“Coachella Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Los Angeles, California
“Coachella Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed in a Spa Villa Suite which was a large area with a full kitchen and two bathrooms. The room was comfortable and clean. Pros: Large room, washing/dry machine for cleaning clothing, full kitchen and fridge dinning area etc. Beautiful property, extremely friendly and helpful staff, extensive grounds and facilities (pools, tennis courts, shops, spa) and the best choice location wise if you are attending a festival on the polo grounds. Cons:The TV's are on the small side and the room service quality is sub par. And for some reason there were no mini-bars in our rooms.

Room Tip: If you are staying in a resort casitas I prefer one closer to the front desk area and or the main po...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

So I really needed to get AWAY. I love my husband and kids, but I needed to relax, and really sleep, so instead of spending Mother's Day Weekend with my lovely family, I asked to go away. I was looking for a nice resort where I could sit by the pool, go to the spa or fitness center, if I wanted, or enjoy company by a larger pool if I wanted. With 42 pools on property, my fellow mom and I could literally pool hop until we found the desired crowd we wanted.

We made a reservation on line through the hotel directly and opted to take the $5 per night upgrade if available. We were upgraded from a garden room to a poolside room and it was great. The beauty of this resort is that it is all single story. The walls are thick, so noise is minimal. It's one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in. You can choose to upgrade to a casita with your own private pool, but the pool outside our door was shared with only 14 other rooms and then there was another pool 10ft from that. Of course there were times with some enthusiastic young children squealing a bit, but like I said, it would have been very easy for us to walk another 25 yards to find another quieter pool.

The central pool isn't a mega pool, but it is large with cabanas and a full bar and restaurant, so if you want pool side service, that is where you go. Otherwise, bring a small cooler and BYOB and snacks. The other nice thing is that the way the rooms are arranged, there isn't much car noise. Parking is behind thick adobe/stucco walls. And there are so many beautiful palm trees, there is shade even if you don't have an umbrella.

We had dinner at Twenty6 the first night, sat on the patio and listened to music from the bar, which was very nice. Coffee in the morning at the resort coffee shop was great, but there is complimentary coffee and coffee makers in the room, as well as a mini refrigs.

The only downfall of this place is that the individual pools/pool areas aren't cleaned up everyday and some attention could have been given to the patio furniture/tables and sweeping on a daily basis, but it wasn't terrible.

La Quinta isn't really the hot night life scene, but that isn't what I was going there for. We enjoyed going to restaurants in Old La Quinta, and ventured out to the movies one day when it was too hot to be outside. Overall, it was a fantastic restful retreat.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are on the corner entrance areas so they might be a little noisier with foot traff...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't been back to the La Quinta area in ten years. It was terrific coming back and staying at this great resort. The staff are gracious and accommodating. Morgan's restaurant serves perhaps one of the best filets I have ever eaten. Most of all I appreciate the sense of place this resort has achieved. Unlike so many hotels that are big convention block hotels, this historic hotel feels quaint and genuine. I hope to be back with my wife for a weekend get a way soon.

• Stayed May 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This property is spectacular! The grounds are gorgeous with tons of citrus trees, a zillion pools both public and private. The spa is excellent. What I love about La Quinta is how they have preserved the historic feel from back in the day when it was a playground for the Hollywood elite. Especially wonderful is Greta Garbo's private apartment which has been maintained as a little piece of history. Because they have chosen to keep the charm rather that completely restore every inch means it's a bit more rustic, for example there are not a ton of electrical outlets, vintage furnishings have been kept and one of our group had one of the original suites. It was gorgeous but had a smell, not a bad smell just a hint of must like vintage leather books or something. We loved it and I would never hesitate to return, especially for a special occasion.

Room Tip: The Capra suite was incredibly charming, but is older and a little more rustic since it was one of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Although the rooms are older (part of the charm) the service rivals any 5 star top resort..for much less $$$. They make you feel at home, and appreciated. The dining experience at Morgans was first class, also the other two 26! and Adobe are the best around and in the Palm Springs area that is a tall number. 41 pools so you should be able to find some nice quiet time if you want or go to the big pool for the kids, music and food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Recently stayed in a Villa Suite at La Quinta Resort for a relaxing girls weekend and enjoyed my time there! I have a mix of pros/cons of this resort, in no particular order:

- The grounds are beautiful and we liked having our own private pool (must have been a quiet weekend!).
- While the rooms were a bit dated, it was fine for what we were looking for. Not up to the quality standard of other Waldorf Astoria properties but we felt that other amenities made up for that.
- The outdoor live band was great but we felt that Adobe Grill was overpriced. $800+ bill for margaritas, chips & salsa for a group of 8, eek.
- Palm Springs has so much to offer, it's a bummer that La Quinta is so far removed.
- The city of La Quinta unfortunately does not have a ton of food/entertainment options. Plan on driving 30+ min. to find great restaurants or things to do other than golfing.
- There is a Costco less than 5 miles away, making it easy to load up on food/beverages and make in your in-suite kitchen.

I could envision myself going back to La Quinta someday with my husband or friends for a low-key, relaxing weekend getaway. If you are looking for an ultra-luxurious vacation or prefer a younger/exciting atmosphere, La Quinta Resort is probably not for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed in a Casita. Very Noisy--catering and house pushing their carts over the sidewalks at late and early hours, fan in room hitting something all night. Very expensive and nothing special about the room.

Here a revealing story about their cleanliness. We tried to use the small refrigerator. The door wouldn't close and the door gasket was torn. It had been torn for a long time--there was old food crumbs and other crud laying inside the gasket where is was torn. Very bad.

We called to get the refrigerator fixed. They said they would send an engineer to fix it. Instead of bringing us another working refrigerator and taking the filthy one away to repair it elsewhere, the "engineer" inspects it, pulls out a hair dryer from his tool box, and proceeds to try to defrost the refrigerator. If you know anything about these refrigerators, it takes quite a while to defrost one. The engineer tells me that the freezer froze over and prevents the door from closing. I pointed out that this will not fix the gasket, and the filthy gasket was not acceptable. I told him to forget the freezer, we will not use the refrigerator, and he can fix it for the next guest. He left.

For these prices, you should not have to deal with gross refrigerator gaskets. This problem should have been fixed immediately. "They" did not care that we could not use their broken refrigerator.

Stay away. This is negligence that is unacceptable and an indication of how employees care about the reputation of the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Zakee J, Director of Resort Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
jd51000, I thank you for your feedback. We strive to consistently provide our guests extraordinary experiences in every facet of their stay, and I have personally reported your concerns to our maintenance leadership to ensure that this issue is appropriately addressed. Your experience with our maintenance team will be used as a learning tool for future room calls and will not happen to another guest. I hope you will give us a second chance to demonstrate our commitment to timeless luxury and unparalleled service the next time you are in our area.

Zakee Jones
Director of Resort Operations

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!