“Great older hotel with charm” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great older hotel with charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked a package for Coachella and had a great time. The location and shuttles are perfect for going to the concerts. The hotel is old but our room had been updated and we loved the feel of the resort. Lots of small, independent units and pools. There is a great charm to it. We only ate breakfast there but it was great. We used the coffee shop/snack shop too. The staff was always kind and helpful. The 21and over pool was a little too chaotic - not enough chairs or staff helping there but it is a crazy weekend. We went to the smaller pool by our room the second day and it was relaxing. We played tennis and the facility seemed very nice. We would love to come back.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What an awesome resort! My fiance' won the trip through his job so there were many industry-related folks there part of the same trip. From the moment we stepped off the shuttle we were greated immediately by giant smiles and a friendly, warm welcome. We were told precisely which direction to go to register, told to come back to that spot & somone would take us to our room with our bags which is exactly what happened. The service could not have possibly been any better. Tug, who was at the lobby door every day, was really wonderful. Full of information, answered all our questions, took care of any need we had immediately and he was very funny! Peggy at the concierge was a true gem! Very helpful, an absolute pleasure to deal with and also answered all of our questions with a smile. She recommended a really terrific winery, whose wine club we ended up joining since their selections were all so good. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. Unfortunately it was pouring rain during our stop-over in Dallas and our bag was soaked leaving almost all of our clothes wet. I called the desk after we got to our room and they brought me a TON of hangers. I had to call twice, but they did end up coming through! Our room was made up every day by 2:00, the bed was VERY comfortable. We got up every morning and had coffee on our porch and watched the hummingbirds. I called the desk for extra coffee creamers and they were delivered within minutes. The only sketchy service we had was one night, at dinner, at Twenty6, our waitress was a little less than responsive and took a while to get to us at times, but that was the only issue. All other service at the restaurants and throughout the resort was fantastic and the food was delicious at all restaurants. The BEST was the spa. I had an 11am massage scheduled while my fiance' played golf. I arrived an hour early to meet Glynes (sp?) in the women's locker room. She gave me a robe, slippers and showed me around. It is a beautiful spa! I lounged outside until Juana came and got me for my massage which was AMAZING. Afterwards, I enjoyed the steam room, took a nice shower which has everything you could possibly need available. Glynes even brought mouse for my hair and ordered lunch for me! I spent another 2 hours outside relaxing, eating my lunch and reading. It was a truly relaxing afternoon. I really can't say enough about this resort. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 408, directly across from 21 & older Plunge pool and it was the perfect location...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This place is old and looks tired, however there is this feeling of "old money" associated with it. Place was renovated but still, doors didn't close right, showers knobs not adjusted correctly, etc. but if you overlook the so so repairs, the place is very pleasant, there are swimming pools all over the site, nice landscaping, good restaurant, nice tennis courts and most of all, very friendly staffs.
Checking in and out took a long time, only two staffs on duty, line was long but no one seem to mind.
We go there annually to watch the Indian Well tennis tournament and play tennis (lighted courts are free after 7pm). Tom Gorman is the head pro there if you want to take a lesson and talk about old times. The station court is a fun place to be as the tournament players practices there, there was Djokovic before then the Bryan brothers this year.

Room Tip: Rooms next to Washington street can be noisy
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear john l,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of La Quinta Resort and Club. I am so pleased to hear you continue to enjoy your stays with us year after year for the BNP Paribas Open and will be sure to pass along your kind remarks regarding our friendly team members. I appreciate your thoughtful feedback and look forward to welcoming you back next March!
Best regards-
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am part of a group of tennis friends that love heading to LaQuinta every March and attending the BNP Paribas tennis tournament. We play tennis at the resort every morning before we head out to the day and night session. I always leave my long weekend with some great pointers from Tom Gorman and his pros that get me ready for my USTA season when I get home!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Debbie F ,
I'm very glad to hear you and your tennis group enjoyed your time at La Quinta Resort and Club during the BNP Paribas Open. Tom Gorman and his staff of USPTA-certified professionals offer instruction for players of every level, and it's a pleasure to hear you leave with some great pointers! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. I do hope we'll have the privilege of welcoming you and your friends back again.
Fallbrook, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Nice hotel, but I had to call them to get our room made up, and that didn't happen until 515pm..a bit annoying, to say the least. My mom, who is disabled, appreciated the spacious accessible room. A small ramp over the door threshold would have made it easier to wheel my mom into our room..it was tough getting over that, and mom only weighs 90 pounds.i have to say all of the hotel staff were very nice and wanted to be helpful.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Qnance,
Thank you for taking the time to review La Quinta Resort and Club. I appreciate your kind words regarding our beautiful landscape and exquisite dining at Morgan's. We are always striving to improve our service, so I thank you for the feedback regarding your housekeeping service. I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can ensure your future visit outshines this most recent one.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

3.5 stars in my book

I stayed at La Quinta Resort over Spring Break, and have a generally good impression of the place.

My main complaint is that there is not enough infrastructure to support the needs of the customers when the resort is full. I do have to agree with other reviews stating that the service is not up to par with the Waldorf Astoria brand – see below.

They have golf carts to take your luggage and show you to your room after checking. I highly recommend using this service as the resort is rather sprawling and can be confusing to get around that very first time. Excellent service from the bell staff.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful with blooming flowers and trees. Very well manicured.
The casitas are pretty roomy, with large flat screens, above average bathrooms (big showers and soaking tub) and all have a lounge outside where you can enjoy some company or just people watch. Housekeeping was very responsive to requests and cleaned the room promptly when we stepped out for breakfast.

Here is where the first flaw showed itself. The resort contains 800 guest rooms, and there is exactly one place to get a morning espresso. The line was ridiculously long – around 30 people from the counter all the way out the door. Some of the restaurants offered drip coffee but none were able to make us espresso in the morning.

LQ touts the 42 pools on site, but be aware that all but a couple are the simple rectangles that you would expect at any condo. There is one “resort” pool, and the chairs were covered in towels by 7:30 AM. No people mind you, just towels. They were routinely ignored and tossed aside making for some interesting confrontations. This was the only pool to offer towels – all 41 other pools made you bring towels from your room. When we asked for towels to take from the main pool we were told there were not enough.

I played the Mountain golf course and would rate is as only OK. Lots of ground under repair, no GPS in the carts, and precious few fairway markers.

Dining was mediocre at Adobe Grill and Twenty 6.

Check out was strange. No option to check out using the TV in the room, so I went to the front desk at 11:00 where there was a mass of people checking IN. Turns out there was a wedding on site so hopefully this is not the norm. I wound up letting the concierge know that we were leaving and she took care of things for me.

All in all it was a nice place to stay, just keep in mind that it has some flaws and be prepared to deal with them.
1. Only 2 people on staff to check in a looooong line of customers.
2. No espresso drinks aside from the coffee shop – they should really put in a few carts around the campus.
3. No towels at any of the “neighborhood pools” despite the $27 resort fee
4. There is a mini fridge with ice maker in the room but the ice maker is not connected to any water supply, so does not produce ice.
5. When I asked resort staff about an ice machine they said they don’t have them. When I finally found the machine it was in very bad shape with broken plastic that looked infectious.
6. If you like to sleep in, beware that the beautiful grounds come at a price – the ground crew was working with power tools right outside the casita at 9:00 AM.
7. It was Spring Break, so I wasn’t shocked at the huge number of kids, but do expect them all to be riding scooters or bikes unsupervised at high rates of speed through areas clearly marked “no scooters or bikes”

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Zack_in_CA ,
Thank you for being a guest at La Quinta Resort and Club and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community of travelers. I am disappointed to hear that even one aspect of your stay did not exceed your expectations. I apologize that our service did not consistently meet this standard. I hope you will consider staying with us again, and give us the opportunity to provide you the high level of service for which we are known.
Kindly,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Booked a package via VMT which included King room (in the 700's area) in a courtyard area with two large pools steeps from the door. Staff very friendly and helpful, clean and comfortable room with new flatscreen and cable, empty mini bar fridge with ice maker, and large bathroom. The rooms are dated from times past and could use an update although everything was in working order. The quality of the food and beverage offering both inroom and at the sit-down restaurants was just ok. Coffee shop coffee confirmed not good starbucks a few blocks away (maybe they should open one on property). During coachella this hotel is packed and if you don't want to hear loud bass music from the min pool party its a good idea to stay on the east side of the property which is made up of small quiet pools. Security, front desk, shuttle staff all excellent and helpful quickly came to the rescue when I was locked out of a room the property is massive. I would also suggest bringing one roll of your preferred toilet paper as the one in ours was very scratchy and hard on the bottom! Best location for coachella only 10 min shuttle ride anytime.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Rick S ,
Thank you for being our guest. I am pleased to hear you found La Quinta Resort and Club a prime location during your stay for Coachella. We promise our guests a singular Waldorf luxury experience, and we will use your feedback to ensure that we are continually working to achieve that ideal. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Director of Resort Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!