologize if this information was not communicated to you before checking in to the hotel. Please feel free to contact me personally via email (info@caprilaguna.com) if you will like to discuss this matter into further detail.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed here for one night for my wife's 40th birthday...Ibrahaim (GM) was extremely accomodating, helpful and pleasant, Kim the night shift manager was also a delight to deal with even at 3am when i needed to call home to UK. Location is second to none, Continental Breakfast satisfied all our needs. Dont be put off by the negative comments......
we were travelling with two teenagers and they loved it too !

Book the Capri and enjoy a hotel on the beach with Classical ''olde worlde charm''

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear andy m, thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel has an amazing location, with some rooms seemingly floating above the beach. My wife and I were here for a romantic getaway once, and though the place was aging and beat up, the view and ocean made up for it. We came back for another trip, and now it wasn't just old, but dirty, with stained bed covers. The best part was El Cucaracha, El Heffe. He was captured under a bucket, and scared the hotel staff when they saw his size. We left right then, and will never be back. A shame, really. The hotel made no effort to make anything right, and had a very 'take it or leave it' attitude. And it is expensive!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Capri Laguna. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with us. We understand your disappointment and realize the trouble the issues you encountered must have caused during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention as we continuously strive to improve our services and facilities. Currently we've hired extra help to help the Capri Laguna improve operations and plan future renovations (including all guest rooms – drapes and air conditioning units included) to improve the facilities. We've been working with the hotel’s pest control vendor Orkin to ensure we get rid of all ants and pests. I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future. Delivering the best services is our highest priority. If there is anything else you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me (info@caprilaguna.com).

Been to Capri Laguna Inn On The Beach? Share your experiences!