“Indifference is the best word to describe the experience” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
british columbia
“Indifference is the best word to describe the experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am currently on my last night of a 4 night stay at the La Quinta Resort. The level of service at this property was very substandard. When we arrived at 4:10 pm for what was confirmed as a 3:00 check in , one of our two rooms was not ready. We were told we wold be advised when the room was ready. We did not receive a call and we had to call twice before we were checked in well after 5:00. We ate at all of the on site restaurants and the service was generally unfriendly and impersonal. This was our experience with many of the staff. I am happy to pay for excellent accommodations , service and food. The experience I had at La Quinta Resort is that I over paid for impersonal, unprofessional, and indifferent service.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Point Loma, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Gorgeous grounds with colorful flowers everywhere, love the Spanish colonial theme, great pools to choose from and beautiful rooms! Really enjoy staying in one of their casitas, very comfortable and inviting, it's a wonderful getaway to unwind and relax.

Stayed October 2014
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Andrea L,
Thank you for your high recommendation of La Quinta Resort and Club. I'm so pleased your weekend with us exceeded your expectations and that you found both our property and guest rooms beautiful and inviting! We'll be here when you're ready for another escape to the desert.
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Reader Beware! This is a very long review, but I refuse to cut it down because I truly believe that La Quinta is one of the very finest resorts in the entire U.S. and detailed explanation is required as to the numerous specifics that make it so very special and keep it my top choice amongst several truly fine desert resorts.

When I recently returned to one of my favorite resorts in the world, La Quinta Resort & Hotel in La Quinta, California [no, this is NOT the chain of motor-inns! Get that out of your mind] it took all of about one nano-second for my visual, auditory & olfactory senses to cause me to exclaim, after a 15-year absence: "Oh, my God! It's even better than I remembered!" This ultra-relaxing resort was always my favorite place to spend a long weekend when I would escape from my law & mediation practice in the world's largest & most stressful suburb, Los Angeles, where I lived for 25 years before moving back to the North Shore suburbs of Chicago.

La Quinta is not a huge & tall hotel, but instead it is a series of low [2-story] white stucco w/red tile-roofed buildings called casitas which, along with >40 swimming pools and >50 Jacuzzis tucked between the casitas, are spread over most of the resort's 42-acres of seemingly endless garden. As you sit by a pool or in a garden soaking up the quiet that is accompanied, as in a perfect harmony, by the chirping of happy birds, or walking along paths that are lined by citrus and other flowering trees whose relatively low branches provide wonderful shade canopies, you realize that the presence of all these trees makes the temperatures very comfortable, so that even on rather hot desert afternoons you can be outside without feeling oppressed by the heat, something that is rarely possible at any other desert resort. Just as impressive as all the trees are the perfectly- coiffed flowering hedges and more flower beds than you can imagine, each one bursting with colors that burst with brightness. You'll be asking your travelling companion, or yourself: " Is it just me, or are the colors here brighter than anywhere else?" The answer is: the colors are brighter because the desert air is so very clear!. And, as much as the beauty will enchant you, it all has a calming aspect that contributes to making this Xanadu the ultimate desert oasis. The almost 90 years of its existence has resulted in significant growth of the trees and flowering vines, the bushes and the perfectly-trimmed hedges, and thus one is always surrounded by a wide array of absolutely sublime beauty that goes far beyond the exotic beauty of the date palms and wide variety of cacti. The research I did confirmed what seems obvious, namely that the original design & construction was intended to blend with the desert, not to dominate it, and there are numerous colored tiles, tiled patios and terraces, and gurgling fountains that enhance the tranquility and the seamless partnership with the surrounding desert. Furthermore, while the newer resorts [mostly opened in the mid-late 1980s through the early 1990s during the building boom] are set in the midst of large expanses of open desert, La Quinta is tucked very close to the base of the gorgeous and stark Santa Rosa Mountains. As you sit or lay out at one of the endless swimming pools, or on your huge 2nd-story patio if you are staying in a starlight room [recommended, below] reveling in the silence, and you gaze at the mountains in the near distance, you will see that their colors are constantly changing as the sun moves through the sky, providing you with a show of natural beauty that you never had reason to previously contemplate but that, forever after, will always be a part of you.

Another significant advantage that La Quinta has over the other wonderful desert resorts [such as the Hyatt Grand Champions and the Marriott Desert Springs Resort ] is that those resorts have one very large pool with all the guests competing for a lounge chair that is in one row after another with virtually no space in between, as if you are on the deck of a crowded cruise ship. This is the desert, with endless space, so it seems wrong to be so squeezed when the entire purpose of being at the pool is to really relax. At La Quinta, although there is a main pool, there are so many smaller pools, each in its own private space surrounded by trees and flowers, that every time I have stayed there, my wife/girlfriend & I have enjoyed a pool all to ourselves: literally! NO other people! And we are always just 30-60 seconds away from our room. The pools are mostly standard rectangular shape and are tucked-in amongst and between the buildings, and each is surrounded by so many trees and lush flowers & flowering hedges that you will find yourself smiling endlessly. And each pool provides you with plenty of lounge chairs and also-for those like me who are Type "A" and seem to always be working-there are small tables with comfy chairs so you can sit and get a little work done in the most gorgeous & quiet office imaginable. All the pools are in the sun, but the sitting areas on the pool-decks have areas of sun and also shady areas, so if you do not want to be sunbathing as you sit or lay on a lounge, you can either sit or lay in shade that is at least 8-10 degrees cooler than just a few feet away in the sun. And, because the shade you seek at poolside is provided underneath mature trees with large spreading thick canopies of leafy branches, you will have that shade in that spot virtually all day. By contrast, when you are at the large, crowded swimming pool at a major resort, in addition to needing to get there by mid-morning or else risk not being able to get a chair, if you are wanting shade, I wish you luck, because even if you find a sliver it will be under a few swaying palm-fronds that, being 20-30 feet overhead, assure that the bit of shade is constantly moving with the sun's movement, so it is quite annoying when every ten minutes you must move your chair a few feet to keep in the shade. That is hardly consistent with a relaxing experience, but it is a reality that few people consider until they are sweating profusely. There is none of this silliness at La Quinta. Take your time enjoying a late breakfast, for you need not get to "the pool" quickly, or choose to confine your pool-time to the later afternoon if you like: you will always find a quiet pool with nothing but emptiness and ample chairs [with a real table at which you can spread-out your work] and loungers to greet you- and as much sun or shade as you could possibly desire. Furthermore, do not think that because you and your companion are sitting alone at a swimming pool means that you cannot get good service. Just dial on you cell and in a few minutes a super-friendly member of the staff will be by your side with a food & drink menu and you will get what you order in less time than you would have assumed, less than half the time it takes at the large resorts.

Speaking of food, I enjoy the dining experience at La Quinta more than at any of the other resorts. First, there are simply more choices, namely 4 choices for breakfast, 6 choices for lunch and 4 choices for dinner, and the quality is first-rate, with the presentation always impeccable. I've never had a meal that did not have us talking about how good it was. Several restaurants have terrace/patio dining that makes enjoying the evening air and aroma of the surrounding flowers a truly wonderful dining experience that you will always remember and long to enjoy again as soon as possible.

Finally, as discussed, below, another primary aspect that catapults La Quinta to the pinnacle of the Palm springs-area desert resorts is the wide variety of room choices, whether in terms of the class/size or room/suite and/or the location. I strongly recommend that, if this is to be your first visit [which means it will be your first of many visits] you talk to someone who has stayed there or, if that is not possible, review Trip Adviser's recommendations from multiple persons who have stayed there. either way, look at a map of the property and consult it as you review photos of the different rooms. When you are spending a lot of money, you should be getting a room that fits your desires. That this involves some time should be seen as a good thing, because most resorts only give you very few choices, so take advantage of the wide array of room/suite choices here by carefully selecting that which will most likely fit your desires.

I'm sorry this review has been so long. It was not planned to be, but I write from the heart and based upon my photographic memory, and this is such a wonderful resort that I could have described much more about what makes it the quintessential desert oasis experience. The beautiful natural setting and impeccable architecture & landscaping provide a perfect framework for a truly wonderful resort experience wherein your senses are at once soothed and brought to life. Oh, how I wish I was there right now with my wonderful fiancée!

Room Tip: I cannot afford a suite, but the STARLIGHT CASITAS ROOMS are the best of the "regular" roo...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear mediatordave ,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of La Quinta Resort and Club and sharing this beautifully detailed account of your recent stay with the TripAdvisor community. We feel it is a special honor when our guests refer to La Quinta Resort as the "ultimate desert oasis" as all of our team members, from gardeners to resort managers, take great strides in providing the authentic and inspirational environment that is La Quinta Resort and Club. Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us the opportunity to serve you. We'll await your next visit with anticipation!
San Diego, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The La Quinta Hotel needs a major face lift as it is very tired around the edges. The pools are tired and patched, the rooms themselves need work. The bathrooms are very outdated to the point of plastic shower curtains like a Holiday Inn. Terrible value at over $500.00 per night. Classic hotel in need of further updates. Internet never did work...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Just wanted to thank manager Jonathan for making our reservation perfect. We stay at least 4 times a year and had a slight issue but Jonathan made everything right. Thanks for having someone like him make us feel welcome again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Danny S,
Thank you for being a frequent guest of La Quinta Resort and Club. I am so pleased that you find us warm and welcoming. Our team members strive to provide each and every guest with True Waldorf Service, and I will certainly pass along your compliments to Jonathan. We'll be looking forward to your next visit!
Los Angeles, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you like to here the buzz of the grounds keeper working and do not care about reliable internet this is the place for you. The food on the other hand is great and the place looks very nice but that is not enough for me to stay again. In the future I will stay at the Willows.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Jorge H,
Thank you for being our guest and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our cuisine and found our property beautiful and well manicured. We hope you will consider staying with us again, allowing us to provide you with the relaxing stay you most certainly deserve.
Kindly-
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Awesome Suite that was separate from the rest. Property is authentic adobe feel and the high quality food and service make this a winner in my book. Often you try for the cheap version. If you every should spend an extra few bucks it is for quality like La Quinta. I did have an issue with the pool not being kid friendly.. My son is 18 with a beard and they did not allow him or anyone under 21 in the main pool area. It would have been fine, but all the other pools are small.... I would like a large family pool for a resort this size and class to offer food and drinks to families.. Bring your own snacks and beverages.. The store is convenient, but expensive. Best value was the breakfast at Twenty 6 and the strawberry smoothy at the market. I am looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Awesome "Casitas San Mateo" that are stand alone units.... It was very relaxing and privat...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Coverts,
Thank you for being a guest at La Quinta Resort and Club. I am so pleased you enjoyed staying with us and received True Waldorf Service from our team members! When you return, be sure to check out our large, family pool near the tennis center as I believe it will fit your family's needs perfectly. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.
Director of Resort Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!