“Great location, small property, wonderful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Cliffs Inn

You added Laguna Cliffs Inn to your Saves list
Laguna Cliffs Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   475 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly By the Sea Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location, small property, wonderful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is smaller than I'm used to, but the location makes it wonderful. You are within walking distance of main beach Laguna and all it offers. The staff are fantastic, especially John, Kathy and Paula. Although the property is small, they make up for it by creating seating spaces and groupings with live plants and comfy chairs. There is always fresh fruit and water or juice in the lobby, as well as coffee and tea. The rooms have a nice snack basket, and the refrigerator is a blessing. I would definitely stay here again. They are making improvements to this property continuously, and are enthusiastic about making sure all guests have an amazing stay. Beware of paper thin walls and children who run the hallways. Noise is a factor here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We experienced a pleasant stay at Laguna Cliffs Inn with our five year old. Clean and comfortable rooms combined with a pleasant walk along the coast makes this a true value. That short walk gets you to the main beach as well as Laguna Beach's village. The shops and restaurants offer a charming getaway from a day of surf and sand. We loved it!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Burbank, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Let me start off by saying that there were a lot of things I really liked about Laguna Cliffs Inn. Our favorite beaches were literally a three minute walk away. Two members of the staff in particular, Paula and John, went above and beyond to make me and my girlfriend feel welcome. Unfortunately, the negative part of my experience really outweighs all of that.

Here we go.

I wanted an ocean view, so I called several days ahead to reserve a king deluxe room for two nights. Unfortunately a king wasn't available the first night, so I reserved a queen deluxe for the first night, and a king for the second (It was for my girlfriend's birthday, so I was trying my best!). I got the email confirmation, and everything was good.

When we checked in, we were given a traditional (pool-view) room on accident. I went back to the lobby to get the room changed and found out there were no more deluxe rooms available. Evidently the room I had reserved and paid for had been sold to someone else.

I didn't make a fuss, but I did explain that I wasn't happy and that I hoped it would be addressed. I was very politely told that someone in management would speak to me. This was a birthday weekend for my girl, and I wasn't trying to make extra drama, so I let it go at that. At no time did I raise my voice or act out or anything stupid.

Well, we were there for three days, and you could tell that the staff was on eggshells around me, and yet no one ever broached the subject. I patiently waited, hoping they would speak up, and they never did, as if hoping that I would just forget. On the last day I made it clear that I was very unhappy, and got a promise that something would be done. I'm still waiting.

I'm not looking for a lot, but I do think I deserve some sort of compensation for reserving and paying a deluxe room price and getting a traditional room instead. I would much rather have booked somewhere else - I hate settling. Otherwise, what's the point of making a reservation? Very disappointing.

It feels really messed up to give this place 1 star, but with service like that there's no way I would ever go back. And if a friend of mine went there and was treated the same way, I would really be pissed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
serviceheart, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Good Day Noshir,

You and I have since corresponded so I thank you for your graciousness and for choosing to stay with us!

Thank you also for beginning your review with many positive compliments about Laguna Cliffs Inn and mentioning our special team members John and Paula. It seems that you definitely enjoyed many things with your visit and for that I am very happy.

As I shared with you our team shares our apologies that we disappointed you as our guest and thank you for the understanding and graciousness that you exuded.

You do have my cell phone number for any additional assistance and sincere thanks to you.

Düsseldorf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great hotel, great value. Coffee, Oranges, Apples, Cookies complimentary in the lobby. The pool is disappointing small and not for swimming. But we had a nice balcony and the people are very friendly. I can definetly recommend it. I was travelling for business and had to order a cap twice and missed both of my appointments because I had to wait for more than 45 minutes !!! The caps were pre-ordered but late as hell. I do not want to throw the hotel under the bus for it, but if you are travelling for business you need a car or Laguna Beach is the wrong spot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
serviceheart, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so very much for choosing our special inn for your business trip as we are a home base for many Orange County corporate travelers and very highly rated on Trip Advisor for the business !

Your comments on your stay are very much appreciated and we hope to see you back as a vacationer in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were inconvenienced and frustrated by a Laguna Beach cabby. We certainly pay great attention to our vendor relationships that affect our guest experience and I have addressed it.

Warm Regards and Appreciation,
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent one night at Laguna Cliffs in and had a good time. The room and bathroom were big. The bed was comfortable. The idea of the breakfast basket is great. You get a cereal bar, a muffin, etc and you can go down to the reception area and pick up a cup of coffee and some fruit. So overall, really nice stay. The reception area is very nicely decorated and the rooms are too. There is a small pool. The staff was friendly. Good value for money overall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night recently and it was a pleasant experience. The hotel is small, which I prefer, clean and comfortable and really close to the beach. Although they don't have a restaurant on site the hotel is in close proximity to plenty of restaurants.

For the price this hotel is a good choice for a nice mini vacation getaway to Laguna Beach. We will most likely stay there again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We spent 12 glorious days here. The staff here is superb. They go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Offered to help with calls for transportation. Most evenings when we returned from our beach and dining walks we were greeted with a plate of fresh warm , fresh from the oven, cookies. Always had fresh fruit (especially oranges) in the lobby, and hot coffee, or water for tea.
Pink Grapefruit Juice and water with oranges. Definately will return here as soon as I can.

Room Tip: As far as I know the hot tub was the only fitness equipment there, also a hoist for the pool for fol...