“Great place at a great price.” 5 of 5 stars

Art Hotel - Laguna Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1404 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #12 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
hb
“Great place at a great price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Let me first say that I had planned a beach retreat for my family whom included myself, my husband, my children, my mom , my grandma, my 2 aunts as well as my niece and nephew. I was looking for something on a budget since this would be a 2 night stay for 3 rooms. Let me tell you, I couldn't find a more perfect place then The Art Hotel. I requested for myself and my children an ocean view room, and for my grandma and aunts, a ground level handicapped accessible room (since my grandma is quite frail) and for my mom, niece and nephew a room next to grandmas. Gail, who manages the hotel along with her husband, was more then accomodating. Gail went above and beyond. I did get all the rooms that I requested. The rooms were very clean, not frilly, clean bathrooms, coffee maker, microwave, and a small refrigerater. The children were so excited about the pool, on the day of arrival they went swimming the second they got there. The pool was just perfect (and heated). The very next morning, we had fresh coffee with pasteries on our patio overlooking the ocean and decided to take a short drive to the beach and took the children to see the tidepools. Upon our return, the children decided to go swim again. Afterwards we had some lunch and ate it on our patio. Gail even came by to see how everything was. And the staff was just as great, very friendly, social and accomodating. That evening we went out to eat ( walking distance). My husband even had some time to take in a fishing session (walking distance) while we were there. We all had such a wonderful time & couldn't have had a more perfect family bonding time, Thanks Art Hotel Laguna Beach for making this time to be remembered soo special.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Paradise, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

My sister and I are here in California for a few months taking care of my Mom's estate (she passed away in January). During the course of remodeling her home, we needed a place to stay during the demolition. We wanted to stay in Laguna Woods (about 10 miles inland from Laguna Beach) but couldn't find anything for less than $70 per night. We then found a small add in a weekly flying advertising a weekly rate at a Laguna Beach motel on the PCH.

We actually stumbled onto Best Inn by accident. Wendy, the front desk receptionist was awesome and said she had a great weekly rate that was just a bit higher than the motel we were originally trying to find. But the kicker was that Best Inn was in much better shape and had a lot more to offer.

We're at the end of our 2nd week here and really love it. I don't know what the summer rates are but our weekly rate is $442.40 (including the stiff hotel tax). Try to find this price elsewhere in the area; it's not easy! This place has met our needs perfectly with the following:
- under the hotel, there is safe, clean, secure parking
- continental breakfast of fruit, cereal, several kinds of bagels, cream cheese, OJ and coffee.
- I don't know about the other rooms but ours is a very spacious one with a small desk w/chair, a side chair, 2 queen beds, large TV stand with 3 large drawers, microwave and small refrigerator. The bathroom is HUGE and there's plenty of space for me and my sis' stuff on the counter. Also, the tub is one of the largest I've seen although neither of us are tub people. Great shower as well.
- daily maid service is great
- there is a mini-mart next door to pop over and buy simple necessities and we are just a few short blocks (down hill) to the beach. But we are just 2 blocks from our favorite Laguna Beach park which is Crescent Park (aka Vista Point)
- just outside our room is their pool with plenty of seating and even an hammock. There are also lots of plants and seating areas elsewhere as the motel is multi-level with little outdoor places to sit and relax.

Believe me, we have a lot of bags of stuff (files, suitcases, boxes of papers, etc.) and we aren't cramped in the least. There is even a mirrored large closet with lots of hangars. Look at the website photos which may help.

Anyway, we were so happy to have found this place and keep thinking how blessed we are! I just wanted to help someone else out who may find themselves in the same situation as we did.

• Liked — Price, location, size of room, amenities (including wireless internet & continential breakfast)
  • Disliked — decor is a bit dated but I hear they are about to remodel; a bit noisy due to location on PCH
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

After travelling around California on a budget we thought this place was a great find. Rooms were large and very clean with all amentities needed and a small balcony (which we could actually see the sea from). We were delighted that it had a pool albeit a small one, but wouldnt have thought we'd have got a place with a pool on our budget.
Owner was very friendly and advised us on eating out in a lovely italian restaurant. The beach is across the road and it was fine for us on a nice day. There is a grocery shop next door but other than that you will need a car to get around.

• Liked — large clean rooms, good value for money
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

Even on Trip Advisor and in the travel guides, this place is listed as 1 star and now I know why ..... but due to the reviews (written by the owners????) I was suckered into giving it a try....; My bad..... never again. It is NOT in a great location. You cannot see the beach. The major roadway is right out the door. The property is old with new paint.... The real beaches are to the south. The only upside is a nice bluff top park you can walk to, but if you go to the beaches below the bluff they are small and filled with rocks...... To get to any decent beach we had to drive and then parking took forever. Know what you want before you book. If you only care about price and location does not matter this may work for you otherwise keep looking....... Waldorf Estoria my A**

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

I absolutely loved the weekend I spent at the Best Inn Hotel in Laguna! My boyfriend and I needed somewhere to stay last minute and the only hotels listed on the travel websites were in Anaheim, etc so we just showed up in town and got lucky! The room was perfect for our needs and we were so close to all the stores and restaurants......not to mention the beautiful beach! The only thing I would have changed would be the decor, which was slightly drab. In any case, it was immaculately clean, the service was awesome, and the location was perfect!

• Stayed June 2006
Orange
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

Clean and comfortable rooms. Young, the owner, was so accommodating and friendly. He made my bithday weekend in Laguna very pleasant. He was welcoming and helpful. If you are looking for an affordable room in Laguna with great service I highly recommend this hotel. We will definitily be back.

Stayed June 2006
Fox Island WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2006

We stayed at America's Best Inn Laguna Beach because of another review that said it was a hidden gem. We were a little apprehensive since the price was so good on <Lagunabeach>, but we decided to go for it. We are very glad we did.
We had a room that had a view as good as a condo on Maui. We were just a block and a half from a very nice smaller beach without a lot of people.
The new owner is making all kinds of improvements every week. He has also lowered the prices from what they were before. He bends over backwards to make sure your stay is enjoyable.
We highly recommend this unique place. We stayed there to go to Disneyland. It was an easy trip of about a half hour. It was much better than staying around Anaheim, and much less expensive. And we could go to the beach on the days we did not go to Disneyland. Much more of a vacation instead of just staying in a hotel.

Been to Art Hotel - Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!