We have stayed at La Quinta numerous times over the past 10+ years and since they just did some renovations and we checked them out it's time for a review! La Quinta is very large with over 20 pools. Buildings are grouped around the pools with around 20 rooms sharing a pool/jacuzzi. With this set up it's always possible to get a chair and an umbrella, sometimes if a large group is at a certain pool you may want to go to the next pool over which is no big deal. Poolside rooms are literally steps from the pool. Others may be on the back of the building and some parts of the hotel have larger fenced pools and grass between the building and the pool. Personally, the poolside Casita is the way to go if you're going to hang by the pool. There is also a large main pool. It can be VERY crowded during holiday weeks and especially spring break. The kids love it though and there is no bar or restaurant at the smaller pools. You can have your own cooler and order room service though and that's what we do!
The rooms have recently been upgraded. This basically means new carpet and drapes, new bedding. Bathrooms are the same but they were already cool with the old mexican style tile that you see throughout the resort. Some buildings have two floors and if you are down stairs from someone active you can definitely hear it! The rooms are comfortable, fairly large and attractive. Bathrooms are large, nice towels, etc. Pool towels are pretty skimpy to be honest.
The resort itself is all Santa Barbara style and very well done. Be prepared to walk, it's quite spread out, our kids usually bring a razor or skateboard and so does everyone else. It is a very family friendly resort so there are frequently large family and friend groups with kids, etc. so while it is basically quiet, there is a fair amount of activity. It is a great place for an event with a large group as you can get your rooms around the same pool and have it to yourself, make your own drinks and even have a meal as there are outdoor tables at most of the pool areas.
The area near the front entrance is where the restaurants, shops, etc. are located and it's always pretty hopping around there. In the evenings the terrace serves margaritas and other drinks, frequently has a live band and people up and dancing. Morgan's restaurant has a patio with a fireplace and a very beautiful interior. The food there is fantastic, pretty pricey however. The mexican restaurant is also tasty and fun. I have only eaten breakfast at the third restaurant (can't recall the name) but it's a great breakfast too and there is also a coffee shop with pastries, bagels, and the usual basics.
I did not visit the gym on my last visit so it may be remodeled. Previously it was large, had a lot of bikes, treadmills and cardio equipment but was cramped and not always adequately air conditioned but otherwise perfectly usable, at least for me.
One downside of La Quinta Resort is that it is a bit away from some of the popular restaurants, the Riverwalk, etc. You need to drive to go pretty much anywhere off property. We usually come out for one to three days and mostly stay at the resort. All in all, it's my favorite of the Palm Desert properties though I have not been to the new Ritz.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA WEST® is a world-renowned Southern California desert retreat featuring 796 elegantly appointed casitas, suites and villas; the 23,000-square-foot Spa La Quinta® with 41 pools and 53 hot spas; 41 tennis courts; over 100,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and banquet facilities; and exceptional cuisine at Morgan’s in the desert, TWENTY6 and Adobe Grill. Known as The Western Home of Golf in America® and named ”North America’s Golf Resort of the Year,” it is home to five award-winning golf courses and four private courses – designed by legends Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Pete Dye, Greg Norman and Tom Weiskopf. Golf instruction is offered at the PGA WEST Golf Academy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Resort & Club Hotel La Quinta
- La Quinta Resort And Club
- La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Greater Palm Springs