“Tom Gorman’s excellent tennis program” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Tom Gorman’s excellent tennis program”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Tom Gorman is an incredible asset to the resort; he's the reason we continue to return to La Quinta.

Simply put, we can go anywhere, but we are just driven by Tom Gorman’s excellent tennis program. He is amazing and continues to make our family reunions (10+ siblings/spouses) a great success.

Room Tip: Casita with private pool is second to none; especially with a large family.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Cass65ShermanOaks_CA ,

I couldn't agree more about Tom Gorman and his fantastic team. Thank you so much for taking a moment to let us and the TripAdvisor community know how much you've enjoyed your vists here. We appreciate your loyalty to Tom and La Quinta Resort, and will be looking forward to your next family reunion.

1,679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Yucaipa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I usually love this resort, but this time we stay in a casita with a private patio. The sheets felt like sand paper and we were right by a gate and the door would slam and that kept us up till 2am. But the sheets I couldn't not sleep. I went check out and we let them know about the sheets and gate. The response was that's has never a problem, I we were lying. And we stay here a couple times a year. Now we won't stay there because of the customer service. If you ant to eat I would suggest stay nearby and go eat at the Twenty6 for breakfast or lunch/dinner they would I'd great and service is great. I will always go to this restaurant it's our favorite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oreray ,

Thank you for your heartfelt recommendation of TWENTY6, although I do wish you had better news about your stay to go with it. I want to apologize that you felt disregarded during your checkout experience. That definitely does not represent the True Waldorf Service we strive to provide, and needless to say we want each guest to feel respected and valued. I hope that on the strength of your prior visits you'll allow us the opportunity to earn back your business. And please do let me know if there's any way I can assist.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

This is not a resort. You literally have to beg for a towel if you are not at the main pool. It is left filthy all day long. Towels piling high and people's trash left to rot. No one comes to serve you a drink or meal. Ever. You might as well be at home. The regular casitas are also dirty, dark and tired. If you're willing to pay 600+ for a spa villa you can get a nice room--but you will still have no resort amenities. None.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear vmapdx,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at La Quinta Resort did not live up to your expectations of a resort vacation. I know how disappointing that must feel, and naturally we want all of our guests to have a relaxing time here that matches their dream vacation. I appreciate your taking the time to write this review, so that future guests will have an accurate idea of what to expect when they stay with us. As you mention, we provide food and towel service at the main pool. At all of the others, room service is available, and you're welcome to use the towels from your room. If you need more towels, housekeeping will happily provide them. I hope the next time you're visiting from Portland you'll allow us another opportunity to show you the true La Quinta Resort experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Our first time to the desert was 3 years ago when my husband had a confernce to attend at La Quinta. We've since been back a few times, staying at the JW Marriott and the Renaissance. The kids remembered our time at La Quinta fondly so we decided to go back.

When we checked in, we were told the A/C was going to be out that night but not to worry as it was to be cool that night. It was supposed to be back on at 6am, but instead came on late in the afternoon - and we had to call to inquire as to what was going on. (Expected some kind of proactive notification.) When we inquired, they offered us a fan and a free dinner at Adobe. In addition to the A/C, our family of 4 couldn't sleep that first night because the people above us were walking around - not partying or anything - from about 11pm until 2am! The creaking of the floors and EVERY little sound was enough to keep us all up. In the morning, we called the front desk and asked to move to avoid a repeat and we were told those people were checking out so it shouldn't be an issue...

Of course new people checked in, so it was an issue... and we ended up calling that evening to ask them to suggest they somehow quiet down. (How do you ask someone to stop moving around?) The bottom line is that the rooms don't have enough noise insulation and when we asked to move, that should have been honored.

The rooms are pretty tired. Carpets are stained, things just look kind of dingy. Beds are comfortable though. The note in the bathroom to hang your towel to use it again is well intended, but there was not one single hook or bar to be found... so waste we did.

The large pool is nice and considering it was Spring Break, it was not overly crowded. Our first day, we had a great experience with the service but the second day we found it impossible to find someone to take our order, so up to the bar we went... for waters, drinks, lunch -- we could NEVER find any one to service us. When we arrived that morning, there was a glass beer bottle laying on one of the chairs.

Outside our room there was a pool - this is why the kids wanted to go back to La Quinta! Unfortunately, there were 2 or 3 families who would stake it out for the ENTIRE day. Many hours would pass in the middle of the day and there wasn't a person to be found, but they would leave a towel on EVERY chair and all of their food and pool toys as if to claim it as theirs. This was a huge disappointment to us and happened all the days we were there. One of our children has allergies to nuts, and we would find pistachio shells not just on the side of the pool, but also IN it. This created some anxiety in our child, but we managed to keep him safe.

Regarding the handling of food allergies, the first day at the pool I asked the server early on if she could check on some ingredients for my child before it got too busy. She happily obliged and we were comfortable with how she handled it. The second day, I inquired (at the bar since I couldn't find a server) and the employee happily went in to the kitchen to inquire. She came out and said the food in question was indeed safe, but that he shouldn't eat the french fries as they used a soybean oil that contained nuts. Huh? I was absolutely floored as I was told the previous day it was safe soybean oil. When I told her this, she said "Well, did he eat it?" I said yes. She said "Well, did he react? I guess it's okay." I told her this is an extremely serious thing as it's life threatening and I do not take it lightly. It is hard enough to trust resorts, restuarants, etc. when we travel and this was not helping. When I came back a few minutes later after I calmed down, the chef came out and said he was mistaken... They comped us lunch, which was kind, but I do feel as though this is something that all the servers & employees at food establishments shoud know. It shouldn't be mistaken. The manager apparently overheard everything and came over to apologize as well. I did appreciate that, and I hope that they will better educate their staff at all restaurants. At Adobe, the server was standing their "thinking" when we inquired about the type of oil & what was in the food, but instead of "thinking", I would have preferred that she go and ask, which she did, once I suggested it.

We have traveled a lot with our children, and there are good and bad experiences. The best have been places (Montage Laguna Beach) that have gone out of their way to make my child feel special... "what would he LIKE to eat?" And then the chef makes a safe version for him... While I don't expect this everywhere, I do expect a resort of the La Quinta's caliber to at least be knowledgeable.

We were contacted prior to our stay via email by a concierge. When I emailed to inquire about our dining options and how to handle our food allergies, I gave my phone numbers to discuss on the phone. The woman emailed me and suggested I make dinner reservations and let her know where we'd be eating so she could tell the chef... This didn't really work for us as we didn't want to plan our meals a week in advance of our trip nor did we know what time we'd want to eat while away. Never did get any solid reassurance.

Overall, the kids had a fun time. My husband and I were disappointed in the service and overall condition of the room. The resort itself is gorgeous and they just need to take some time to renovate to the standards of the Waldforf Astoria name.

We will be back to the desert many more times, but we aren't sure we'll be back to La Quinta anytime soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear gbs527,

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your stay at La Quinta Resort. I do apologize that your experience here was so uneven, and I appreciate the care you put into writing your comments, which will be helpful for us in addressing your concerns. I was especially struck by your experience regarding your son's food allergies. As you mention, this is an extremely serious issue, one that we don't take lightly. It's clear, however, that we need to better train our entire team on this topic. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide your family with True Waldorf Service, and when you return I invite you to contact me directly so I can help make sure your next stay goes smoothly from start to finish.

All the best,
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The price of the rooms are double what they should've been. it was more like staying at a highway motel, no ambience whatsoever. Absolutely no service at the pools either. Our friends got upgraded to a spa suite, beautiful but still no service at the pool. Definitely stay somewhere else!!

Stayed March 2014
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Doodlenuggy,

I'm sorry to hear that you found your stay at La Quinta Resort such a disappointment. One of the great things about a relaxing pool getaway is enjoying food service by the pool, so I can understand the frustration you voice in your review. We do have direct food service at our Main Pool, and at all the others we offer room service delivery. I apologize that these options were not brought to your attention.

Any Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The grounds of La Quinta are beautiful however there are a lot of little things that together add up to an experience that really is not at the Waldorf Astoria level. Among them:

1. Most annoying and dangerous. There are skateboards and scooters everywhere. It is annoying to have to dodge them all of the time. In fact, I was unable to dodge one and the kid ran right into me. They have signs forbidding them on the tile areas but do not enforce at all. It really takes away from the experience especially if you are trying to relax or have a business meeting or conference. And, if a kid were to run into someone with limited mobility it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

2. Analog TVs with bad reception. Really need to upgrade those.

3. The food at the Mexican restaurant has gone down hill and the service is slow and not very attentive.

Now for the good:

1. Spa is nice and services were wonderful. They do have midweek specials that you should ask about.

2. The grounds are amazingly beautiful and the many pools provide you with options.

3. The fitness center is large and has great equipment.

4. Beds were very comfy but the rest of the furniture could use some refreshing.

All in all, it is a beautiful location, but not up to Waldorf Astoria standards.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear AnyGuest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at La Quinta Resort. We pay great attention to our guests' comments, and yours offer food for thought on several fronts. I'm sorry that your experience didn't live up to your expectations, despite the positive things you mentioned. I agree with you that the details matter, and your review will help us make sure that every element of the La Quinta experience lives up to the level of Waldorf Astoria.

All the best,
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a relaxing couple's getaway upon a recommendation from a friend. Unfortunately, we had to transfer rooms the first night due to the fact that the box spring was entirely broken underneath our mattress. They wanted to fix it by putting a board underneath the mattress, and we refused, so we were given another room. The first night in the new room was ok, despite the fickle toilet and the 5 foot tall shower head that requires you to duck every time you want to get your hair wet. The second night, however, we were woken up around 1am because we could hear every word of a loud couple's conversation in the adjoining room next door. The third night, we were woken up by the second--yes, second--adjoining room, where there was a family with two young children who were screaming and slamming doors for over an hour up until midnight. By this time, we felt like we were living in a communal home with no control over the noise around us. And after 2 nights of interrupted sleep, we couldn't take it anymore, so we transferred rooms around midnight just to get some sleep. Because the 3rd room wasn't available the following night, we were given a fourth room for our last night. Four rooms in four nights. All of this and we were only compensated for one night of our stay. I've never been so disappointed in a resort and it made our vacation anything but relaxing. We do not plan to visit this resort again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear moonlite44,

I apologize that your couple's getaway proved to be less than relaxing. So many elements are involved in creating the perfect retreat, and it's a great disappointment when things go amiss. I hope that you will consider including La Quinta Resort in your future plans, and when you do, please contact me directly so that I can make sure your next visit is the relaxing vacation you desire.

Director of Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!