La Quinta has a reputation as a top notch resort, but our experience could best be charactorized as sometimes great and merely average at other times. We were meeting another couple at the resort, and they checked in first. Before we arrived, I heard from them that despite having made the reservation more than six months ago, there were unable to get their requested king size bed. We also had asked that our rooms be close in proximity, as the resort is huge, and that detail had also been missed.
Our check in was fine, but when we got to the room, I was underwhelmed. It looked unrenovated, and like a room that had last been updated in the 1950's. The bathroom was large, but again, not elegant or luxurious We saw a condo on the property that was for sale, and it was beautiful, and I assume that there are far nicer rooms available than what our friends and we were given. We'd have willingly upgraded if given the option, but when making our reservation, we had no idea that we'd be in a retro room.
What does make La Quinta special are the grounds and some of the staff. The property is lush, manicured, and beautiful, and the property is huge, at over 40 acres. The tennis courts are great, and that was another highlight of our stay. Worth special note are two of the on-site restaurants - Twenty6 and Morgans. The staff at Twenty6 was amazing - definitely the best trained and most customer service oriented peoplestaff that we encountered on the whole property. Morgans is the on-site fine dining restaurant, and we had an excellent meal.
My advice for travelers:
1. Ask for a renovated room or one of the newer condo units
2. Most rooms are in one story buildings scattered around a series of 40 swimming pools. Avoid a first floor room with a second floor room above. Our friends said that it sounded like a herd of elephants above them.
3. Make reservations for tennis and for Morgans well in advance during peak season.
4. Don't be surprised when the front desk staff seems busy or disinterested. When we asked for a late check out, we were turned down flat.
5. Be prepared to walk. If mobility is an issue, ask for a room close to the lobby/restaurant area
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA WEST® is a world-renowned Southern California desert retreat featuring 796 elegantly appointed casitas, suites and villas; the 23,000-square-foot Spa La Quinta® with 41 pools and 53 hot spas; 41 tennis courts; over 100,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and banquet facilities; and exceptional cuisine at Morgan’s in the desert, TWENTY6 and Adobe Grill. Known as The Western Home of Golf in America® and named ”North America’s Golf Resort of the Year,” it is home to five award-winning golf courses and four private courses – designed by legends Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Pete Dye, Greg Norman and Tom Weiskopf. Golf instruction is offered at the PGA WEST Golf Academy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Resort & Club Hotel La Quinta
- La Quinta Resort And Club
- La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Greater Palm Springs