“Beautiful old property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
College Station, Texas
“Beautiful old property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

It is hard to know where to start with this sprawling property about as far from Palm Springs as you can get while still being in the area. The resort is divided into several different sections and is simply beautiful everywhere you go. While they do have valet parking at the main reception area and will take you to your casita via golf cart, you can self park for free near your casita.

While the exact age of each section/building varies, everything is pretty old but well maintained. But because this is an outdoor resort where every room opens outside and is Spanish style, it doesn't feel quite as grand and luxurious as most Waldorf Astoria properties - it is still very nice but luxurious in a different, more relaxed, and charming way.

Each group of casitas is clustered around a pool - each is a little different - size of pool, whether or not chairs are padded, hot tub too, etc. There is also an adults only pool and a main pool with bar, towel service, etc. But it isn't that large and is noisy with lots of kids and families. The casita pools vary in how busy they are, but it isn't hard to find one that suits your mood.

Before you decide on a casita, take a look at the map and determine what you will want to do during your stay. But remember that while the property looks enormous on the map, it is all very walkable if you find yourself needing to frequent somewhere not near your casita.

If you can secure a starlight casita, you won't be sorry - large, private patio with fireplace in addition to your nice room that also has a fireplace. Just remember that some of the patios are more private than others - you may have neighbors who share your stairwell and can see onto your patio as they walk up. The patio was very large and had a nice big comfy couch and dining table.

The bathroom had a tub and shower.

If you are looking for a relaxing place to get away, then La Quinta is a great choice.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

On over 40 acres, this lovely resort is a pleasure. Lush beautiful grounds host casitas, approximately 40 pools, personal homes, the Spa and Fitness Center and gorgeous golf course. Dog friendly property.

Stayed for just two nights for a girls college reunion. Each had separate lovely rooms in casitas all lovingly named with historic Spanish names. I was in San Simeon.

Check-in was a breeze. Bellman told me how to drive to near my room, met me there with his golf cart and guided me in! He unloaded my car into the golf cart and took me and my belongings into my room.

Yes the hotel is older. One of my friends was in an original casita probably dating to the 1930s. Roomy and nice. My casita was newer, maybe from the 1970s. High ceiling, spacious, fireplace, patio. Bath is small and does have mexican tiles - but that is part of the charm of the resort! No tub, just a shower. Tons of towels, Keurig coffee makers - love it. Only complaint is that we brought tons of wine, but all of us forgot a wine opener. There are not wine openers in the rooms. (That was my only recommendation for management. There were beer bottle openers, but not wine!)

I had been to Palm Springs/Palm Desert numerous times but never to this historic resort. One last note - several restaurants on site. First, you really don't need to leave the property. But, the restaurant options give you fine dining, casual patio bistro, Mexican and coffee shop. By the way I live in San Diego and I will be recommending
La Quinta!

Room Tip: If you go with others, try to get rooms fairly close. We were kind of spread out, but the exercise...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate our special day. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The staff was instrumental in making our stay and anniversary very memorable and special. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Yvonne D ,
Congratulations on your anniversary, and thank you for choosing to spend it at La Quinta Resort and Club. It's always wonderful to hear that our team members made you feel welcome and special, which is the hallmark of True Waldorf Service. I appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back whether for another life celebration or a simple desert getaway.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My stay was for 5/3-5/6/2015 for business.

+'s The bed was comfortable and the room spacious. The décor is of a southwest style, I liked the overall feel. Lots of golf courses, shopping and excellent dining in the area. The hotel staff are friendly, polished and want to make your stay as wonderful as possible.

Delta's - Cable box didn't work on arrival and it took a few minutes to figure out that the few channels I could watch were because of the defective cable box. The engineer got to the room after about a 20 minute wait and replaced the box and all was well.

The property covers a large area, so if you're attending functions in different locations in the venue, be ready to walk. Although there seems to be ample signage, I got lost a few times and had to ask for help. No worries, the staff took me to my room and made it a nice process.

A/C was a bit loud and it blew down directly on me when I was in bed. I sleep like a rock so it didn't bother me. When I tried to adjust the fan to a lower setting I discover there were no adjustments except for temperature setting.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and if my wife ever wanted to visit the area, I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: They offer a large variety of rooms. I would suggest doing some homework if you're traveling as...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear 466bryanc,
Thank you for your kind recommendation of La Quinta Resort and Club to the TripAdvisor community. I am so pleased that you found our team members friendly and ready to assist in providing a wonderful stay! For future reference, we recently introduced a new Wayfinding App for the property that is proving very helpful to our guests. We look forward to your return visit whether for another business trip or a relaxing desert escape.
Ridgefield, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Nice overall resort. Guaranteed reservation and arrived after normal check = no room available. When we finally were granted a room (306), the carpet had large wet spot on it. The bathroom is tiny and the shower heads would only make someone under 5' tall comfortable.

The reservation process was a nightmare, with our first reservation canceled. Then we were double charged for having no room. Thank goodness for a reservation supervisor, for she was wonderful. A later confirmation attempted to cancel our reservation, again?????

The property grounds are nicely maintained. The golf courses are very nice, but the clubhouse restaurant to mid-afternoon????

The best part of the property are the restaurants and the restaurant staffs. Both are fantastic. The quality of the food is there, and the service was great! If it was not for this aspect of our trip, I would have provided a lower rating. Please enjoy the restaurants and restaurant staffs; it's worth it.

Room Tip: Forget room 306.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric C ,
Thank you for being our guest and sharing this review with the TripAdvisor community. It is disheartening to read that you experienced problems with the reservation process, but I am pleased to hear that our supervisor was able to readily assist and resolve the issues. I am happy you found the quality and service of our dining establishments to be top notch! We hope you will consider staying with us again, and give us the opportunity to provide you the high level of service for which we are known.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

There is no doubt this is a five star resort. I have no complaints at all. The food, service, room, pools (47) etc are all outstanding. Close to everything. We were there in March to watch tennis. Even the dry desert heat is fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Dave E ,
Thank you for being our guest and sharing your valuable feedback. I am thrilled to hear that you received exceptional True Waldorf service while you were here, and that you enjoyed your guest accommodations, our culinary offerings, and our 41 pools! We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another desert getaway.
denver, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was lucky enough to spend 3 days for work and 3 days of vacation at this wonderful resort. Beautiful surroundings, very pleasant staff and a fun, relaxing atmosphere! Conference rooms and facilities were great for business and the restaurants were quite good.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Kersten L ,
What a pleasure it is to know that you were able to relax so completely at La Quinta Resort and Club after your business conference! There's definitely a lot to do here for those who prefer to be active, and there's also ample opportunity for tranquil rest. Thank you for taking a moment to share this experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to your next visit.
Director of Resort Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!