“Disappointing, fell short of our expectations” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
Weybridge
“Disappointing, fell short of our expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

In some respects, La Quinta Resort was disappointing. We spent 7 days there and this is a summary of what we found :

On the positive side :
- nice setting, plenty of space, well tended gardens
- abundance of pools
- large bedroom and a very well appointed bathroom.
- the lunch time menu in Twenty6 is good
On the negative side :
- limited choice for eating and drinking, made worse by the fact that some of the bars and restaurants are closed during the week. This falls well short of what is expected from the web site information. The staff could not give any information as to what was opened and when and the hotel TV information was not being updated.
- there is no buffet breakfast during the week and the buffet breakfast choice at the week end is extremely limited, though beautifully presented
- while we were there, the hotel was overwhelmed by large corporate events
- beware of the electric buggies cutting across the road, especially at night when they drive without lights.

In essence, we were expecting a different standard for a resort in the Waldorf Astoria collection.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Villa Park, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

This was my fourth trip to the resort, and by far my most disappointing. I will from this point ALWAYS ask to be put on the east side of the driveway. The casitas on the west side are older and much more dated in their appointments. There were at least two rather large meetings/conferences happening at the resort during our most recent stay, and this seemed to slow down restaurant service quite a bit. The air conditioning/thermostat in our room required servicing after a sleepless WARM night. Details just weren't attended to on this visit. Always request a starlight casita. PETS ALLOWED...A HUGE, HUGE PLUS!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

The Palm Springs area is the first vacation destination my husband and I ever went to so we've decided to start taking an annual mini vacation there to celebrate our anniversary. This time we stayed the weekend (3 days/2 nights) at the La Quinta Resort and Club and overall we enjoyed our weekend however it was not because we had amazing accommodations. The resort was not what I expected because I read reviews online and almost all of them had great things to say and it is a Waldorf Astoria resort so with the name alone I expected much more.

We arrived at the resort about 2pm and we were greeted by friendly valet/bellmen and the kindness continued on to the front desk staff so the first impressions were definitely good. The resort is very big but that was not a problem as they offered a free shuttle via golf cart to transport you. Since the resort was spread out I imagine parts of the resort were newer than others and the part of the resort we stayed at was older. When we arrived we were told our room was 'upgraded' to a Deluxe King Casita however I would like to think that is what we originally reserved. If that is not exactly what we reserved then if you consider a private little courtyard and a fireplace an upgrade then it would be worth it but we didn't make use of either one (too hot to use the fireplace and I don't tan so no need for a private courtyard with loungers). I also think if this was an 'upgrade' what did our original room look like? The room seemed clean for being older however the fridge in the room did not close all the way so whatever we put in there didn't really stay cold and the safe in the closet did not open.

Because we booked our stay using our AMEX and it was booked through the Fine Hotels & Resorts program we were given complementary amenities. The amenities included were a free room upgrade upon check in if available, breakfast for two each day we were there and complementary lunch on one day so needless to say we ate at the restaurants at the resort the majority of the time but to us it was like 'hotel food'. Our first day there we had lunch at Twenty Six, we were seated quickly but then we waited a while for the waiter to take our order. For dinner we ate at Adobe Grille and again we waited a while for our waiter all through out our dinner, not only that but one of our entree's was wrong so we had to wait for the correct one. Breakfast the second day was at Twenty Six and we opted for the buffet and that was fine, the food was okay we ate outside and birds would come to our table and one of them took food from a plate. I can't really blame the hotel for the birds but it made for an interesting and protective breakfast. For lunch we again ate at Twenty Six and I had a tuna sandwich which had a lot of tuna in it but it was dry so I did not think it was very tasty and the waiter hit the water bottle on the table so it spilled, if I was an inch to the left I would have gotten wet but in this case I stayed dry but we were the ones that dried the table. The 3rd and final day we were there we wanted to try something a little different so we opted to have breakfast and The Dunes Club House, we ordered french toast which was actually delicious but we also had a breakfast burrito that contained a sugar packet wrapper in it. The quickest dining related service we received was when we called room service to bring two sets of silverware to the room and the best meal we had was when we had dinner outside of the hotel.

In advance I booked spa services for my husband and I, since they did not have a couple's package we each opted to get a spa package each that included a 15 minute bath, 50 minute massage and a 50 minute facial. I asked the reservationist if we could do the massage together even if we had to do everything else separate and she assured me we would be in a couple's room for the massage. The reservationist also told me we should arrive 15-20 minutes early and good thing we did because when we checked in I was told my bath was at 10:30am and my husband's was at 10:45. We would then have massages at 11am and then facials at 12pm. After check in my husband and I parted ways to our respective locker rooms to change and we intended on meeting back up in the courtyard to relax together. I finished changing and before I could make it outside I was called for my first service. The bath was nice, it was outdoors in a private court yard area when I was done I was being ushered to my next service which I then asked where my husband was because we were supposed to have a couple's massage so my therapist showed me to the Sage room and 10 minutes later came back and told me she was not able to find my husband's massage therapist nor my husband so she thinks they already went into their session so I was in the couple's massage room without my husband. It was only after my massage that I saw my husband sitting in the courtyard. As for my massage therapist, she had good pressure however I did not think she had very good flow and I think part of the relaxation of a massage is the smooth flow of it. My spa experience ended with a facial and I just felt like the Esthetician was just applying one product after another and if that was not bad enough everywhere she did an extraction she left a mark, one of which is actually a pretty significant one. We originally indented on lounging at the spa after our services however the courtyard was full and since we did not have the best experience (especially my husband) we opted to leave.

So, we made the best of our mini-vacation the best part of it was being able to spend quality time together but the resort did not really contribute to the betterment of our experience. We both have said we would not stay there again.

Eagle River, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Having read some negative reviews, well you never know and this time I would disagree. Had a fantastic stay here, room was clean, bed was very comfortable, grounds well-maintained, pools all over and even the restaurant 26 on site was very, very good. We did not eat at the mexican restaurant. There are quite a few good restaurants in the area as well that we enjoyed. I had a massage at the spa which was good, we used the main pool instead of the one outside of our room because well, it was close and we prefer a little more activity not quite so quiet as the pool outside our room. The employees were great, very helpful especially Susan the concierge. The only negative was that they must have been transitioning the flowers because many of the flower beds did not have flowers in them. Oh and the main pool did not have any service for food or drinks, maybe the time of year, I don't know, but it would have been nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thousand Oaks, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Sprawling grounds leads to pros and cons. There are 41 pools scattered on the property. Each pool is surrounded by a cluster of rooms (villas and casitas as they are called). All of the pools are pretty small and none have pool service. Chairs are covered in thin, bird poop stained pads. The second day we were there, we wanted to order lunch outside so we headed off in search of the Spa pool only to discover that there is no spa pool, only a cold fountain and a hot tub (although there is service there). Mexican restaurant service and food was just ok. Downstairs restaurant's service was much better. Resort charge of $27/day per room was added for "facilities fee"...."what facilities?" I asked? Fee was waived! The rooms were great though. Beds were super comfy, large enough for a rollaway bed and private patios were nice. Parking was easy and staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

My wife and I spent a long, leisurely weekend here to celebrate our 26th anniversary, and what a perfect place to do so. We are normally go-go-go, do-do-do type vacationers, but decided that we needed a place just to relax, unwind, and reconnect. This was the perfect place to do so.

I must say that the staff was incredibly attentive, polite, and bent over backwards to meet our every need. I can’t say enough about this – from the front desk to the bell staff to the servers in the restaurants – all combined to make us comfortable and feel so welcome and pampered.

We stayed in a Hideaway Suite – complete with a private hot tub that was well used during our stay. We enjoyed the room – good size, clean, and comfortable. I think our favorite part of the weekend was when we went pool hopping. The property has over 40 pools, and we decided to see how many we could hop into on a Saturday afternoon. Well, in the fourth pool, which was warm and quiet, my wife vetoed my ambitions and we spent the rest of the afternoon soaking. The grounds are gorgeous and impeccably kept. We’ll be back for another long weekend soon.

Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful stay. The starlight casita was lovely and we had a pool just downstairs from our unit. The landscaping is lovely and it is worth a stay at this historic and elegant resort. The tennis center and courts are also well done as well.

The only problem we encountered was the first night we heard teenagers in the pool late at night (this can be a problem with a pool close to a unit). I contacted security and they came and kicked them out. The second night we were awakened by noisy adults in the jacuzzi. I called security and they informed them of their loud noise level....both of these situations were from 11:00 pm to midnight. The pools are open 24 hours a day due to the desert climate. This is great, but people need to understand that their voices carry when they are right next to the units.

Other than that, no problems. We will stay in a unit not near a pool to be assured that we can get the quiet we need. Despite this we will be back next year and we will plan accordingly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!