“Land of the Pools” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Columbus, Ohio
“Land of the Pools”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend over Memorial Day weekend. Booked a starlight casita room (since that seems to be the standard upgrade given to diamonds if a basic room is booked) and received an upgrade to a spa suite (which is what I requested in the comment section). Outside of the upgrade HH Diamond bene's included free wifi, bottled water, and a free appetizer at one of the onsite restaurants.

We enjoyed the fact there were so many pools as we could roam around until we found a quite pool (lots of families were at the resort over the holiday weekend). The room was large although as others have posted it is a bit dated (not a problem as far as we were concerned). On site food options were plenty and with a car there is a plethora of options available.

The resort was awesome... gardens/green and red/pink flowers everywhere to go along with the white buildings, blue outlines, and tan/red mountains. It really is an oasis in the desert. The only down side we experienced was the closest pool was closed for a day due to broken glass and the A/C unit kept things manageable and comfortable, however the room was never "cold"... If staying in the middle of summer I could see the A/C becoming a problem unless we just wound up with an old unit.

This was our first time at this resort and we will without a doubt return!

Room Tip: The spa units seemed to be a bit more quite if that is important to you
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Chris,

I appreciate the time you took to write such a thoughtful review filled with practical advice for future guests. The Memorial Day weekend was indeed busy, and I'm glad you took advantage of the fact that we have 41 pools to help you find one that suited your needs. It's very nice to hear that based on this first experience at La Quinta Resort & club, you plan to come stay with us again at a future date. We look forward to that next visit!

1,549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Tarzana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Been here many time and never disappoints. Great place for business, family trip or a couples retreat - done all 3 and always a great experience for all. Have also come just for the spa experience on multiple occasions and always pleased.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear David,

Thank you so much for being a loyal guest of La Quinta Resort & club! It gives me great pleasure to hear that you've had such great experiences with us, and especially that you've been pleased with Spa La Quinta. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit, and beyond.

LOS ANGELES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place takes the cake! It is absolutely flawless in every way! The property is endless...You can literally jump into a pool every 5-10 steps you take...there are 41 pools and 53 hot tubs!!!

Checking in is always a breeze and the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and proactive, in fact the entire staff is! They go above and beyond the call of duty, treating everyone on the property as if they were old friends or royalty.

Expect the luxury of a Waldorf property but the friendliness of a small town in Iowa. I have stayed here several times and they take care of me VERY WELL! Every single time!. I am so thankful and appreciative of everyone on this staff. They make you feel as if you are right at home!

With so much history on this property the Frank Capra Suite is one of my favorite themed rooms...

My favorite of all time is the one bedroom Spa Villa Corner Suite on the ground floor! Talk about flawless! Full Kitchen and island, fireplace, huge living room with pullout bed, huge comfortable chairs and a bathroom with a full shower, french door opening to a HUGE front patio with seating for 6 or more! HUGE bedroom and master bath with double sided fireplace so you can see it from the bathroom or the bedroom. Step up a few steps into the large bathtub or step into the walk-in shower. Off the bedroom are french doors opening up to the back deck with lounge chairs and 5 steps to basically your own private pool and hot tub....talk about easy, breezy paradise!

In the spa suite...you only have to walk about 20 steps to the world-class spa! The spa is a MUST!. Whether you have never been to a spa before or are a regular spa goer....

They have a world class team here and well being flows thru the spa abundantly. It is paradise, it really is.

I love that it is coed and you can be inside or outside in the desert heat while relaxing.

The massages are the best my man & I have had!

You HAVE to get the HYDRAFACIAL....it is hard to find a place that has this technology and people that have the know how...but Spa La Quinta is definitely one of them! This facial is THE BEST facial you will ever have EVER! My face has never been so clean. It is literally like having 7 different facials in one and done is 90 minutes. It is the most relaxing (I fell asleep) facial on the planet. Even with extensive extractions and peels and microderm, etc....there is zero pain... it is truly magical and worth every single penny!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lengthy review of La Quinta Resort. I am very much looking forward to sharing your feedback with our staff, especially at the Front Desk and the Spa. I may have to steal your description: "The luxury of a Waldorf property, with the friendliness of a small town." That pretty much says it all.

And I'm so glad you recommend the HydraFacial. Spa La Quinta is the only spa in the Palm Springs area to offer this amazing experience, and it is one of our most popular treatments. I'd recommend anyone who would like to try it to book ahead to ensure they can get an appointment.

We look forward to your next visit, to welcome you back to your home away from home.

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great experience at this resort over a 3 night stay during July. Check-in was easy and they upgraded us to an upper room with a private, large patio overlooking one of the many pools. The room was spacious, beds were comfortable, bathrooms were clean and it came with a minifridge/bar area which made it easy to store some food and drinks for the next 3 days. The room was a bit older looking and the curtains and tile could have used some work but overall it was a great room.

The grounds are awesome, workers constantly working in the heat to keep the place nice. I've seen better overall landscaping/upkeep in the desert resorts around this area but given the amount of space that more than makes up for it.

The pool - we only used the satellite pool by our room so I can't comment on the main pools. Our pool was dirty the first day because they had just done some landscaping work on the area. I talked to the front desk that night and the next morning the pool was cleaned. The pool has an older feel and could use some revamping but given there were only a few other people hanging around "our pool" at any given time, it was quiet and very refreshing given the heat.

The spa - great service, nice spa with an older feel. No plunge pool only a fountain to dip in which was a drawback. But, it wasn't very busy and the amenities were OK given we were only a short walk to our room. I've been to nicer spas before and I'm sure there are nicer ones in the desert.

The gym: clean, big, lots of equipment, worked for what we needed.

Dinner and drinks: Went to Adobe and then had drinks at the outdoor bar area. Adobe was very fresh. Atmosphere was nice. Drinks were really expensive at both places. Sitting outside, listening to live music and looking around at the awesome grounds was a highlight of the trip. Well worth paying a little more for the drinks.

Front Desk: Friendly, eager to please. We had a key issue one day, although that was a waist of our time to deal with it, they were prompt and had maintenance fix it quickly. The lines do get long at checkin/out which was a bit annoying.

Overall, nice, spacious rooms with some charm, relaxing environment, great service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level with a private patio are very nice. Look at a map of the property to sugge...
Dear sniknej,

Thank you for your wonderfully comprehensive review of La Quinta Resort! I'm very glad that you mentioned our grounds, and how hard our groundscrew works to keep everything in tip-top shape. Did you notice that we have seven different types of fruit trees on property? It's fun to see if you can spot one of each type during your visit.

I especially love that you mentioned sitting outside and listening to live music on the plaza in the evening. Isn't the view of the mountains spectacular? It's the perfect way to end a relaxing day with us.

We look forward to your next visit!

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Came for a girls weekend, talked to the "personal" concierge ahead of time. Since we had three rooms full of grown women (some who were looking to get away from their kids for the weekend), I asked if it was possible to be at a more "adult-friendly" pool, with not a lot of kids. I was told they would do their best. Their "best" meant we were at a pool filled with screaming kids, pool noodles, and floaties, and consequently we felt bad having booze and grown-up conversations. When I asked if the hotel was busy, I was told that it was a very quiet weekend (as you would suspect in the desert in the middle of the summer), so I am surprised that they placed us in casitas around a pool where every other casita was filled with families.

At night, when we thought maybe we could enjoy the hot tub and pool without the little ones, there was a grown (and fairly large) man doing cannonballs in the pool repeatedly. While the first three cannonballs were entertaining, after about 20, we were pretty sure he was tanked and looking for some attention that we weren't willing to give him. At around 10 p.m., while he was still on his cannonball crusade, we got a "noise complaint" from management, and were told that us ladies would need to go inside if we were going to continue to talk and giggle...Um. That's pretty much all a girl's weekend is, so, kind of weird that you aren't allowed to do that but a grown man can cannonball into a 3 foot pool over and over again.

However...The staff was really great, for the most part. Anytime we needed ice or ordered room service or wanted a cart to take us to our cars they were fast and courteous. I think the resort in itself is pretty nice (not perfect, but a nice place to spend a weekend), but I think it is probably best suited for families with small children only.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KBK229,

I'm sorry to hear your girls' weekend didn't turn out the way you hoped. It's good to know that you found the staff to be attentive and prompt, and it sounds like overall you enjoyed the resort itself. I agree that your room placement sounds less than optimal, especially in light of your request to be near a more adult-friendly pool. I do hope you tried out our adults-only pool, Plunge, which was created for exactly such a purpose. Also, with 41 pools on the property, there are always some that have no children, so I hope you felt free to explore other options.

None of that, however, would have completely eased your room situation. It's clear that you were being considerate of your neighbors, but perhaps not receiving the same consideration in return.

I hope that you will consider us again for a girls' weekend, or any other getaway. When you do return to our resort, I invite you to contact me personally to discuss the perfect room placement that will help you achieve the weekend you originaly had in mind.

San Jacinto, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Always enjoy my stay whenever I go thank you. I always go for my anniversary and birthday. I have gone with my husband, kids, and cousins as a girls night out and it is always pleasant. Have recommended the resort to couples and family get away. Just recommended it to a couple that will be married next month. Always enjoy the bar, and the restaurants. All employees are so polite and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Lettyfaith98,
Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoy La Quinta Resort! It's nice to hear that you come for special occasions as well as for girls' nights out. One of our goals is to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to both formal and casual/resort events and outings. I'm especially glad to hear that you find our employees polite and helpful. I know they work hard to provide true Waldorf service to each an every guest, so I'm glad to be able to tell them about your experience with us.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked this reservation online last minute and specifically told the staff that we were looking for something quiet and relaxing for a couple. They told us we could have a room that opened to a private pool and spa which was shared by the 5 surrounding rooms. It sounded nice. It wasn't. The pools aren't private at all. Anyone can wander from any area of the resort and use any pool. There were literally huge groups of families setting up tents and coolers around the pools. They were so filled with kids and floaties it was impossible to even swim. The whole atmosphere was completely trashy. At night, we tried to use the pool in hopes of finally getting some privacy and by that point they were absolutely filthy. This place is just an oversized motel 6 in the desert.

Dear Linda,
I’m sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectation. As you discovered, most of our 41 pools are indeed open to all guests of the resort. One option that might have suited your needs is the adult pool, which is a relaxing space for those without children to enjoy. I do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future, perhaps choosing a casita in the neighborhood of this pool to provide you a better experience. Should you decide to return, I invite you to contact me directly so that I can personally help you create the getaway you are looking for.
Director of Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!