“Just renovated!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Cliffs Inn

Save Saved
You added Laguna Cliffs Inn to your Saves list
Laguna Cliffs Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   475 N. Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 (Formerly By the Sea Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Laguna Beach
Pacific Grove, Ca
“Just renovated!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We decided to spend some time in Laguna Beach during the holidays and this Inn was very comfortable. Rooms are lovely and staff is very attentive. Since this place is part of the Pacifica Hotel Co. we did have an idea of what to expect. We have stayed at several of their properties in Cambria, Ca. over the years. The only thing we missed was the breakfast they provide in Cambria. Otherwise, we would visit again and recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel that is one block from the beach. It is up on the cliff, so you have to walk down the stairs to the beach. The hotel will even loan you beach chairs. Not much of a view at the hotel. Just peeks of the ocean, but it is close by. It has a small pool and hot tub. Excellent coffee in the reception area with real cream, not the powdered stuff. If you're lucky, you may get a cookie upon check- in. We did and they were delicious chocolate chip cookies. We found the reptionists to be conscientious and helpful. This is not a deluxe resort. Just a simple hotel with a personal touch.

Stayed November 2012
Coolangatta, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

5 star service at a 3 star price! The rooms and property are nice quality. The muffins and coffee are great. The staff go out of their way to be accommodating. The location is also handy and close to a beautiful park. The standard of public art in the parks of Laguna is impressive! I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Laguna Cliff Inn in October 2012. As we checked in, the cookies as you checked in was a nice touch. Staff was very nice, but the price for our room seemed a little higher than agreed upon. I asked “David” about this and he mentioned that that’s exactly the same as my Reservation Confirmation sent to me. Unfortunately, I did not print out my Confirmation so I check in, and looked it up when I got home. My Reservations Confirmation WAS a lower rate. I called the Laguna Cliffs and the emails went back and forth about 8 times to clear this matter up. Cameron (from Laguna Cliff Inn) was starting to get rude and condescending with the emails. They basically gave me a higher rate for 2 nights and a lower rate for the last night, but no details are on the confirmation email (with a single lower rate) which lead to the confusion…. It worked out to the same total, but I didn’t appreciate their attitude and condescension.

They advertise a continental breakfast which sounds nice but is really store bought muffins and a beverage. I saw other guest looking around in the morning, that just walked away. Don’t expect much. However, there are two restaurants about 2 blocks away that was nice. They gave us room 201 which is right next to the elevator with a loud and annoying bell. It kept getting me up during the nights. The other disappointing event was the second day after returning to our room. We discovered that our room wasn’t locked and was open. I called the front desk and she said she will be right up. After about 15 minutes, I called again and the front desk said that she was busy and she will be right up – again. When she did show up, she pointed out that I must have used the door “incorrectly.” I told that I worked for the airlines and we’ve been warned (due to recent thefts with flight crews) that while in hotels, always push on the door when leaving to check for an unlocked door. My room was serviced, but she insisted that it was I who used the door “incorrectly.” Other than that, the location was great, just a short walk to town, and right next to the cliffs with a walk path. However, I don’t think I will be revisiting the Laguna Cliff Inn again.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room away from the elevator. There is an annoying bell. Also double check your do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
serviceheart, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for staying as our guest, and for your time and heartfelt review. Our team apologizes for the inconvenience and frustration while our guest. We simply want to have your experience be perfect and it was not.

We do care greatly about your feelings and opinion on your guest experience and as a team we are disappointed you have chosen not to return.

As an integrity driven business the rates were absolutely what you were quoted from the online promotion and I apologize for the confusion. The website offers a "view price breakdown tab" which may have caused the miscommunication. We practice business with great honesty!

Again, our apologies for the frustration and hopefully you will offer us another chance if you are in the area!
Willowbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Wow!!! I really loved this hotel. My boyfriend and I had never been to Laguna and were thrilled with the stay at Laguna Cliffs Inn. We arrived to the hotel and a really sweet lady working there greeted us and got us checked in. She was so friendly and I wish I would have gotten her name because she was awesome! The room we got was BEAUTIFUL (room: 210) except the air conditioning wasn't working right. We called the front desk and they came up to look at it and asked if we would like another room. Our other room (room: 207) was even better then the first! It had a beautiful view, a mini kitchen and a beautiful vanity area. The location was a minute away from a beach with unbelievable scenery. They even served warm cookies to guests at the check in area which was delicious. We would defiantly stay again:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your delightful review on our staff and inn! We work hard to impress and surprise and it worked!

Thank you again and we will see you in the future.
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The only thing that's missing at this place is a separate hair conditioner with the bathroom products. Literally, that's it. Everything else is great: The helpful, pleasant, professional staff, the rooms, the location, the welcome basket with snacks (as opposed to a price gouging mini bar). Love the fact that you can tell this was once a typical little beach side motel that's been renovated - and quite nicely, too. The tv's are great in that the remote controls actually work well rather than having to mash the buttons and aim the thing right at the monitor. I was there on a quick two night business trip, but there were travellers of all sorts - families, international travelers. Overall a quiet hotel in terms of not attracting "rowdies" but there was the sound of traffic passing by in the back room that I was put in - a minor non-issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you!

We are glad you had the relaxing opportunity to stay as our guest while on business. We are a favorite beach getaway for the Orange County business traveler offering a peaceful second home to conduct business or just rest at the end of a busy work day!

We will see you soon!
Westwood Los Angeles County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This must have been originally built as a motel, since it has catwalks and feels like a motel, but is very well kept up. The room is very clean, and the hotel staff were very, very friendly and helpful. Don't believe for a second that there is "ocean view" anywhere; if you walk out of the door and sit on the porch outside you can sort of see the ocean, but that is about it.

It might have rated 4 stars but for two flaws. First, the so-called continental breakfast was some coffee, guava juice and store bought, packaged muffins in a basket. While this technically may be a continental breakfast it is not up to any sort of quality standards. This could have been overlooked if you did not hear the shower in the room next door and above. Again, this could have been overlooked if it was not so, so loud as to disturb sleep and reading. Without these two very serious flaws it could have been much nicer.

For one night the location is perfect. For any more then that you may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Second floor, away from the elevator (especially avoid Rooms 101 and 201) or you will hear the "...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
serviceheart, General Manager at Laguna Cliffs Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you, thank you for staying as our first time guest! We greatly appreciate your heartfelt comments on the guest service team, hotel cleanliness and superb location.

We look forward to having you back as our guest and please make sure to mention the the best view available is important to you.

Please allow me to graciously offer one important clarification on our guestroom views. All of our 2nd floor guestrooms do offer a waterview from a front or back picture window and many also offer balconies with water and mountain views. We also have 1st floor guestrooms that offer a waterview from the balcony.

Again, thank you for taking time to share your feedback!

Been to Laguna Cliffs Inn? Share your experiences!