“Relaxing Private Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Seattle, Washington
“Relaxing Private Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Recently stayed in a Villa Suite at La Quinta Resort for a relaxing girls weekend and enjoyed my time there! I have a mix of pros/cons of this resort, in no particular order:

- The grounds are beautiful and we liked having our own private pool (must have been a quiet weekend!).
- While the rooms were a bit dated, it was fine for what we were looking for. Not up to the quality standard of other Waldorf Astoria properties but we felt that other amenities made up for that.
- The outdoor live band was great but we felt that Adobe Grill was overpriced. $800+ bill for margaritas, chips & salsa for a group of 8, eek.
- Palm Springs has so much to offer, it's a bummer that La Quinta is so far removed.
- The city of La Quinta unfortunately does not have a ton of food/entertainment options. Plan on driving 30+ min. to find great restaurants or things to do other than golfing.
- There is a Costco less than 5 miles away, making it easy to load up on food/beverages and make in your in-suite kitchen.

I could envision myself going back to La Quinta someday with my husband or friends for a low-key, relaxing weekend getaway. If you are looking for an ultra-luxurious vacation or prefer a younger/exciting atmosphere, La Quinta Resort is probably not for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1,652 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed in a Casita. Very Noisy--catering and house pushing their carts over the sidewalks at late and early hours, fan in room hitting something all night. Very expensive and nothing special about the room.

Here a revealing story about their cleanliness. We tried to use the small refrigerator. The door wouldn't close and the door gasket was torn. It had been torn for a long time--there was old food crumbs and other crud laying inside the gasket where is was torn. Very bad.

We called to get the refrigerator fixed. They said they would send an engineer to fix it. Instead of bringing us another working refrigerator and taking the filthy one away to repair it elsewhere, the "engineer" inspects it, pulls out a hair dryer from his tool box, and proceeds to try to defrost the refrigerator. If you know anything about these refrigerators, it takes quite a while to defrost one. The engineer tells me that the freezer froze over and prevents the door from closing. I pointed out that this will not fix the gasket, and the filthy gasket was not acceptable. I told him to forget the freezer, we will not use the refrigerator, and he can fix it for the next guest. He left.

For these prices, you should not have to deal with gross refrigerator gaskets. This problem should have been fixed immediately. "They" did not care that we could not use their broken refrigerator.

Stay away. This is negligence that is unacceptable and an indication of how employees care about the reputation of the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Zakee J, Director of Resort Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
jd51000, I thank you for your feedback. We strive to consistently provide our guests extraordinary experiences in every facet of their stay, and I have personally reported your concerns to our maintenance leadership to ensure that this issue is appropriately addressed. Your experience with our maintenance team will be used as a learning tool for future room calls and will not happen to another guest. I hope you will give us a second chance to demonstrate our commitment to timeless luxury and unparalleled service the next time you are in our area.

Director of Resort Operations
los angeles, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

What business is it of mine to know what ringtone my neighbor has on his cell phone? Or what tee time my other neighbors have on a Saturday morning? The answer is NONE, especially when on vacation. But since the walls are so thin here at La Quinta you get the privilege of knowing all that and more.

The grounds are beautiful but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. I'm going back to the Renaissance where I can get some sleep.

Stayed May 2013
Zakee J, Director of Resort Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your remarks about the beauty of our Resort and that you enjoyed your room accommodations. Your overall experience at La Quinta Resort is something that we strive very hard to exceed. It is very clear and appealing to me that we were not able to meet those expectations. This is not the level of service we aim to provide and can assure you these issues has been addressed with all of our teams to ensure we provided the best service at all times. I thank you for staying with us and your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Director of Resort Operations
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The resort is beautiful, loved the spa villa with adjoining King Suite. Lots of space and nicely decorated. Restaurants have good food. HOWEVER, do not go during any type of holiday period. We went during Spring Break and it was overcrowded. They say they have numerous pools, however, they only have one pool with food and drink service and music. This pool did not have even close to enough chairs for everyone. If you didn't go by 6am, you didn't get a chair. And by the third day, people were so upset about this, they were taking chairs from people who were sitting right there. I was sitting next to my daughters empty chair while she was in the restroom, and this man came and picked up the chair to move to where he was sitting. I turned around and said excuse me that is my daughter's chair, he said, "So, she is not here" and proceeded to take it away. I was so shocked and shaken I could not believe it. Another example is the Spa. They were already booked for the five days that I was there, however, we left our name with the concierge to see if we could get in on any cancellations. When they called my husband's cell phone to say they had an availability for me, I immediately walked over to the Spa to confirm since I was right next door at the pool. During my less than 5 minute walk, they gave away the reservation. Incredible. They should at least wait 10 minutes before they call the next person. This was not a relaxing trip. First two days housekeeping did not come. Third day had to call several times and finally by 5pm one person arrived just to empty the trash. There was trash in the courtyard that we called about on the first day. Looked like a homeless person had left their clothes and alcohol bottles. They did not come to clean until 4th day. Definitely would not go back during any popular season.

Room Tip: Ask for Spa Villa near the main pool. However, expect to pay. We paid over $1,000/night for the S...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Whittier
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sixteen years ago, my husband and I toured the grounds of La Quinta and vowed to return. It was breath taking at the time. We never splurged and so on my husband's 70th birthday, I thought I would take him there for a couple of days of golf. I made reservations over the phone about a week before we arrived. The trouble started then. I had seen a golf package online however when I booked it over the phone, my confirmation had the wrong package on it. After several phone calls, it seemed straightened out.
We arrived at La Quinta and it was a total zoo....people and cars everywhere. We discovered that it was the second weekend of the Coachella Valley music concert (no one had told us that this was happening when we made reservations). As we checked in, the resort had the wrong golf package again. It was straightened out however now we were told that if we ate dinner at Morgan's we would be charged an extra $75 instead of the $50 charge which had been stated on the internet. We asked if we could use it on the second night of our stay and we were told that it would not be a problem. We were also told that the spa certificate (it was part of the package) wasn't available right then but they would send it to the room.
We checked into our room and as much as I love the Spanish hacienda feel, it was dated. The furniture had marks and water spots, the bathroom smelled of mildew and the shower actually had some in it. The towels were thread bare and I mean thin...I think they have used them for YEARS! On the second day, I picked up one that was torn! We decided to go to the pool however as we headed over to the main pool, music was blaring so loudly that we decided we would just go to a small pool. The pool we ended up at had another couple our age and then two groups of late 20-30 year old people. Trash was all over...the younger people were very intoxicated...which is okay...they were having a good time...except every other word was the "f" word and it got old very soon. When they left to go attend the concert, trash was left everywhere.
We golfed the next day and ran into the couple we saw at the pool from the previous day. Their room was actually right next to that pool and they had to call security at 1:30 in the morning because it was so noisy...they were from Canada and had no plans of returning to La Quinta.
I went to the spa to make reservations and they said I needed the certificate from the front desk. When I returned to my room, it had not been delivered and so when we returned from dinner, we stopped by the front desk to request it. They said it would be delivered the next morning.
When we got to the golf course the next day, the pro shop was not familiar with our golf package which included lunch. Finally it got resolved and thank goodness the course was in great shape...we loved it! However, when we got back there still wasn't a certificate for the spa and so I called the desk and they said it would be sent to the spa immediately.
As we went into dinner that night we decided to stop at the concierge's desk just to make sure there would be no problems at Morgan's. The concierge was unfamiliar with our package...she called the restaurant and that person had to ask another person about our package. It was resolved....we thought. As we entered the restaurant, we told the hostess that we were the people the concierge had called about..she said she understood and so we had a wonderful dinner. However as we checked out, we were charged for the entire dinner! Not just the $75 (which should have been $50) that we had been told about on day one. When we asked why, we were told it was because we had the dinner on the second night. When we told them that we had been told it was okay to do that, the desk lady did make amends for it. However, we were so frustrated by the entire stay that we asked to speak to a manager. We told him of our frustrations and disappointments and especially of the difficulty with the golf package. He said he didn't understand why we had such a problem with the package because it was their oldest and most well liked package! And he said that the surcharge for Morgan's was only suppose to be $50 so...he gave us back $25 since the hotel had charged us the $75....
Will we go back? No. Sixteen years ago, the resort was elegant, beautiful, pristene. It was a resort that one would go to for a special occasion. Now it is different....the grounds were disappointing...a lot of dead flowers all around and it had not been that hot.... The management appears to be catering to a different crowd than it used to. The golf courses were wonderful. Morgan's was excellent. The spa was great. But the customer service was frustrating and the grounds and rooms are not maintained like they were....We were so disappointed because it is such a historic resort...if you like Spanish architecture, it is beautiful. However, they appeared to have cut corners and it is showing....Very disappointing

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zakee J, Director Of Resort Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent visit, and I appreciate your loyalty and feedback. I was personally alarmed when I read your response. We are using your reservation errors as a learning tool for the resort so this doesn't happen to the next traveler . We strive to provide our guests with unforgettable luxury experiences, and the issues you mentioned will not be tolerated. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention so that we can continue to make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards possible. Please feel free to reach out to me for further discussion because your feedback is very important to us.

Director Of Operations
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I will definitely be coming back to La Quinta. The Mariachi welcome, live salsa band, private pools and exceptional service were unbeatable. This place is perfect for upscale relaxation without being stuffy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The place is lovely, sprawling grounds beautifully landscaped and dotted with pool after pool. Great restaurants and and helpful staff. The rooms were nothing spectacular, but they were tidy and well maintained. The experience of being at the hotel was first rate, my problem was with the customer service that the booking department gave me. I went on Coachella weekend, a premium weekend, and rooms had to be pre-paid at 600 a night. When I discover that my friends and I had accidentally double booked, the hotel refused to let us cancel the room. When I asked for a cheaper room, they agreed to it, downgraded the booking, but then refused to credit the difference until multiple calls were made. All in all, I spent probably three hours on the phone with booking trying to sort out the mess, all the time with different agents making different promises, most of which were never followed though on. It was our mistake for double booking, but the hotel had no interest in helping us fix the problem. What was really frustrating, was that a room that was booked three months is advance, was a hundred more a night than a standard room rate, and the room could have easily have been booked a day before. So for booking customer service a huge FAIL. But for the resort itself, a big thumbs up.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on one of the small pools, it's worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ethomaslqr, Director of Front Office Operations at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Angailfox,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as your feedback is important to us. I was delighted that you very much enjoyed our grounds, restaurants and helpful staff. We pride ourselves in being a unique property where you can enjoy wonderful landscape, perfect weather, delicious food and beverage brought to you by cheerful staff. Please accept my sincere apology regarding your less than perfect experience with regard to receiving a credit due to a change in room package purchased. Your feedback helped us improve on this aspect of our service. Giving the rest of the resort experience a two thumbs up leaves me anxious to welcome you back home in the near future. Please don’t hesitate in reaching out to me for assistance on your next visit to La Quinta Resort & Club.

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!