“Grounds are great, maybe you can sleep outside” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Chicago, Illinois
“Grounds are great, maybe you can sleep outside”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am not sure how this property received a Waldorf rating. The rooms remind me of a roadside stop- Motel 6 or Best Western. The grounds are great. Service is ok. Food at restaurants is ok. I was here a few years ago and was wowed , but I guess it was because I stayed in one of the the only 4 Exec suites. The rooms need major updating and the service is sub par. And talked to the front desk about the mold and musty smell in the room. The response was they are all like that except for the rooms that were in the building that caught on fire. So those have been redone.
So if you stay there, ask for the fire building that has been redone to avoid the moldy smell.
And you will be able to hear your neighbors conversation on the phone in the morning as well as their wake up call. There is very poor sound insulation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear marlamehta,

Thank you for taking some time to write a review of your stay at La Quinta Resort. I'm disappointed that you found the service underwhelming. We want every guest's experience to be amazing, from start to finish, and clearly we failed during your visit. I apologize for that, and hope that this one experience will not completely cloud your opinion of the resort. In fact, I hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future, and when you do, please contact me so I can make sure your next visit outshines the first.

1,696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We came to Palm Springs to get married and the staff at La Quinta was most accommodating. They recommended a minister and handled our small reception. Everything went on without a hitch. Our room, in one of have Casitas was lovely, the bed was super comfortable and the bedding soft and comfy. The grounds are stunning - flowers everywhere and everything is clean, clean, clean. Service was friendly and attentive wherever we went. We ate at all 3 of the restaurants and the food was quite good. The spa was delightful (though I wish it had a food option). I had my best massage ever!

As others have noted the internet is spotty everywhere but in the main lobby. I suspect that has as much to do with the location and the ring of mountains. Once the weekend arrived so did the families with children and we too had to avoid crazed kids on scooters. We retreated to the adults only pool! The place is very dog friendly - a nice plus in our eyes, but be forewarned if you have a dog phobia.

I know we will be back! Our stay was delightful and relaxing,

Room Tip: If you want quiet request a room that does not overlook one of the many pools or small putting green...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear LibraryLady106,

First off, congratulations on your wedding! We're always grateful for the opportunity to help our guests celebrate momentous occasions, and I'm pleased to hear that your special day was everything you'd hoped it would be. I'm especially glad that you experienced True Waldorf Service from our team members throughout your stay. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future, perhaps for your anniversary!

Denver, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at La Quinta resort in March. The first room we were given was a lockout. Cracked sink, dirty carpet, worn and beaten. The next day I asked for another room and was given a room facing the main pool. The icemaker did not work even after two calls and attempts to fix it. The room looked like it had been host to a bad frat party. Glass broken out of the chandelier, Bent sink faucet, light bulbs missing, pipe dripping into shower. The bright spots are the beautiful gardens, numerous small swimming pools and hot tubs, the plaza, and the outdoor dining areas. The food in the fine dining restaurant was excellent as was the service. The remainder of the food was adequate. So sad to see the maintenance here dragging the hotel down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Deborah L ,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed all the public spaces at La Quinta Resort despite your disappointment with your room. It's always great to be able to tell Chef Jimmy Schmidt when guests recommend Morgan's in the desert, and I'll be sure to let him know you enjoyed your meal there. I do hope you'll come back and visit us again in the future, and that you'll let us know at that time how we're doing.

Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Tom Gorman is an incredible asset to the resort; he's the reason we continue to return to La Quinta.

Simply put, we can go anywhere, but we are just driven by Tom Gorman’s excellent tennis program. He is amazing and continues to make our family reunions (10+ siblings/spouses) a great success.

Room Tip: Casita with private pool is second to none; especially with a large family.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cass65ShermanOaks_CA ,

I couldn't agree more about Tom Gorman and his fantastic team. Thank you so much for taking a moment to let us and the TripAdvisor community know how much you've enjoyed your vists here. We appreciate your loyalty to Tom and La Quinta Resort, and will be looking forward to your next family reunion.

Yucaipa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I usually love this resort, but this time we stay in a casita with a private patio. The sheets felt like sand paper and we were right by a gate and the door would slam and that kept us up till 2am. But the sheets I couldn't not sleep. I went check out and we let them know about the sheets and gate. The response was that's has never a problem, I we were lying. And we stay here a couple times a year. Now we won't stay there because of the customer service. If you ant to eat I would suggest stay nearby and go eat at the Twenty6 for breakfast or lunch/dinner they would I'd great and service is great. I will always go to this restaurant it's our favorite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oreray ,

Thank you for your heartfelt recommendation of TWENTY6, although I do wish you had better news about your stay to go with it. I want to apologize that you felt disregarded during your checkout experience. That definitely does not represent the True Waldorf Service we strive to provide, and needless to say we want each guest to feel respected and valued. I hope that on the strength of your prior visits you'll allow us the opportunity to earn back your business. And please do let me know if there's any way I can assist.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

This is not a resort. You literally have to beg for a towel if you are not at the main pool. It is left filthy all day long. Towels piling high and people's trash left to rot. No one comes to serve you a drink or meal. Ever. You might as well be at home. The regular casitas are also dirty, dark and tired. If you're willing to pay 600+ for a spa villa you can get a nice room--but you will still have no resort amenities. None.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear vmapdx,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at La Quinta Resort did not live up to your expectations of a resort vacation. I know how disappointing that must feel, and naturally we want all of our guests to have a relaxing time here that matches their dream vacation. I appreciate your taking the time to write this review, so that future guests will have an accurate idea of what to expect when they stay with us. As you mention, we provide food and towel service at the main pool. At all of the others, room service is available, and you're welcome to use the towels from your room. If you need more towels, housekeeping will happily provide them. I hope the next time you're visiting from Portland you'll allow us another opportunity to show you the true La Quinta Resort experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Our first time to the desert was 3 years ago when my husband had a confernce to attend at La Quinta. We've since been back a few times, staying at the JW Marriott and the Renaissance. The kids remembered our time at La Quinta fondly so we decided to go back.

When we checked in, we were told the A/C was going to be out that night but not to worry as it was to be cool that night. It was supposed to be back on at 6am, but instead came on late in the afternoon - and we had to call to inquire as to what was going on. (Expected some kind of proactive notification.) When we inquired, they offered us a fan and a free dinner at Adobe. In addition to the A/C, our family of 4 couldn't sleep that first night because the people above us were walking around - not partying or anything - from about 11pm until 2am! The creaking of the floors and EVERY little sound was enough to keep us all up. In the morning, we called the front desk and asked to move to avoid a repeat and we were told those people were checking out so it shouldn't be an issue...

Of course new people checked in, so it was an issue... and we ended up calling that evening to ask them to suggest they somehow quiet down. (How do you ask someone to stop moving around?) The bottom line is that the rooms don't have enough noise insulation and when we asked to move, that should have been honored.

The rooms are pretty tired. Carpets are stained, things just look kind of dingy. Beds are comfortable though. The note in the bathroom to hang your towel to use it again is well intended, but there was not one single hook or bar to be found... so waste we did.

The large pool is nice and considering it was Spring Break, it was not overly crowded. Our first day, we had a great experience with the service but the second day we found it impossible to find someone to take our order, so up to the bar we went... for waters, drinks, lunch -- we could NEVER find any one to service us. When we arrived that morning, there was a glass beer bottle laying on one of the chairs.

Outside our room there was a pool - this is why the kids wanted to go back to La Quinta! Unfortunately, there were 2 or 3 families who would stake it out for the ENTIRE day. Many hours would pass in the middle of the day and there wasn't a person to be found, but they would leave a towel on EVERY chair and all of their food and pool toys as if to claim it as theirs. This was a huge disappointment to us and happened all the days we were there. One of our children has allergies to nuts, and we would find pistachio shells not just on the side of the pool, but also IN it. This created some anxiety in our child, but we managed to keep him safe.

Regarding the handling of food allergies, the first day at the pool I asked the server early on if she could check on some ingredients for my child before it got too busy. She happily obliged and we were comfortable with how she handled it. The second day, I inquired (at the bar since I couldn't find a server) and the employee happily went in to the kitchen to inquire. She came out and said the food in question was indeed safe, but that he shouldn't eat the french fries as they used a soybean oil that contained nuts. Huh? I was absolutely floored as I was told the previous day it was safe soybean oil. When I told her this, she said "Well, did he eat it?" I said yes. She said "Well, did he react? I guess it's okay." I told her this is an extremely serious thing as it's life threatening and I do not take it lightly. It is hard enough to trust resorts, restuarants, etc. when we travel and this was not helping. When I came back a few minutes later after I calmed down, the chef came out and said he was mistaken... They comped us lunch, which was kind, but I do feel as though this is something that all the servers & employees at food establishments shoud know. It shouldn't be mistaken. The manager apparently overheard everything and came over to apologize as well. I did appreciate that, and I hope that they will better educate their staff at all restaurants. At Adobe, the server was standing their "thinking" when we inquired about the type of oil & what was in the food, but instead of "thinking", I would have preferred that she go and ask, which she did, once I suggested it.

We have traveled a lot with our children, and there are good and bad experiences. The best have been places (Montage Laguna Beach) that have gone out of their way to make my child feel special... "what would he LIKE to eat?" And then the chef makes a safe version for him... While I don't expect this everywhere, I do expect a resort of the La Quinta's caliber to at least be knowledgeable.

We were contacted prior to our stay via email by a concierge. When I emailed to inquire about our dining options and how to handle our food allergies, I gave my phone numbers to discuss on the phone. The woman emailed me and suggested I make dinner reservations and let her know where we'd be eating so she could tell the chef... This didn't really work for us as we didn't want to plan our meals a week in advance of our trip nor did we know what time we'd want to eat while away. Never did get any solid reassurance.

Overall, the kids had a fun time. My husband and I were disappointed in the service and overall condition of the room. The resort itself is gorgeous and they just need to take some time to renovate to the standards of the Waldforf Astoria name.

We will be back to the desert many more times, but we aren't sure we'll be back to La Quinta anytime soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear gbs527,

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your stay at La Quinta Resort. I do apologize that your experience here was so uneven, and I appreciate the care you put into writing your comments, which will be helpful for us in addressing your concerns. I was especially struck by your experience regarding your son's food allergies. As you mention, this is an extremely serious issue, one that we don't take lightly. It's clear, however, that we need to better train our entire team on this topic. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide your family with True Waldorf Service, and when you return I invite you to contact me directly so I can help make sure your next stay goes smoothly from start to finish.

Director of Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!