“Our favorite place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Apple Valley, California, United States
“Our favorite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We have been going to Casa Laguna for about 5 years. We try to go at least twice a year, sometimes three times. Always in February, August and December. It is beautiful no matter when we go. We have stayed in every room type they have, from the basic to the huge two room cottage. Our least favorite room is the Ocean View because it is upstairs and there are always people walking by. Unless you get the very end room, of course. Our favorite, believe it or not is the smaller, patio room.
We have never had an issue of any type when staying at Casa Laguna. The staff has always been awesome, and have gone above and beyond to make our stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible.
We almost always get couples massages and the massage therapists they contract with are extraordinary.
The breakfast is no ordinary breakfast; we are talking gourmet people!!! You have to try the Casa Benedict! Yum.
For anyone who may not know-we have seen a few over the years-this is NOT the place to bring your kids. This is a relaxing bed and breakfast for couples, not a family resort!!!
The pool/ pool area are beautiful and relaxing. Pure tranquility.
The ONLY thing that I don't like is how far it is from the main town. It isn't really within walking distance of anything other than the beach. I mean, we have walked into town, but it is quite far. It is within walking distance of an awesome restaurant called Dizz's. I also highly recommend Mozambique's Steak House, which is a little farther , but Casa Laguna's staff will always arrange for transportation if needed.
Another perk at this B&B- free parking!!!

Room Tip: Awesome view from the deluxe patio view rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Casa Laguna is very proud of our extended family of returning guests like Christina D who consider our inn their home away from home. Her balanced and honest review shows that she knows what she likes, and she likes most everything about Casa Laguna. Some of our guests would disagree with her about the Ocean View rooms, which are the furthest rooms back from the highway, and which have settees outside the door from which you can enjoy marvelous Catalina sunsets. But the diversity of room types mentioned by Christina D means Casa Laguna has something for just about everyone. We do need to mention that being 1.5 miles from downtown Laguna Beach means that we are away from the hustle bustle of the village, and in addition to nearby Dizz’s, there is also a highly Zagat rated restaurant called Tabu within walking distance. We thank Christina D for her detailed review--and her Casa Laguna family looks forward to welcoming her back again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Casa Laguna is a gem of a place. My partner generously took me there two a two-night stay for my birthday earlier this month, and from the moment the receptionist took us from the mission-style main house to our room through the garden with palm trees and a profusion of plants, explaining in a sweet way about the Casa and what it offered, we thought she’d chosen really well, and so it proved.

Try and get a room along the upper-floor verandah looking out to the sea, which is what we had. The view from our bed in the morning and especially of the sunsets in the evening - for which we took upstairs a plateful of the delicious cheeses, biscuits and dips and a glass of wine each from the happy-hour free spread laid out in the breakfast room, to have while sitting on the cushioned bench by the door of our room as the sun sank into the water in the west - were unforgettable. The room, though not large, was well-proportioned, with plenty of light, the decor, furniture and fittings simple but thoughtfully chosen, with the odd fun touch, all of which made it really nice to be in, and the same went for the large bathroom. As for the noise from the PCH, which runs in front of the hotel and across which we looked out to the sea, I can only say that I’m a light sleeper and wasn’t disturbed either night.

And then the breakfast! Besides exceptionally good coffee and of course cereals and fruit to serve yourself, there’s a menu for the main course unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The first morning I had some Scandinavian pancake balls that came filled with crab, spinach and a feta cream-cheese blend, with a citrus sauce and sides. The second morning, despite whispers from my partner not to be such a piggy, I had stuffed French toast - which the menu says is brioche marinated overnight in a chilled batter of egg, vanilla and cream, then pan-seared and stuffed with maple-syrup- infused mascarpone and served with a sweet-tart blueberry sweet-sour sauce. Yum-yum is all I can say.

If all this sounds too good to be true, I have to admit our hearts were captured from the start when, my partner having told the receptionist as she booked that we were coming for my birthday, as we entered our room we saw on the dressing table a half-bottle of champagne, with a note of congratulations and thanks for our having chosen to spend the occasion at Casa Laguna, and the offer of the two flutes etched with the name of hotel to take with us as a souvenir. That, as we realised next morning, had come from Kathryn, the really nice woman who runs the place for the set-designer owner who bought it and refurbished it eleven years ago - and who, like her staff from the receptionists to the chef and the young breakfast waitress, couldn’t have been more helpful throughout our two days.

Any time we’re in Laguna Beach again, this is where we’re going to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
We agree that tripperpal’s partner made the perfect choice, since it’s clear that they and Casa Laguna were a perfect fit. When someone takes the time to write such a detailed review, we know that we’ve made an impression, and we loved tripperpal's descriptions of the services and amenities that made their visit a perfect one. We’re proud to add tripperpal and partner to the ever-growing UK branch of our Casa Laguna family tree, and we look forward to their return.
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa during late December 2011. We were stricken with the calm, Spanish-villa style Inn right off of PCH. We loved every minute of our stay there. The breakfasts were delicious and presented beautifully. The evening complementary wine and cheese reception allowed us to unwind at the end of the day enjoying Laguna beach. My favorite part though were the beds and the pillows. This was the best I've slept in a while. Great retreat, would definitely return again :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank Kyle F enough for taking the time to post this, our 400th review, and for letting others know how much he and his wife enjoyed their stay at our inn. He’s not the first to rave about our 7-layer beds, and now we know this couple will return again and again, like so many others who have found Casa Laguna to be the perfect place to relax, renew, and rejuvenate.
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I really liked it here. The service was excellent. My room was small, but spotless and well appointed, and it had a very nice little private area outside the sliding door. The property itself is like a maze, which I though was cool. Don't worry, it's a small and easy maze. The nightly wine tasting is nice, and the included breakfast was very good. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
erock1974 is the first reviewer to use the word "maze," which we do hear from time to time in regard to our many terraced gardens, tiled stairs, and 1920s brick-lined walkways. As this guest indicates, it’s not as confusing as it seems the first time through. That’s why everyone always gets a guided tour when they arrive. While Casa Laguna is very popular with couples, we also have lots of solo travelers, like erock1974, who find that our inn is the perfect place to just relax in a tranquil setting and have some alone time. We look forward to his return.
Newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I decided to take some time away from work sowe stayed in The Cottage for two nights. We had heard about Casa Laguna from afriend so we had high expectations for our stay. Fortunately we were verypleased with the whole experience! When we arrived we were given a beautifultour of our room. It had an elegant large bathtub and a separate shower thatwas also a steam room. The bed gave us a great night’s sleep and then we woke upto an ocean view before heading down to a delicious breakfast. All the staff were friendly and helpful.Mostly a young man named Nick took care of our many requests. He gave plenty ofattention to our needs and was diligent about making our stay comfortable. Weleft feeling relaxed and happy and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Like Amber L and her husband, many local couples find Casa Laguna to be a perfectly tranquil, romantic location for their local getaway or staycation. As anyone can tell from our website and reviews, our grounds and amenities are geared toward both individuals and couples like Amber L and her husband who are looking to get away from the hustle-bustle of family-oriented hotels and resorts, and just experience some quality down time. We appreciate Amber L’s flattering review, and we have passed along her compliments to our hardworking staff. We will be delighted to add this couple to our long list of regularly returning guests.
San Clemente, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband and I chose Casa Laguna for our wedding night and the first couple days of our honeymoon and we are so glad we made that decision. We stayed for two nights in the deluxe room w/view patio and it was so comfortable and cozy. The bathroom was small but cute, but the tub with the jets was really great for relaxing after a wedding! The only problem we had was that the fireplace didn't work the first night, so when we let the reception know about it in the morning they had it taken care of right away and they were really nice about it too. And the best part of Casa Laguna has to be the food! Those breakfasts are incredible, the Eggs Benedict, the aebleskivers, and good coffee to top it all off. We never went to the spa, we saved that for the next part of our trip to Qamea in Fiji, but part of our plan for the honeymoon was to have part of it local so we can go back and stay there again for an anniversary... so we'll just have to check that out next time we go back, and we can't wait. We definitely recommend staying here for part of a honeymoon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
As anyone can tell from our website, promos, and reviews like this one, Casa Laguna is all about romance. We are so pleased that this couple chose Casa Laguna for their wedding night—and we’ll be thrilled to see them come back again and again for their anniversary, as so many couples do each year. We apologize for the fireplace problem, and as a result of this review, we are now taking extra care to assure fireplaces are checked for proper function before each guest arrives. We cannot thank Karey S enough for taking the time to let others know how much they enjoyed the local start to their honeymoon at Casa Laguna, and we wish them the very best as they start their new life together.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at Casa Laguna for a few days in between Christmas and New Year’s and it was one of the best vacations I’ve had in a long time. I was upgraded from a Deluxe Courtyard Room to a Deluxe Room with view patio, which I wasn’t expecting, and very appreciative of.

I love this property, with the flowers, and walkways, secluded nooks and chairs. It’s best to remember that it’s more cozy than spacious, but also important to remember that it’s more quiet than busy. I mean that in the best way possible, the property is located in the south end of Laguna Beach, and I quickly grew to appreciate how far away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist crowds it was.

I’m all about the details, so read no further if you want to be surprised.

The attention to detail is amazing. The welcome basket with personalized note, bottles of water, oranges, and a pack of homemade cookies. Bathrobes in the closet. The Himalayan sea salts for use in the tub. Gilcrest and Soames bath products. The Conair Magnifying mirror with the different lighting settings. The designated make-up towel (fabulous idea!) And don’t overlook the “Songs of Romance” CD that’s in the CD player. Sure, it sounds cheesy, but it actually is a collection of stellar love songs by vintage singers.

The wine and cheese reception, featured both alcohol and non-alcoholic options, but it was the breakfast options that really got me excited. I had the stuffed French toast, the caramel apple waffles and the Fried Egg sliders, which were my favorite of the meals.

And the beverage bar includes tea, lemonade, coffee, fruit juice, and Bellagio’s line of flavored hot chocolate.

I took a cup of the French Vanilla hot chocolate and climbed the bell tower to sit in a spot of sunshine. Such a relaxing way to spend the morning hours.

The staff was amazing, and I know I’m going to forget some people, argh, apologies in advance. Trevor, Lisa and Marchanyada at the front desk, Chanel my lovely server, everyone worked so hard to make sure I had the best time ever.

Many thanks to Casa Laguna Inn!

Room Tip: Make sure you read the room descriptions on the website, not all of them have tubs.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate Writerchickie’s thorough and superbly written review of her time at Casa Laguna—with some great photographs, no less. Our hard working and dedicated staff loves getting kudos, and we have passed along her gracious complements. We especially appreciate Writerchickie’s suggestion that prospective guests peruse our website carefully before making a room choice. Suites and Deluxe rooms like that experienced by Writerchickie have jetted double-spa tubs, while a few of our smaller “artist” rooms have glass enclosed showers without tubs. Now that she’s experienced our guest-first service and wide-ranging amenities, we know Writerchickie will want to make the quick trip from LA as often as possible, and we look forward to her return.

Been to Casa Laguna Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!