“Great location, but poor accomodations and service” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Laguna
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   425 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651   |
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location, but poor accomodations and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2005

The majority of the staff was not friendly. Not rude, but simply didn't seem to care about providing a courteous greeting or making your stay pleasant. The carpet in the stairwell and elevator smelled dirty. The restaurant and bar on the patio has a nice view, but expect to wait 10-20 minutes for a server to approach you, then expect another wait to receive your order.

The hotel rooms are old, but we didn't expect anything great being that the building is very old. However the bed was a joke. It sloped and curved and was the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in over the years. Again, the location is superb to access the local restaurants, so staying here is fine as long as you don't spend any time in your room other than sleeping.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

I wasn't aware of trip advisor when we stayed here, otherwise I never would have! We thought we would enjoy the private beach that the hotel offers, but we were treated terribly. I don't know what was wrong with the staff that was there to wait on us, but they were rude and that is putting it lightly. I wanted to order some snacks for our family and went over to 2 young men that had been setting up the lounge chairs. I asked if I could order something and was told that they don't handle food orders, so I went up to the restaurant where I was told that the beach staff did take orders, so I went back down again. The two guys were eatting inside the area where the lounge chairs are stored and ignored me, literally! I asked for help, they looked at me and went on eatting. It was so wierd. So, I went back up to the waitress I had spoken to in the restaurant and she agreed to serve us. Later, that afternoon the 2 men were cleaning up the private beach area of the dirty plates and cups and decided to stack them up on the little table next to my chair, while I was sitting there!! I let them know I was still sitting there and again they ignored me. I couldn't believe it! I am a soft spoken woman, I was polite the whole time, and yet they treated me this way. I was waiting for them to come up and tell me I was on some kind of hidden camera comedy show.

• Stayed July 2002
Southern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2005

On April 30th 2005 we had a very special retirement and birthday celebration at a restaurant in Laguna Beach and decided to spend the night and save the drive home. We selected the Hotel Laguna thinking it was elegant and would make for a great evening and morning walk on the beach etc. There only 3 things about the Hotel Laguna that caused us to pay internet rate of $148.50 for a dump room. Location Location Location. Otherwise I would advise skipping this old and used hotel, the room was so small we had to walk sideways to move around the old motel bed, we requested feather pillows to replace the foam slabs but the front desk almost laughed, I requested a King bed that was also unavailable so the small old queen had to do, the bathroom hasn't seen an upgrade in 40 years, the tub backed up during a shower and it's slippery, the mirror is old motel style and I'm 5'2" and couldn't see it because it was so small and high, our neighbors voices were heard through the thin walls, luckily we were overlooking the courtyard and could see and hear the ocean. Just thought I would save you money, our friends stayed at By The Sea for half the price and had a great room right down the street. If it ever gets un upgrade it might be worth it, otherwise save your money....

Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2005

This is the worst room I have ever stayed in. Period.

This Hotel has 5 purposes in the local community.
1) Its a historic landmark and source of pride where the rich and famous used to stay
2) Its a private beach club that wealthy locals subscribe to
3) Its a restaurant
4) It hosts events, such as weddings
5) Its a hotel

The beach is nice, but the service is overpriced. I paid $75 for cheeseburgers, fries, and drinks for 4 on the beach. This is right next to the main public beach with plenty of room, though, so unless you like paying thru the nose for service, I wouldn't recommend it.

The restaurant had good food and a good view. I'd recommend dining there, as long as you stay somewhere else.

There is a lovely garden and I believe that there is a ball room that would be an ideal place to host a wedding and reception, as long as you stay somewhere else.

There may be a few nice rooms overlooking the ocean (based on other reviews - not my experience), but our room was horrible. The room is tiny. Two twin beds for 4 people. No A/C. We were on the street side, so there was no ocean breeze. We had to keep the window open for ventilation, but there is no screen and the windows are low so the kids could have fallen out (ours were 9 and 15, but I couldn't imagine staying there with a toddler). We were right across the street from bars that stay open until the wee hours (and remember, our windows are open).

When I complained, it was explained to me that this was an old hotel, and what did I expect. What arrogance!!

The front desk was always crowded with people complaining about the room, the service, and their bills. No one seemed to care.

I stayed there 3 years ago, when I didn't know about trip advisor, and from reading the reviews, nothing seems to have changed. I hated this place so much that I took my time to warn you about it 3 years later as soon as I learned of the existence of the Trip Advisor.

Here's the worst part. They will never change as long as people keep patronizing this hotel. They make money off of the local wealthy who patronize the beach club and restaurant and who book events, like weddings. They also make money off of people with wildly romantic notions about staying in places where Bogart & Bacall once slept, or locals who have always dreamed of staying at the local landmark, or those who assume that a hotel named for the city in its most prime location must be fabulous (guilty).

Why don't they care if you complain? Because they are always full, despite the fact that most people hate it.

If you have fun imagining how fabulous the run-down place you are staying in must have been once, knock yourself out. If you want a comfortable place to lay your head, do not stay here. You couldn't pay Bogart & Bacall to stay here today, and I certainly don't expect to see any modern celebrities.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

This was our second stay at Hotel Laguna. We actually moved here after staying at Vacation Village for one night (very unsatisfactory). We love the location of Hotel Laguna. The rooms are small, but very clean. The bathroom is again small, shower only,no tub, but very clean and stocked with toiletries (none in Vacation Village). We got a room with a beach and ocean view that was terrific, (our ocean view room at Vacation Village was more of a roof view). The front desk staff was just average, not particulary friendly, but in no way rude. They also have free valet parking for hotel guests. They also have a private beach area, with chair, towel, and restaurant service. We will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2004

The Hotel Laguna is cursed...or I should say by the time you are through with your stay you will be cursing the Hotel Laguna.

The front desk staff is so accustomed to hearing complaints about the continual things wrong with the rooms in the hotel that they are ready to snap from the strain. When another guest complained about the bill at check out time, one woman behind the desk literally broke out into tears.

The rooms are creepy and dirty and some of the beds have cloth headboards that have not been cleaned since their Humphrey Bogart heyday. My wife and I would shiver in horror anytime we accidently brushed up against it.

Several times when we called cabs to pick us up at the Hotel Laguna the drivers were noshows. When we questioned the cab company about this, the dispatcher proclaimed that the Hotel Laguna is a "bad fare," and then proceeded blame US for this and then hung up.

If you dare to brave the screenless windows, stained headboards and dirty carpets say hi to Baldo for us.

Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2004

My husband and I booked a room at the Hotel Laguna for the weekend. We showed up at 3pm (check-in time) only to be told that they were full the night before and therefore our room would not be ready for another hour. We would have been ok with that, but the lady was rude and had absolutely no customer service skills. We went down to the hotel's private beach to wait. The gentleman working there was very rude. He explained that the private beach would be closing at 4pm due to a wedding. He was annoyed that we wanted to stay until 4pm on the beach. We had booked this hotel because of the private beach. So, we went back to the front desk. When we told her that we were disappointed that the private beach was closed she said that they never do that, this was a first. The front desk person never apologized once that our room was not ready nor did she apologize about the closing of the private beach.

We decided to stay at another hotel with good service.

Been to Hotel Laguna? Share your experiences!