“Great location, but kind of dirty.” 3 of 5 stars

Capri Laguna On The Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
West Hollywood, CA
“Great location, but kind of dirty.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is located right on the beach, so most of the rooms have beautiful views. Our room had a great view, and a large balcony, but that was the only thing that made the stay worth it. The property, and room, were outdated and not very well-kept. The lobby feels like a cheap motel. In the room, the carpet was dirty, the walls were bare and not very attractive, and the bathroom was of cheap motel standards. It was an all-around uncomfortable experience due to the lack of cleanliness, but the view from the room was spectacular.

There is not much parking, so if the very few spaces on the property are taken, they make you park in a lot a few blocks away (with no valet). Also, when checking in, they asked for a credit card and photo ID, which they forgot to give back. When we realized they didn't give it back, we called the front desk, and they were very rude and told us they wouldn't be able to get it back to us until the next day.

I will probably never stay here again.

I recommend spending the extra money and staying next door at the Surf and Sand which is perfection, across the board.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear ERC421
Thank you very much for your feedback. With respect to the room conditions I do apologize for the bad experience, I just wish I knew which room you were speaking of in order to further investigate. I assure you we do conduct regular and strict room inspections to make sure the quality of our rooms match the amazing view we have. Regarding the front desk incident, I do apologize for the inconvenience I shared your concerns with our team and serious action will be taken to implement a policy to return any left behind IDs or credit cards immediately to the guest or contact him/her in case they already checked out.
I know you mentioned in your review that you are not going to stay with us again - I do hope you change your mind and give us another chance.
Your comments and opinions are always appreciated in order to improve the quality of your stay and the standard of the Hotel.

Best Regards.

Ibrahim Guirguis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
SF CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My family stayed at Capri Laguna Beach for 4 nights during Spring Break. The hotel is located directly on the beach. Nice rooms, terrific staff, etc. I would highly recommend this place. It’s just a 10 minute drive to Dana Point for boating and fishing. Every morning from our ocean view balcony we saw dolphins. The place was prenominal. We plan to go again in the fall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear woodallmia, thank you for your amazing review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Have just spent two weeks touring southern California, and this was my favorite hotel I stayed in. Slightly " shabby chic" but I'd take that over a non descript chain hotel any day. As long as you don't expect 5 star luxury furnishings you'll be fine. Had a big room with a big balcony overlooking the beach, and felt like I'd arrived in heaven! The children could run down and play on the beach whilst I sat on the balcony with a drink and keep an eye on them. Sunset views were amazing. Pool was smallish but warm and attractive. Staff were helpful and breakfast was fine. Mattresses on the bed were a bit saggy, but with a view like that I could put up with the minor negatives. Loved Laguna beach and loved this hotel.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear doctornicky, thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We got a great deal on Travelzoo to travel here for a long weekend with the kids. Before we left I read some horrible reviews and was a little nervous to go. We were not disappointed.

Location - the location could not be better. The hotel is RIGHT ON a beautiful stretch of beach and it wasn't crowded at all compared to the main beach in Laguna. We could still walk quite a ways down the beach and we could walk to quite a few great restaurants.

Staff - I can't say enough about the amazing staff. Each and every front desk person was very friendly and accomodating. In fact, the man that was working the front desk when we got there actually gave us room keys to TWO rooms and let us choose which one we wanted!

Breakfast - the continental breakfast was nice. Bagels, pastries, hard boiled eggs, cereal and OJ. The kids loved helping themselves to their own cereal.

Rooms - definitely not 5 start by any means, but they are ON THE BEACH. As long as you know that going in, you won't be disappointed. It was really nice having a mini fridge and microwave in the room too to store leftovers, heat things up, etc. The beds were not comfortable. If I went again and drove, I would bring a thick matress pad.

Pool - cute pool. Not huge, but there was nobody there so my kids had a ball. My husband and I sat at one of the tables and had a cocktail and played cards while they swam. They had a ball.

We stayed in an ocean front room. If possible, I would definitely spring for that if you can. We watched the sunset from our balcony every night and saw dolphins swimming in the moring. Worth the extra money.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we are going to try to get back there this summer!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear sab920, thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you visit again soon!
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Got in after dark, but the moment we entered our room you could hear the pounding surf right outside our deck. In the morning it was calmer and the gorgeous beach appeared right below us. Forget about the dated look and feel of the rooms - yeah they could be better. But you are there for the beach and walking around Laguna for good food, shopping, and fresh California beach air. It would get a 5 star for location and quiet and access to the beach. There was even parking - never had to go without a space. Right across the street is a great coffee shop that serves up a nice breakfast - and there are a dozen good places to eat in the two block range of this hotel. We stayed in 201 which was maybe 50 feet up off the beach. Take a couple easy flights of stairs to the rocks and down to the sand. Wished I could rate it 4 or 5 but they need to upgrade bedding, and bathrooms. But it didn't really affect our stay a whole lot. Beats the Montage - although that's probably my favorite hotel in Southern Cal. But so darn expensive if you really aren't spending lots of time hanging out in your room calling for services. By the way, drive up the road to the Montage - go a little bit past and park at the public park and walk along the coast there. It's the most beautiful walkway I've ever seen. Up on the cliffs, gorgeous plantings and then access to some pretty neat, quiet beaches.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Snyderp, thank you so much for your positive review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Currently, we are in the process of renovating our hotel rooms (including the bedding and the bathrooms like you mentioned), so we hope that the next time you visit you will have an even better experience. We hope to see you again soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Why go to Greece when you can stay at the Capri in Laguna. Spetecular view and the staff is so accommadating and friendly. I have been coming to Capri for 2 years it is a very special place. Many of my friends have come here and have been grateful for my reccomendation.

Room Tip: higher rooms looking out to the sea
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Iguirguis, Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear marla m, thank you for your amazing review! We are so glad that you are enjoying your stay and that you recommended us to your friends!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I travel every week to Calif for work. I have stayed in some great places. Capri is one of the best. Granted the rooms are older but they a clean and priced right. The staff from the house keeping staff to the Management are extremely friendly and helpful . If you want to have the feeling of being on a cliff side Italian Village this is the place. The grounds are amazing. And you can't image a more wonderful view. You are only steps from putting your feet in the Ocean. This place can't be beat. Please try it and enjoy. Lynn

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Mlynnylynn, thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in our location and the views we have, and we are glad that you appreciate them as well. We hope you come visit us again soon!