I stayed at the Art Hotel in Laguna over Memorial Weekend. I have to say everything said about the Gail and Robert are true. They care about the people staying in their hotel and try to get to know everyone. Robert was very sweet to my dog upon check-in. Gail was doing some clean up work around the pool and stopped what she was doing to show me how to work the jacuzzi. Rarely do you find management so involved and caring. Having traveled all over the country, I really prefer the privately-owned hotels/motels just for this reason. Overall an enjoyable stay and I would ecommend staying here.
That said - here are pros and cons
-Pet friendly - no extra charge for pets
- In-room coffee, fridge and microwave
- Close proximity to the beach - walking distance - see below about the beach
- Great pool area - nice furniture and shade
- Large, clean bathroom
- Good A/C
- Nice sized room, flat panel TV
- Free wifi- works great
- Nice sized rooms - I stayed in the room with 2 beds
- Nice jacuzzi on 2nd Floor overlooking the ocean
- Very nice and helpful cleaning staff
- Free underground parking - when full - overflow is on the side street
- location - about a mile from downtown - this bothers some people, but I liked being away from the craziness of downtown
Cons - very minor
- A few people have mentioned free breakfast - it's really not a breakfast - it's more like snacks - fruit, granola bars and some danish - I was fine with this, but anyone wanting something more substantial will need to go to a restaurant or Vons which is about a little more than 1/2 mile down the road
- Bedding in pet friendly room - lots of pillows and nice comforters but wonder with all the pets staying in these rooms, how often the comforters and pillows actually cleaned?
- Floors in pet friendly rooms - I brought some cleaning products with me to pick up after my dog - when spraying the carpet for cleaning - the carpet was pretty filthy - I'm thinking a steam cleaning once or twice a month might be in order especially with that many pets coming and going.
- Uncomfortable bed - a previous poster mentioned this. One of the beds in rm 107 definitely had a indent/uneveness - I didn't say anything about this because I didn't want to switch rooms, but if you have a bad back like me, might be a little bit uncomfortable.
Crescent Beach - this has nothing to do with hotel, but if you are walking to the beach, realize it is down a very steep slope. Bad knees, bad backs would not do well and it's really not a good walk for flip-flops. I felt like I was schlepping my stuff up and down that hill. The last thing I want to do on vacation is schlep! Convenient restrooms and shower area for sandy feet. Lots of sand fleas and sand flies on the beach - again, no bad marks on the hotel, but you should know what you are in for when you go the beach!
Overall score - B
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We take notice of the "cons" and do our best to keep things up to par for our wonderful guests. We have tried to put in all our website marketing that we do NOT provide breakfast, and the snacks are just that - a bonus for those that do not want to go out and eat breakfast and have just a snack. :)
Report response as inappropriate
We appreciate your visit to Laguna Beach and we look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day!!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.