You added La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“Old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This place is old and looks tired, however there is this feeling of "old money" associated with it. Place was renovated but still, doors didn't close right, showers knobs not adjusted correctly, etc. but if you overlook the so so repairs, the place is very pleasant, there are swimming pools all over the site, nice landscaping, good restaurant, nice tennis courts and most of all, very friendly staffs.
Checking in and out took a long time, only two staffs on duty, line was long but no one seem to mind.
We go there annually to watch the Indian Well tennis tournament and play tennis (lighted courts are free after 7pm). Tom Gorman is the head pro there if you want to take a lesson and talk about old times. The station court is a fun place to be as the tournament players practices there, there was Djokovic before then the Bryan brothers this year.

Room Tip: Rooms next to Washington street can be noisy
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am part of a group of tennis friends that love heading to LaQuinta every March and attending the BNP Paribas tennis tournament. We play tennis at the resort every morning before we head out to the day and night session. I always leave my long weekend with some great pointers from Tom Gorman and his pros that get me ready for my USTA season when I get home!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Debbie F ,
I'm very glad to hear you and your tennis group enjoyed your time at La Quinta Resort and Club during the BNP Paribas Open. Tom Gorman and his staff of USPTA-certified professionals offer instruction for players of every level, and it's a pleasure to hear you leave with some great pointers! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. I do hope we'll have the privilege of welcoming you and your friends back again.
Fallbrook, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Nice hotel, but I had to call them to get our room made up, and that didn't happen until 515pm..a bit annoying, to say the least. My mom, who is disabled, appreciated the spacious accessible room. A small ramp over the door threshold would have made it easier to wheel my mom into our room..it was tough getting over that, and mom only weighs 90 pounds.i have to say all of the hotel staff were very nice and wanted to be helpful.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Qnance,
Thank you for taking the time to review La Quinta Resort and Club. I appreciate your kind words regarding our beautiful landscape and exquisite dining at Morgan's. We are always striving to improve our service, so I thank you for the feedback regarding your housekeeping service. I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can ensure your future visit outshines this most recent one.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

3.5 stars in my book

I stayed at La Quinta Resort over Spring Break, and have a generally good impression of the place.

My main complaint is that there is not enough infrastructure to support the needs of the customers when the resort is full. I do have to agree with other reviews stating that the service is not up to par with the Waldorf Astoria brand – see below.

They have golf carts to take your luggage and show you to your room after checking. I highly recommend using this service as the resort is rather sprawling and can be confusing to get around that very first time. Excellent service from the bell staff.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful with blooming flowers and trees. Very well manicured.
The casitas are pretty roomy, with large flat screens, above average bathrooms (big showers and soaking tub) and all have a lounge outside where you can enjoy some company or just people watch. Housekeeping was very responsive to requests and cleaned the room promptly when we stepped out for breakfast.

Here is where the first flaw showed itself. The resort contains 800 guest rooms, and there is exactly one place to get a morning espresso. The line was ridiculously long – around 30 people from the counter all the way out the door. Some of the restaurants offered drip coffee but none were able to make us espresso in the morning.

LQ touts the 42 pools on site, but be aware that all but a couple are the simple rectangles that you would expect at any condo. There is one “resort” pool, and the chairs were covered in towels by 7:30 AM. No people mind you, just towels. They were routinely ignored and tossed aside making for some interesting confrontations. This was the only pool to offer towels – all 41 other pools made you bring towels from your room. When we asked for towels to take from the main pool we were told there were not enough.

I played the Mountain golf course and would rate is as only OK. Lots of ground under repair, no GPS in the carts, and precious few fairway markers.

Dining was mediocre at Adobe Grill and Twenty 6.

Check out was strange. No option to check out using the TV in the room, so I went to the front desk at 11:00 where there was a mass of people checking IN. Turns out there was a wedding on site so hopefully this is not the norm. I wound up letting the concierge know that we were leaving and she took care of things for me.

All in all it was a nice place to stay, just keep in mind that it has some flaws and be prepared to deal with them.
1. Only 2 people on staff to check in a looooong line of customers.
2. No espresso drinks aside from the coffee shop – they should really put in a few carts around the campus.
3. No towels at any of the “neighborhood pools” despite the $27 resort fee
4. There is a mini fridge with ice maker in the room but the ice maker is not connected to any water supply, so does not produce ice.
5. When I asked resort staff about an ice machine they said they don’t have them. When I finally found the machine it was in very bad shape with broken plastic that looked infectious.
6. If you like to sleep in, beware that the beautiful grounds come at a price – the ground crew was working with power tools right outside the casita at 9:00 AM.
7. It was Spring Break, so I wasn’t shocked at the huge number of kids, but do expect them all to be riding scooters or bikes unsupervised at high rates of speed through areas clearly marked “no scooters or bikes”

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Zack_in_CA ,
Thank you for being a guest at La Quinta Resort and Club and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community of travelers. I am disappointed to hear that even one aspect of your stay did not exceed your expectations. I apologize that our service did not consistently meet this standard. I hope you will consider staying with us again, and give us the opportunity to provide you the high level of service for which we are known.
Kindly,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Booked a package via VMT which included King room (in the 700's area) in a courtyard area with two large pools steeps from the door. Staff very friendly and helpful, clean and comfortable room with new flatscreen and cable, empty mini bar fridge with ice maker, and large bathroom. The rooms are dated from times past and could use an update although everything was in working order. The quality of the food and beverage offering both inroom and at the sit-down restaurants was just ok. Coffee shop coffee confirmed not good starbucks a few blocks away (maybe they should open one on property). During coachella this hotel is packed and if you don't want to hear loud bass music from the min pool party its a good idea to stay on the east side of the property which is made up of small quiet pools. Security, front desk, shuttle staff all excellent and helpful quickly came to the rescue when I was locked out of a room the property is massive. I would also suggest bringing one roll of your preferred toilet paper as the one in ours was very scratchy and hard on the bottom! Best location for coachella only 10 min shuttle ride anytime.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Rick S ,
Thank you for being our guest. I am pleased to hear you found La Quinta Resort and Club a prime location during your stay for Coachella. We promise our guests a singular Waldorf luxury experience, and we will use your feedback to ensure that we are continually working to achieve that ideal. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We arrived Thursday afternoon to be greeted by the very helpful valet guys-best people on staff at the LQR . Check in is at 4 .We went over spring break so yes-it was VERY busy.We waited in line for about 30 minutes-only 2 people on staff at the desk.Once at the desk we were "helped" by a nice but totally unprofessional,inexperienced person.We were then informed (after she looked dumfounded at a computer for 10 minutes-I am not kidding) that our accommodations would not be available for a while.They would call us.On our cell.OK.
We left the resort,drove to Bristol Farms to get some food&beverages and came back to the hotel.It's now 2 hours later.We finally get our keys after speaking to a few folks and follow the golf cart bellman to our casita.
It's a cute 1 bedroom 2 bath casita with kitchen.Tile floors,decorated with some Mexican tile,pottery & some art pieces.The bathrooms were not very clean and it had no welcoming notes or fruit or water like most high end resorts would give you.Nothing special here.There is supposedly WIFI but we never got it and the staff we spoke with couldn't care less.
Our casita was ground floor and above us was another one.A lot of screaming and fighting most nights as well as the bonus of stomping up and down the stairs.But at least the pool (there are 41 !) was outside our casita backdoor . We don't have kids but if you do have kids this is THE place for them.It's pretty much about the kids.Lot's of activities and golf carts and screaming. MARCO....P O L O !!!!!! at 7 AM. I can hear it now..."Hey kids ?Mommy & I wanna have our "special nap time" so why don't you go out to the pool ?"
Let's talk about fine dining or lack thereof.The room service sucked.Terrible food,no care AT ALL went into it on any level.The restaurants were so under average,I was kinda shocked. The Mexican restaurant made Baja Fresh seem gourmet.Staff was pleasant but the quality,presentation and freshness were absent.
The groundskeepers&gardeners get 5 stars -the trees,plants&flowers here are gorgeous.
We have stayed here a few times-the place has lost it's star quality.Once we checked in we felt abandoned-like no one cared about service or enjoyment.Too bad.Not worth the price of admission.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear WeRTrippin,
I am so disappointed to hear about your experience at our resort. We deeply regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your stay. I will make sure the related departments receive your review and discuss ways to best handle similar situations moving forward. I appreciate your candor and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for the seamless, relaxing experience you deserve.
Kindly,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed 4 nights, 3 as part of our Coachella package.

It's a huge resort but because it sectioned off with lots of pool areas it feels quite small.

There are not many eating/bar facilities for a such a big resort. Coffee is terrible, on the last morning we went and got Starbucks. Even that was better.

Rooms are simple yet clean. Our towel situation was a bit odd. Some days we'd get 3, some 2. We started with 4. The tea/coffee machine is completely inconvenient.

It was okay for our purposes but I don't think it is worth the money (that's rating it on the one night we paid outside our package).

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Anne-Edith C, Manager at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear nessams ,
Thank you for being a guest at La Quinta Resort and Club. It's disappointing to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future so we can ensure that visit outshines this most recent one.
Kindly-
Director of Resort Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!