“Great value, and nice people” 4 of 5 stars

Art Hotel - Laguna Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1404 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Sacramento, California
“Great value, and nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Art Hotel is best thought of as a nice motel with a few extras, on the outskirts of Laguna, at a great price. If you want to visit the beach, and Laguna night life, and don't mind walking, this place will save you cash, and be a pleasent stay. Off street parking is free, and the staff is friendly. The closest beaches are across the highway and down the hill, just 10 min walk. The center of Laguna is one mile. We strolled the beach, then strolled to town for dinner, then took a cab back to the hotel. Later we enjoyed the very secluded hot tub on the second floor just next to our room. I will certainly stay here again on our next visit to Laguna. If you walk to town, dont walk along the highway. Choose a street one block above or below for a quieter walk through neighborhoods.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor in the back are a short, private walk to the hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel is roughly one kilometer from downtown but very close to nice beaches. We spent here two nights from Saturday to Monday. It took some time to understand each other with the hotel staff when we called them to book our room, but once there they were very kind and helpful. There is no breakfast in the hotel but in walking distance there are many restaurants, also indicated in the hotel brochure we found in our room. The room was nice and clean, with a small balcony. We had a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words....
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the Art Hotel in Laguna over Memorial Weekend. I have to say everything said about the Gail and Robert are true. They care about the people staying in their hotel and try to get to know everyone. Robert was very sweet to my dog upon check-in. Gail was doing some clean up work around the pool and stopped what she was doing to show me how to work the jacuzzi. Rarely do you find management so involved and caring. Having traveled all over the country, I really prefer the privately-owned hotels/motels just for this reason. Overall an enjoyable stay and I would ecommend staying here.

That said - here are pros and cons
Pros
-Pet friendly - no extra charge for pets
- In-room coffee, fridge and microwave
- Close proximity to the beach - walking distance - see below about the beach
- Great pool area - nice furniture and shade
- Large, clean bathroom
- Good A/C
- Nice sized room, flat panel TV
- Free wifi- works great
- Nice sized rooms - I stayed in the room with 2 beds
- Nice jacuzzi on 2nd Floor overlooking the ocean
- Very nice and helpful cleaning staff
- Free underground parking - when full - overflow is on the side street
- location - about a mile from downtown - this bothers some people, but I liked being away from the craziness of downtown

Cons - very minor
- A few people have mentioned free breakfast - it's really not a breakfast - it's more like snacks - fruit, granola bars and some danish - I was fine with this, but anyone wanting something more substantial will need to go to a restaurant or Vons which is about a little more than 1/2 mile down the road
- Bedding in pet friendly room - lots of pillows and nice comforters but wonder with all the pets staying in these rooms, how often the comforters and pillows actually cleaned?
- Floors in pet friendly rooms - I brought some cleaning products with me to pick up after my dog - when spraying the carpet for cleaning - the carpet was pretty filthy - I'm thinking a steam cleaning once or twice a month might be in order especially with that many pets coming and going.
- Uncomfortable bed - a previous poster mentioned this. One of the beds in rm 107 definitely had a indent/uneveness - I didn't say anything about this because I didn't want to switch rooms, but if you have a bad back like me, might be a little bit uncomfortable.

Crescent Beach - this has nothing to do with hotel, but if you are walking to the beach, realize it is down a very steep slope. Bad knees, bad backs would not do well and it's really not a good walk for flip-flops. I felt like I was schlepping my stuff up and down that hill. The last thing I want to do on vacation is schlep! Convenient restrooms and shower area for sandy feet. Lots of sand fleas and sand flies on the beach - again, no bad marks on the hotel, but you should know what you are in for when you go the beach!

Overall score - B

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Gail D, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We take notice of the "cons" and do our best to keep things up to par for our wonderful guests. We have tried to put in all our website marketing that we do NOT provide breakfast, and the snacks are just that - a bonus for those that do not want to go out and eat breakfast and have just a snack. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I will have to say they take pride in cleanliness considering they are also pet friendly. I have to say thank you for that. I almost do not want to give this a good review because then everyone will want to stay here! Front desk staff was amazing and friendly. Gail and Robert made our first pre and post baby vacation a wonderful stay. They talked and made faces to my 8 month old daughter and she loved it! Great location near the coves, and great place to be able to walk everywhere. Service staff was also very friendly and accomadating. After I booked, I called the hotel to verify it was pet friendly; the owner Gail answered and wanted to know what else I would need to make my stay better...wow "now-a-days" you just do not get customer service like that anymore!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We appreciate your visit to Laguna Beach and we look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day!!
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here last July and for the value I give it a five. Traveled with husband and two daughters (21 and 16). The hotel is clean and includes free parking and continental breakfast. We did not use the pool but the hot tub was a nice little surprise hot for my taste but perfect for the hubby. It is an above ground hot tub pretty secluded on the third floor I believe, it overlooks the ocean (from a distance) and the street, very fun, we snuck a glass of wine, shhh...For location I would drop down to a 4 rating, it is a little on the outside of town, but still convenient. There is a free trolley during the summer months that picks you up right across the street and will take you to downtown, if you are lucky you will get the oprah singing trolley driver. Be sure to continue walking down the strip there is a lot to see. Careful of the stop it is on the steep street, gettng on and off can be tricky, my daughter slipped and had a heck of a time pulling herself back up. We parked our car the entire time, the trolley's last drop is 11pm. Short walk across the street and down the hill and bam you are on the beach and it is a very nice area a lot of tidepools to explore, sea stars galore, I will try to post pictures. Having spent plenty of time in Laguna Beach sure there are more expensive and nicer hotels, but this is the best value by far, almost a year later the girls are still talking about it and my daughter just booked a stay with her boyfriend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent one night here 04/29/13 the location is good, the room clean #213 had a veiw of the ocean over PCH. Fill in night staff great welcoming and gave us a bogo coupon to a nice Italian restaurant. The manager wouldn't honor the yelp $10 coupon for checking in. Said his accountant had cancel that??? It was still there, should have just honored it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gail D, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Sorry, I was away for a few days, and appreciate all your comments.
Yelp is usually my call...
I have protective & fine staff, if unsure - stick with regular pricing; which is always reasonable
any day for Laguna Beach.
Thank you for your kind words & your business.
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

A gigantic thank you to Robert and the rest of the Art Hotel staff! The day before we were set to arrive, we were forced to cancel our trip due to an injury caused by a bicycle/car accident. Not only was the staff very sweet about us having to cancel at the last minute, but Robert also called the next day to let us know we would not be charged and to see how we were doing. Such a kind gesture! We're already looking forward to rescheduling and to say.ing thanks in-person.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gail D, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Art Hotel. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Laguna Beach.

Been to Art Hotel - Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!