“Lovely people & close to the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Cliffs Inn

You added Laguna Cliffs Inn to your Saves list
Laguna Cliffs Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   475 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly By the Sea Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
“Lovely people & close to the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights and it was lovely! We had a spacious double room with partial ocean view from the rear balcony. No window out to the balcony though, only door. Maybe it was designed like that to protect from the traffic noise. Because it was surprisingly quiet while right on PCH. Complementary parking & WiFi were great! Lovely courtyard, lots of plants, small pool and a hot tub. Overall very clean and neat property. Though there was an unpleasant old-carpet-smell in the room if left with air-con off. We did not mention that to the staff as time was rather spent enjoying lovely beaches, coves, restaurants & galleries Laguna Beach has to offer. Taking the location into account the value-for-money not that bad.
The hotel is only minutes from the most beautiful coves with tide pools. Dining is just perfect. A few times we had breakfast at Las Brisas – fantastic service & great choice. Also ate at Alessa Laguna Beach – an Italian restaurant, fantastic food. Another time we bought some lovely prepared meal from Whole Food market which is about ten minutes walk.
Usual note on the absence of a kettle to make a cup of tea. We had asked for it and had been advised to use microwave or a coffee maker instead. Also we were not advised that there is morning refreshments provided, only discovered on check-out. That would have made “tea situation” more bearable. That aside the staff was incredibly welcome & helpful. Very useful PC with a printer in the lobby for park tickets/flight check-in printing.
Overall we would recommend anybody to stay in Laguna Cliff Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here for one night as we passed through Orange County.

The hotel has new management, but we found them to be very warm and no issues with our booking or anything.

We has a partial ocean view room, which was a view of the ocean skyline from the window by the door but it was still nice. Next time, i would just go without the view as you can get a very nice view from the open walkway on the top floor anyway.

The room was spacious and modern and the King bed was comfortable. The bathroom was not as nice, just standard but who really cares about bathrooms. It just didn't match the room so hopefully they re-model them eventually.

There were cookies in the afternoon and drink available in the lobby. There was also coffee and a donut/croissant mix pastry which was a nice breakfast when most places offer nothing.

The location is close to town, right before the boardwalk entering the main part of town on Ocean Ave. We walked everywhere.

I would stay here again as everything was so easy to get to and the room was comfortable.

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This property has been sold. They now have a policy of putting you next to the elevator or by the street if they don't think they charged you enough for your room.
I bought the room on their website. It was their price. But on check in we were told if you paid a lower rate you get a noisier room. The price booked was not what we were charged. It was 60.00 higher. The extra amenities they used to give you and which are still in the hotel services book in the room, you don't get that now. I have been staying there for years but now I'm going shopping for another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Rachel T, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear KMB727:

I was truly sorry to read about your experience at Laguna Cliffs Inn. I have reached out directly to KMB727 in regards to her response.

While KMB727 is correct that we are now under new ownership I would like to assure our guests that we have maintained the same wonderful staff. One of the changes that we have made is that we now allow our guest the opportunity to reserve a room with a balcony at a premium rate. No longer will a guest have to wait and see if their request was honored. We have also begun serving Croughnuts and Coffee in the morning and continue to provide our guests with complimentary Wi-Fi and beach amenities.

KMB727, please look me up if you have plans to stay in Laguna Beach in the future. I would love to remind you that Laguna Cliffs Inn is still a great property to stay at.

Regards,
Rachel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I booked this on hotels website . Website said free parking and welcome basket. We got charged for parking and got no welcome basket . We had a 1 st floor room. It was clean but you could hear every footstep and toilet flush from the room above us . It was not worth the price .

Stayed May 2014
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were sad to leave this place. Great location, beautiful beach views and very nice staff, always so helpful and friendly. Definitely we will go back. I miss my morning walks in the park and on the beach so much.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Just checked out and hated to leave. Great staff and wonderful room in a good location. Will stay again when in Laguna Beach. Only thing that could have been better was a place on the water, but only two blocks to the waterfront park which I also recommend.

Stayed May 2014
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

What more can I say that my title doesn't already convey. We loved this place, we loved Laguna Beach, CA. My wife and I stayed here from 4/14 - 4/17. We were taking a quick break from the horrendous Chicago winter and decided a few days in CA should do the trick. We landed at the Laguna Cliffs Inn, based on the reviews from my fellow Tripadvisor reviewers. Well, yet again, they didn't lead us astray. The hotel is a quick trip from John Wayne Airport. Once we arrived, we were treated with a very warm welcome and a delicious cookie. We were quickly checked in and given what I can only describe as a great breakdown of where to go and what to eat. Armed with that knowledge and my Yelp app, we proceeded to have three incredible nights in Laguna. The hotel room was very clean. I loved the modern decor. The hotel is a quick block and a long hill away from the action. Everything is a long hill away. The hotel is located around the corner from Heisler Park, which is spectacular. A basket full of free healthy treats every morning aided us in our morning hikes. And I can't forget about the beds, soft and comfortable. One quirk if your'e over lets say 6 feet tall. The shower in my bathroom was short. Just something I noticed because at 5'9", I was at the edge of too tall. For a cute boutique, in a gorgeous city, right next to an amazing park, down the street from the beach, it just doesn't get much better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Cliffs Inn? Share your experiences!