“Great time in the desert” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Quinta
San Diego
“Great time in the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great experience at this resort over a 3 night stay during July. Check-in was easy and they upgraded us to an upper room with a private, large patio overlooking one of the many pools. The room was spacious, beds were comfortable, bathrooms were clean and it came with a minifridge/bar area which made it easy to store some food and drinks for the next 3 days. The room was a bit older looking and the curtains and tile could have used some work but overall it was a great room.

The grounds are awesome, workers constantly working in the heat to keep the place nice. I've seen better overall landscaping/upkeep in the desert resorts around this area but given the amount of space that more than makes up for it.

The pool - we only used the satellite pool by our room so I can't comment on the main pools. Our pool was dirty the first day because they had just done some landscaping work on the area. I talked to the front desk that night and the next morning the pool was cleaned. The pool has an older feel and could use some revamping but given there were only a few other people hanging around "our pool" at any given time, it was quiet and very refreshing given the heat.

The spa - great service, nice spa with an older feel. No plunge pool only a fountain to dip in which was a drawback. But, it wasn't very busy and the amenities were OK given we were only a short walk to our room. I've been to nicer spas before and I'm sure there are nicer ones in the desert.

The gym: clean, big, lots of equipment, worked for what we needed.

Dinner and drinks: Went to Adobe and then had drinks at the outdoor bar area. Adobe was very fresh. Atmosphere was nice. Drinks were really expensive at both places. Sitting outside, listening to live music and looking around at the awesome grounds was a highlight of the trip. Well worth paying a little more for the drinks.

Front Desk: Friendly, eager to please. We had a key issue one day, although that was a waist of our time to deal with it, they were prompt and had maintenance fix it quickly. The lines do get long at checkin/out which was a bit annoying.

Overall, nice, spacious rooms with some charm, relaxing environment, great service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level with a private patio are very nice. Look at a map of the property to sugge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear sniknej,

Thank you for your wonderfully comprehensive review of La Quinta Resort! I'm very glad that you mentioned our grounds, and how hard our groundscrew works to keep everything in tip-top shape. Did you notice that we have seven different types of fruit trees on property? It's fun to see if you can spot one of each type during your visit.

I especially love that you mentioned sitting outside and listening to live music on the plaza in the evening. Isn't the view of the mountains spectacular? It's the perfect way to end a relaxing day with us.

We look forward to your next visit!

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Came for a girls weekend, talked to the "personal" concierge ahead of time. Since we had three rooms full of grown women (some who were looking to get away from their kids for the weekend), I asked if it was possible to be at a more "adult-friendly" pool, with not a lot of kids. I was told they would do their best. Their "best" meant we were at a pool filled with screaming kids, pool noodles, and floaties, and consequently we felt bad having booze and grown-up conversations. When I asked if the hotel was busy, I was told that it was a very quiet weekend (as you would suspect in the desert in the middle of the summer), so I am surprised that they placed us in casitas around a pool where every other casita was filled with families.

At night, when we thought maybe we could enjoy the hot tub and pool without the little ones, there was a grown (and fairly large) man doing cannonballs in the pool repeatedly. While the first three cannonballs were entertaining, after about 20, we were pretty sure he was tanked and looking for some attention that we weren't willing to give him. At around 10 p.m., while he was still on his cannonball crusade, we got a "noise complaint" from management, and were told that us ladies would need to go inside if we were going to continue to talk and giggle...Um. That's pretty much all a girl's weekend is, so, kind of weird that you aren't allowed to do that but a grown man can cannonball into a 3 foot pool over and over again.

However...The staff was really great, for the most part. Anytime we needed ice or ordered room service or wanted a cart to take us to our cars they were fast and courteous. I think the resort in itself is pretty nice (not perfect, but a nice place to spend a weekend), but I think it is probably best suited for families with small children only.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KBK229,

I'm sorry to hear your girls' weekend didn't turn out the way you hoped. It's good to know that you found the staff to be attentive and prompt, and it sounds like overall you enjoyed the resort itself. I agree that your room placement sounds less than optimal, especially in light of your request to be near a more adult-friendly pool. I do hope you tried out our adults-only pool, Plunge, which was created for exactly such a purpose. Also, with 41 pools on the property, there are always some that have no children, so I hope you felt free to explore other options.

None of that, however, would have completely eased your room situation. It's clear that you were being considerate of your neighbors, but perhaps not receiving the same consideration in return.

I hope that you will consider us again for a girls' weekend, or any other getaway. When you do return to our resort, I invite you to contact me personally to discuss the perfect room placement that will help you achieve the weekend you originaly had in mind.

San Jacinto, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Always enjoy my stay whenever I go thank you. I always go for my anniversary and birthday. I have gone with my husband, kids, and cousins as a girls night out and it is always pleasant. Have recommended the resort to couples and family get away. Just recommended it to a couple that will be married next month. Always enjoy the bar, and the restaurants. All employees are so polite and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Lettyfaith98,
Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoy La Quinta Resort! It's nice to hear that you come for special occasions as well as for girls' nights out. One of our goals is to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to both formal and casual/resort events and outings. I'm especially glad to hear that you find our employees polite and helpful. I know they work hard to provide true Waldorf service to each an every guest, so I'm glad to be able to tell them about your experience with us.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked this reservation online last minute and specifically told the staff that we were looking for something quiet and relaxing for a couple. They told us we could have a room that opened to a private pool and spa which was shared by the 5 surrounding rooms. It sounded nice. It wasn't. The pools aren't private at all. Anyone can wander from any area of the resort and use any pool. There were literally huge groups of families setting up tents and coolers around the pools. They were so filled with kids and floaties it was impossible to even swim. The whole atmosphere was completely trashy. At night, we tried to use the pool in hopes of finally getting some privacy and by that point they were absolutely filthy. This place is just an oversized motel 6 in the desert.

Dear Linda,
I’m sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectation. As you discovered, most of our 41 pools are indeed open to all guests of the resort. One option that might have suited your needs is the adult pool, which is a relaxing space for those without children to enjoy. I do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future, perhaps choosing a casita in the neighborhood of this pool to provide you a better experience. Should you decide to return, I invite you to contact me directly so that I can personally help you create the getaway you are looking for.
Jupiter, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful place, great service, great staff, beautiful pools and grounds...even off season this is a great place to visit...they did everything to make our stay especially lovely....we loved the place, ready to come back anytime...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Zakee J, Director of Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Jerome,

It makes me happy to hear guests describe La Quinta Resort the way you do. We want each and every guest to feel special, and it sounds like we were successful during your visit. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Garden Grove, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

La Quinta Inn provides the ultimate getaway for rest and relaxation. The views and grounds are impeccable. The rooms are large and beds are so comfortable. Stayed in #246 with spectacular views of the mountains. This property is a great place to celebrate your anniversary or special occasion!

Dear Donald,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of our resort. It might be helpful for future guests to know, however, that we are not affiliated with La Quinta Inn, which can be confusing. I'm happy to hear you found La Quinta Resort & Club restful and relaxing. Hopefully, we can welcome you back on a future special occasion, or even for another restful getaway.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I generally like to go to the Viceroy hotel when in the Palm Springs area but this time we had our sister-in-law with her two children ages 8 and 13 and didn't really think that hotel was appropriate for kids so we decided on La Quinta instead. I think we made the right choice. Lots of pools that were no deeper than 5 ft and they were completely happy. There are two restaurants on site and both were quite good. Service is slower than what you would get in LA but that should be expected. All of the servers were very friendly and we were impressed. The place is great for families but it's not where I would go for a more romantic trip because of all the younger people and kids. Great family place though. On the downside and these are not big things. The sprinkler systems are out of control in the parking lots. We had two cars and both had just been washed but got totally trashed by the sprinklers. Also there are a ton of flies everywhere outside. Really bad actually. So annoying you couldn't relax by the pool unless you were in the water because the flies would swarm on you like you were a corpse. Why did they have to go and ban DDT anyway:)

Room Tip: Ask for a hotel room facing the pool so you are not literally in the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear hampden,
Thank you for your thoughtful review. It’s good to know that our resort proved to be the right choice for you and your family on this trip. I’m especially glad to hear you were impressed with the servers at our restaurants, and I look forward to passing along your evaluation.
I’m sorry to hear that our sprinklers “watered” your cars. I know how frustrating that can be, especially if you’ve just had them washed! I will have the groundskeepers keep an eye out for any mis-trained sprinklers, so as to prevent this from happening to any future guests.
I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future, especially when your sister-in-law comes back for a visit.
Director of Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!