“Terrible Service - Great location and pretty grounds” 2 of 5 stars

You added La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
“Terrible Service - Great location and pretty grounds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

3.5 hour checkin experience including occupied room, failed promises and no apologies.

Arrived at noon on a Friday with a line for check-in (to be expected with two conferences for the weekend).
We confirmed our reservation as a Starlight room with the Receptionist and left our number with the reception (they promised to call us when a room was ready).
1.5h later with no calls we decided to call the front desk for an update.
We were told we could get the keys to a Starlight room... the room was great, but another guest was occupying the room.
We informed the front desk and they told us they would rush a room for us (no apology).
45min later we called the front desk again (no call received) and were informed they didn't have any starlight rooms and none in the area our friends were staying at.
30min later they gave us a tiny room next to a service room, which had paint falling down the walls.
We rejected the room and asked for a different room.
While waiting another 30min we saw several guests moving their luggage into rooms in the area we had requested earlier (not really sure how that is possible as the front desk had said none were available).
Finally a friendly staff arranged transport to the 3rd room of the day and when he saw the room we had been given he said; I wouldn't want to stay there either.
Total checkin time was about 3.5 hours with a dysfunctional and unapologetic front desk.
Rest of the stay was smooth, but with minimal interaction with the non-existing service.
If we hadn't been a part of a conference we would have canceled and found a better place.
Certainly not the standards of service you would expect at a Waldorf Astoria.
Everyone makes mistakes, but this many and without an apology?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Jensks,

I'm deeply sorry that you had such a difficult time at check-in, and that you felt such disregard from our team members. We hold high standards for ourselves and we clearly fell far short in this instance. I do appreciate your taking the time to write such an honest review, because it allows us the opportunity to address this situation in team training. If you attend another conference at La Quinta Resort--or if you come for any reason at all--I invite you to contact me directly so I can ensure your next visit goes smoothly, from start to finish.

1,675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Studio City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The staff was extremely friendly. It was a sold-out weekend and our room was still upgraded. It's absolutely beautiful, and the staff is eager to do whatever they can to improve the whole of your stay. I definitely recommend this destination to relax and unwind.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Samantha H,

Thank you for recommending La Quinta Resort to the TripAdvisor community! It's especially great to know that you found our team members so helpful and friendly. We look forward to seeing you in the future, when you'r ready to relax and unwind with us again.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am not sure how this property received a Waldorf rating. The rooms remind me of a roadside stop- Motel 6 or Best Western. The grounds are great. Service is ok. Food at restaurants is ok. I was here a few years ago and was wowed , but I guess it was because I stayed in one of the the only 4 Exec suites. The rooms need major updating and the service is sub par. And talked to the front desk about the mold and musty smell in the room. The response was they are all like that except for the rooms that were in the building that caught on fire. So those have been redone.
So if you stay there, ask for the fire building that has been redone to avoid the moldy smell.
And you will be able to hear your neighbors conversation on the phone in the morning as well as their wake up call. There is very poor sound insulation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear marlamehta,

Thank you for taking some time to write a review of your stay at La Quinta Resort. I'm disappointed that you found the service underwhelming. We want every guest's experience to be amazing, from start to finish, and clearly we failed during your visit. I apologize for that, and hope that this one experience will not completely cloud your opinion of the resort. In fact, I hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future, and when you do, please contact me so I can make sure your next visit outshines the first.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We came to Palm Springs to get married and the staff at La Quinta was most accommodating. They recommended a minister and handled our small reception. Everything went on without a hitch. Our room, in one of have Casitas was lovely, the bed was super comfortable and the bedding soft and comfy. The grounds are stunning - flowers everywhere and everything is clean, clean, clean. Service was friendly and attentive wherever we went. We ate at all 3 of the restaurants and the food was quite good. The spa was delightful (though I wish it had a food option). I had my best massage ever!

As others have noted the internet is spotty everywhere but in the main lobby. I suspect that has as much to do with the location and the ring of mountains. Once the weekend arrived so did the families with children and we too had to avoid crazed kids on scooters. We retreated to the adults only pool! The place is very dog friendly - a nice plus in our eyes, but be forewarned if you have a dog phobia.

I know we will be back! Our stay was delightful and relaxing,

Room Tip: If you want quiet request a room that does not overlook one of the many pools or small putting green...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear LibraryLady106,

First off, congratulations on your wedding! We're always grateful for the opportunity to help our guests celebrate momentous occasions, and I'm pleased to hear that your special day was everything you'd hoped it would be. I'm especially glad that you experienced True Waldorf Service from our team members throughout your stay. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future, perhaps for your anniversary!

Denver, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at La Quinta resort in March. The first room we were given was a lockout. Cracked sink, dirty carpet, worn and beaten. The next day I asked for another room and was given a room facing the main pool. The icemaker did not work even after two calls and attempts to fix it. The room looked like it had been host to a bad frat party. Glass broken out of the chandelier, Bent sink faucet, light bulbs missing, pipe dripping into shower. The bright spots are the beautiful gardens, numerous small swimming pools and hot tubs, the plaza, and the outdoor dining areas. The food in the fine dining restaurant was excellent as was the service. The remainder of the food was adequate. So sad to see the maintenance here dragging the hotel down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Deborah L ,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed all the public spaces at La Quinta Resort despite your disappointment with your room. It's always great to be able to tell Chef Jimmy Schmidt when guests recommend Morgan's in the desert, and I'll be sure to let him know you enjoyed your meal there. I do hope you'll come back and visit us again in the future, and that you'll let us know at that time how we're doing.

Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Tom Gorman is an incredible asset to the resort; he's the reason we continue to return to La Quinta.

Simply put, we can go anywhere, but we are just driven by Tom Gorman’s excellent tennis program. He is amazing and continues to make our family reunions (10+ siblings/spouses) a great success.

Room Tip: Casita with private pool is second to none; especially with a large family.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cass65ShermanOaks_CA ,

I couldn't agree more about Tom Gorman and his fantastic team. Thank you so much for taking a moment to let us and the TripAdvisor community know how much you've enjoyed your vists here. We appreciate your loyalty to Tom and La Quinta Resort, and will be looking forward to your next family reunion.

Yucaipa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I usually love this resort, but this time we stay in a casita with a private patio. The sheets felt like sand paper and we were right by a gate and the door would slam and that kept us up till 2am. But the sheets I couldn't not sleep. I went check out and we let them know about the sheets and gate. The response was that's has never a problem, I we were lying. And we stay here a couple times a year. Now we won't stay there because of the customer service. If you ant to eat I would suggest stay nearby and go eat at the Twenty6 for breakfast or lunch/dinner they would I'd great and service is great. I will always go to this restaurant it's our favorite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oreray ,

Thank you for your heartfelt recommendation of TWENTY6, although I do wish you had better news about your stay to go with it. I want to apologize that you felt disregarded during your checkout experience. That definitely does not represent the True Waldorf Service we strive to provide, and needless to say we want each guest to feel respected and valued. I hope that on the strength of your prior visits you'll allow us the opportunity to earn back your business. And please do let me know if there's any way I can assist.

Director of Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!