“Heaven ON Earth” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
san francisco, california
“Heaven ON Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

In September 2012 we spent our 25th anniversary at the wonderful Casa Laguna Inn & Spa. One of the delightful breakfast entrees they have is called "heaven and earth" and all I can say about our stay is that it was Heaven ON Earth. From the first moment meeting Lisa and her welcoming us to the Inn everything was exceptional. We were greeted in our room, the Cottage, by a wonderful note of congratulations and a bottle of champagne - what a delight to sip a glass while watching the sun set from our balcony.
The grounds of Casa Laguna are lush and meticulously cared for - the sounds of the fountains, the birds and the aroma of the flowers throughout the property added to the wonderful experience. We spent the afternoons swimming and relaxing by the pool and felt pampered as we had a wonderful soak treatment in the warm theraputic pool overlooking the ocean. One morning was spent at nearby Victoria Beach with umbrellas and chairs provided by Lisa - we had the beach nearly to ourselves and it was a delight.
What can we say about the breakfasts that other readers have not already raved about. The ability to have the choice of a number of entrees and sides made each morning a new adventure. Each breakfast entree - from french toast to heaven and earth - is prepared to order and arrived perfectly cooked - we couldn't help but stop by after each breakfast to thank the cooks!
Lisa helped us find an excellent nearby restaurant to celebrate at on the evening of our anniversary - we came back to soak in our jetted claw foot tub looking out to the night sky. Each late afternoon we spent time enjoying the wine selection and wonderful appetizers - that plus the great conversations with the other guests made a wonderful start to each evening.
We look forward to our next visit and this time we will bring Lily (our spoodle) since the inn is pet friendly. Again Lisa and team THANK YOU for a wonderful celebration of our anniversary.
Salim and Monty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
The management and staff of Casa Laguna Inn & Spa were thrilled to play an important part in this couple’s very special anniversary. We love to see couples take advantage of all our inn has to offer, from tranquil garden nooks to ocean view balconies and terraces, therapeutic sunset soaks, acclaimed breakfasts, and all the myriad amenities mentioned by Salim. Our hard-working assistant manager, Lisa, loves getting kudos, and she wants this couple to know that providing them with the highest level of personalized guest-first service throughout their stay was a pleasure and privilege. We appreciate Salim’s mention that beautiful Victoria Beach is very nearby—only a 10 to 15-minute walk through pleasant local neighborhoods—and that we provide chairs and umbrellas to make our guests' day at the beach a more pleasurable one. We cannot thank this couple enough for taking the time to let others know how much they enjoyed their Casa Laguna getaway, and we hope that Salim and Monty will be able to celebrate anniversaries with us for many years to come.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

From the way in which Casa Laguna promotes itself I had really expected a contemporary boutique hotel - that is not what this hotel is, despite its very hefty pricing. There is certainly a lot of window dressing but underneath it, this is a roadside motel that is sorely in need of an overhaul.

While the garden and a nicely presented breakfast are all very well, these things are not fundamental to guest comfort. They don't compensate for cramped rooms, outdated AC and bathroom fittings, horrible fake fires, tired furnishings and theadbare carpets. While there is a view of the ocean on the other side of the PCH, there is no nearby access to it on foot and it was impossible to sit and admire it because the balcony of our room was in fact the communal walkway joining all the rooms.

$400 a night is a cheeky price to ask for all this - I paid the same the previous night for a balcony room at the 4 Seasons in Beverly Hills (and I had the balcony to myself). Doubtless
CasaGirl will respond to this review, telling me essentially that I'm wrong, that all other guests like the place and that I should shut up (this is the only hotel I know that counters its critics in this charming way, as opposed to acknowledging that perhaps some of the points being made are valid and worth listening to). Clearly she has a point, and many people do like it. Personally, though, I'll stick with 'big-box' hotels that have had meaningful makeovers carried out in the last two decades, or else go down the road and pay the $100-$200 that I would expect to be charged for accommodation of this standard.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
We are so sorry that Casa Laguna did not meet Crowsbill’s criteria. Because Crowsbill mentioned me specifically, I want him/her to know that I believe everyone has the right to express their opinion, and I respect that he/she has chosen this forum for that purpose. But I also believe that hoteliers have an equal right and duty to respond to reviews—particularly highly negative reviews such as this one—in an honest and straightforward manner. I will only say someone is wrong when I can back up my claim that they are wrong. For example, when someone incorrectly says that we promote ourselves as a contemporary boutique hotel, I can say that they obviously never looked at our web site or read any of our nearly 400 5-star reviews. Had Crowsbill read the About page on our website, he/she would have learned in the first paragraph that a portion of our property was, in fact, a historic motor-inn built in 1946, that was remodeled in 2000 as a bed & breakfast inn and has been continuously upgraded. The word contemporary is never used in our promotions, while the words quaint, romantic, tranquil, and historic are used again and again. When someone claims they saw outdated AC, tired furnishings, and threadbare carpeting, I can say they are wrong and show them photographs and receipts to prove it. All of our rooms have been regularly inspected and upgraded since we opened 12 years ago. Crowsbill’s negative opinions are based on his/her admitted preference for hotels like the specified Beverly Hills Four Seasons, with cookie-cutter rooms and laminated hotels-R-us furniture. Had Crowsbill looked at the page on the Casa Laguna website that shows the room he/she booked, they would have seen photos of the room that show exactly how it is furnished, and even a photo of the outside balcony and the ocean view. The square footage of the room is clearly listed in the description, and room size is described as small but quaint and comfortable in more than half of our nearly 400 5-star reviews. Finally, if Casa Laguna has a high opinion of itself, that is because our guests continually tell us how much they love our tranquil garden atmosphere, cloudlike beds, superb service, myriad amenities, and delicious food; and, the absence of the hassles and hustle-bustle associated with big name hotels and resorts. We always readily admit that we are not for everyone, and we continue to encourage travelers to do their research— to make sure Casa Laguna is right for them by taking a few minutes to carefully peruse the website and reviews before booking.
pomona, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed for two nights here based on Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. We had a partial ocean view room with a small deck area; which was nice, but there is no avoiding the road noise in front...okay in small doses. We knew about this before we arrived and everything else, from the staff, to breakfast and the wine reception and the comfortable room was very nice. As far as parking, if you have a smaller car it's not a problem; you just need to be aware of the tight spaces. We also walked to nearby Victoria Beach and got to see the surrounding area as well. While in Laguna Beach, make sure to check out the main beach area which is amazing!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
We want to express our sincere gratitude to sharon1717 for choosing to stay with us at Casa Laguna and for taking the time to let others know how much they enjoyed their time at our inn through this fair and balanced review. We hope they will have they will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.
Cookham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The staff at Casa Laguna were outstanding - friendly, attentive and efficient. Great location (be aware Casa Laguna is located right on Pacific Coast Highway but is far enough above this busy road for the noise not to be intrusive). Our bedroom was like a doll's house - tiny but very comfortable and containing everything we needed - lots of special touches, making Casa Laguna different, unusual and memorable. The breakfasts were 'to die for' - exceptional fine dining (unusual for breakfast). The 5-7pm wine and nibbles get-togethers were fantastic - many like-minded guests got together to share the time, get to know each other and generally enjoy!
The grounds on which Casa Laguna is located are fabulous - watch the sunset from the Bell-Tower (stunning!). Free WiFi is a bit slow but with patience, it works!
One negative - the property's smoking policy (very ANTI) - have to smoke at the bus-stop (outside the front entrance and ON Pacific Coast Highway) or on the steep hill street outside the car park (off the property) - the local neighbours didn't like this and vocally voiced their displeasure!! Casa Laguna could benefit from designating one of their many terraces for use by smokers otherwise some guests may simply 'break the rules' and smoke on their balcony etc. (I didn't but I didn't appreciate being so unwelcome as a smoker!!).
Finally, Casa Laguna's General Manager seemed rather too 'full of her own importance' for my liking - an ex-Corporate hotel manager, her attitude was, in my opinion, a little too disingenuous. She could learn from being less Corporate and more relaxed and interesting in her guests (like her staff!).
All in all, Casa Laguna is a great place to spend 2-4 nights (we stayed for 6 nights and maybe this was too long!). Enjoy this quirky little gem and all it has to offer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view and away from the roadside - sunsets are stunning!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We cherish all of our many five-star reviews, but we cannot help but be particularly proud of those written by Top Contributors who are as well-traveled as H1CAJ. We are so glad H1CAJ enjoyed all that Casa Laguna has to offer and we thank this couple for taking the time to share the details of their experience through this review. We smiled upon reading the word “quirky” in the title, and we can only assume our UK friends use that word to indicate unusual and original rather than eccentric and peculiar. We also thank H1CAJ for giving us the opportunity to provide important information about Laguna’s strict non-smoking ordinances. Those who come here from places where public smoking is common and openly accepted, particularly Europeans, should be aware that under California labor code it is unlawful for any individual to smoke tobacco products in an enclosed workplace, including restaurants, bars, shops, government buildings, and more. Laguna Beach ordinances further extend that restriction to include beaches and outdoor restaurant patios. California recognizes second hand smoke as a very real health issue, and therefore also permits individual businesses to restrict or prohibit smoking as they see fit. To allow smoking anywhere on our property would mean that second-hand smoke would make its way onto nearby patios and into nearby rooms, and that would be generally unhealthy and unacceptable to most of our guests. The fact that our neighbors voiced their displeasure at having someone smoking nearby shows how serious the Laguna Beach community is about this issue. I spent a great deal of time discussing the situation with this guest while she was staying with us, and I can only guess that it was my refusal to acquiesce on the subject that led to her bad opinion of me. I am, however, pleased to know that she found my staff pleasant, engaging, and helpful, as I have trained them to be. Most importantly, I am heartened to know that this couple greatly enjoyed their stay overall, and I again express my gratitude for their patronage and their honest and detailed feedback.
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at Casa Laguna; it was a really great experience. The staff are terrific; warm, friendly and professional. The rooms are comfortable. Location is perfect; right across the street from terrific beaches. We really enjoyed the evening wine reception; it was a great opportunity to mingle with the other guests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We thank Duck B for their patronage and for voicing their opinion that our inn deserves all the wonderful positive feedback we get from our guests. We hope they will soon have the opportunity to stay with us again.
Hamersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa Laguna for two nights. Everyone was friendly. I LOVE all the amazing flowers and fountains. The whole grounds made me feel relaxed and at home. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We originally booked the Mission Suite, but when we arrived we upgraded to the Laguna Suite. It was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It’s a fact. Couples love Casa Laguna’s romantic ambiance and tranquil, laid-back atmosphere. We’re so glad Renee K and her husband chose our inn for their romantic getaway, and we can’t wait to spoil them again in the near future. And we loved their pictures.
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Love this place! Checked out several other hotels in Laguna even after 3 previous stays, trying to beat the Inn experience, but couldn't find something comparable. You just cannot beat the free gourmet breakfast, the free parking, the free wine & cheese reception, the free wifi, the free juice & coffee bar, the beautiful grounds, and the exceptional attitude of everyone who works there. Will be coming back for my 5th stay no question! Tip: Put on the robes and take a late night swim in the saltwater pool.

Room Tip: Tip for romantic getaway bookings: make sure you book a room with a jetted tub.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate Schnooob taking the time to list all the valuable extras that keep so many loyal guests coming back to Casa Laguna again and again, and we’re so pleased to hear that this couple holds us in such high regard that they have made us their top pick in Laguna Beach. We look forward to providing them with superior service, atmosphere, and amenities for many years to come.

Been to Casa Laguna Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!