“24 Hour Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Cliffs Inn

You added Laguna Cliffs Inn to your Saves list
Laguna Cliffs Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   475 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly By the Sea Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
San Diego, California
“24 Hour Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed overnight for spouse birthday. Shout out to Rachel **** and Kate**** - Staff is wonderful and was sweet enough to leave a gift for my surfer spouse. Got a newly renovated room and was very nicely done. Bed was comfortable, had a private balcony and the jacuzzi temperature was just right.
Wine and cookies in the lobby in the evening, perfect after our sunset stroll on the beach just around the corner from hotel.
Not far from downtown, but far enough that no disturbance from the nightlife happening down there.
We enjoyed the time there very much and will be returning again in the future.

Room Tip: Upper Floor has better view of the beach, less noise from upstairs neighbors.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the 'motel' for one night only (thanks God) during a recent business trip in CA.
I believe my title says it all...:(
The hotel has a nice website with professional photos, but it really is a motel. It advertises itself:

'Inspired by the colors and textures of California’s premier coastline, Laguna Cliffs Inn features an open-air layout with sweeping views of the sea and mountains making it one of the best Laguna Beach resorts for the price. The coastal, modern design echoes the beach below with natural hues and wood furnishings. Our Laguna Beach resorts convenient location is within a short walking distance to Main Beach and downtown Laguna Beach. Personalized service and attention to detail provides for the ultimate Laguna Beach getaway. Beginning with complimentary coffee and croissants at daybreak, a nightly wine hour at sunset, to cookies and milk before bedtime, guests of Laguna Cliffs Inn are treated with all the comforts of home amidst the calming breeze of the Pacific Ocean.'

In reality:
- yes, it has been slightly renovated, but it still is an old motel
- hardly any sunlight in rooms (have I mentioned the motel feel?)
- almost $300 for one night is a joke

I should give it an average rating (slight renovation), but because of the EXTREMELY MISLEADING website/photos, I'm leaving it with poor! TA Certificate of Excellence is a joke. I'm not sure how those are given, but I assume that based on the number of positive reviews.... Let me guess - professional website, professional photos, professional review writer!

Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS READ terrible/poor reviews as these tend to be true.

Room Tip: AVOID THIS PLACE ALTOGETHER - very misleading photos/website
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Rachel T, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear aj005:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. As with all guest comments, we learn our areas of weakness and where we excel. It is obvious the level of service we provided to you was overshadowed by your concerns. Please know that I have reached out to you personally if you wish to discuss your visit privately.

To our future guests, I would like to publicly address the concerns that aj005 expressed. While we do not consider ourselves a Four-Diamond resort I feel that it is honest to identify us as a small boutique property. One of the many benefits of being a smaller property is that we are able to add personalized service for our guests; along with great amenities such as our nightly wine reception, evening cookies, and complimentary Wi-Fi.

Recently our property was taken over by new ownership and they have read and listened to the concerns of our guests. One of those being that the rooms feel dark, as mentioned by aj005. As we move forward, our goal is to create a distinct story of the hotel that weaves in the Southern California surf-culture throughout our hotel. The rooms design will more natural light that will brighten the room. The pool area will be expanded to allow guests to lounge by the pool or enjoy the quiet nights around the fire pit. Artwork throughout the hotel will reflect the surf lifestyle. While there is quite a bit of work ahead of us I know that the final product will surpass the photos we currently have on our website.

With confidence, I can honestly say that all of our “excellent” reviews were not professionally written. Every day I interact with our guests and listen to the wonderful guest experiences that they share with me.

Aj005, I am truly sorry that we were not the right fit for you. Please know that if you are ever in Laguna Beach you may contact me to help you find the perfect hotel that will meet all of your needs.

Kindest Regards,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed overnight on a TravelZoo voucher, our first time at this hotel. It was wonderful! The room was great, the parking so convenient (underground, right off the lobby), it was blissfully quiet, the bed incredibly comfortable. There is a lovely walk right near the hotel along the cliff overlooking the ocean with beautiful landscaping along the way. They have wine in the early evening, cookies and milk later in the evening, and delicious croissants, coffee, and tea in the morning. A special shout-out for Rachel, who greeted us when we were checking in. We were lucky enough to talk with her that evening and again before we left. She is fabulous! She should be teaching customer service to everyone in the hospitality business! Would DEFINITELY stay here again!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ChloeChristine:

I cannot thank you enough for all of the positive comments you made about our hotel. I especially would like to say thank you for your special shout out; it meant the world to me.

ChloeChristine, you mentioned so many of our positive attributes but I did want to let future guests know that our hotel will be going through a renovation soon. I can't wait for you to see the new rooms!

Thank you again for the kind and I look forward to serving you in the future.

Warmest Regards,
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Traveled to the area for a meeting, first time at this property. Very reasonable priced for the amenities, great value. Room was nicely appointed and bed was comfortable. Nice pool area and underground parking. Good views of the ocean and only a short walk to restaurants and the beach. I will stay again if in the area and would recommend to anyone.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Stokesberry4:

Thank you for making Laguna Cliffs Inn as your home away from home. Laguna Beach is an ideal locations for business travelers, in the Orange County area, that allows you to mix work with a little bit of pleasure.

If works brings you back to the area soon please give me a call. I would love to tell you about our corporate rate that we offer to business travelers.

Regards,
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Looked high and low for a property for my families visit. Janie at Laguna Cliffs helped me with reservations for my daughter/son-in-law, and two girls, 5 and 8 years old. Unseasonably warm October, family in from New York. Girls learned to swim while here in perfectly sized pool. Rooms generous, wine served in evening, can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Not a bad room what what I could see...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

While my rental property was being worked on I had to find a hotel for one night in Laguna with a moments notice and luckily I stumbled upon this boutique hotel. Upon arriving I noticed the cute artwork in the parking garage and was excited to see what this hotel had to offer. Zach (front desk agent) quickly greeted me with a smile and began the check in process by informing me of all the amenities. This hotel has a pool/hot tub and is a block from the famous Heisler park. Rachel (General Manager) accommodated my needs with a beautiful clean room with a private balcony on the second floor. What a great view of the city/ocean! Even my checkout was easy and professional. Troy gave me a receipt and sent me on my way. Overall this hotel surpassed my expectations. I will definitely be coming back for a stay-cation.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachel T, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Beth S:

We are so thankful that you stumbled upon us! There are times that I feel like we are the best kept secret for our locals.
I would also like to thank you for recognizing how professional and friendly our associates are. We truly love what we do and it clearly shows during every interaction with our guests.
Beth, if you ever need to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you with any of your reservation needs.

Warmest Regards,
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed here in October while I was in town for a wedding. The location could not have been better. Directly off PCH within easy walking distance of the Laguna Arts district. The staff was incredibly accommodating, and the room was very clean. The view is marginal and the grounds are dated. But if you're looking for a weekend getaway in gorgeous Laguna Beach for a very reasonable price, this place is perfect.

Room Tip: Be sure to get an ocean view, as the other view is of the road and can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Cliffs Inn? Share your experiences!