“Relaxing desert resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
San Francisco, California
“Relaxing desert resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our family has been visiting La Quinta for over two decades, and I imagine we’ll be returning for at least two decades more. Long a desert hideaway for Hollywood’s biggest stars and a host of U.S. presidents, La Quinta has managed to retain that old Hollywood magic, while keeping pace with today’s high standards of luxury.

While La Quinta’s rooms – or casitas – are comfortable, they’re not extraordinary and some of the furniture is dated. But we don’t come to La Quinta to sit in a hotel room! What makes La Quinta so special is its spectacular Coachella Valley setting, beautifully manicured grounds, attention to service, and understated southwestern elegance. I never get tired of photographing the white-washed casitas draped with vibrant bougainvillea and trimmed with cheerful blue shutters. Our kids have endless fun riding their scooters around the resort’s 41 different pools (yes, they actually counted them!) and at least as many hot tubs. Then there are the margaritas and guacamole – expensive, but well worth the splurge and best enjoyed on the central patio while listening to the popular mariachi band on a warm weekend night as the sun falls behind the surrounding Santa Rosa hills.

Because La Quinta is so spread out and rooms are arranged in different sections, you’ll want to do some research ahead of time to determine the best location and type of accommodation to book. There are casitas that open out onto quiet, semi-private pools; exclusive suites for the ultimate retreat; and villas with full kitchens that are great for big families or groups. If you love tennis, you might consider staying in the newer section close to La Quinta’s world-class courts (and the spa!) Some of the casitas date back to the resort’s early days, including one in which Frank Capra wrote some of his greatest screenplays, including “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Of La Quinta’s three main restaurants, we’ve been to two – the Adobe Grill and 26. As one would expect at a resort of this caliber, there are no bargain meals, but the ambience is (almost) worth the bill. If you stay in a villa with a kitchen, you can always eat some meals in – there are plenty of supermarkets close by, including a relatively new Trader Joes. Though we never left the resort on our last trip, we usually venture into nearby Palm Desert for dinner at least once.

Finally, I should add that La Quinta is a great place for the pooch. We have yet to bring ours, but the resort is amazingly dog friendly (they have in-room massage services for dogs!) Next time, our dog will definitely be part of this family tradition.

Room Tip: Research your room location carefully. If you have young children, you may want to make sure that yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

1,706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

There are many, many hotels to choose from in the desert cities in and around Palm Springs -- and La Quinta is the best in the bunch for me. We were invited to a wedding that took place on the grounds of La Quinta in May and since we travelled a good distance, we decided to expand our desert stay to 10 days. This gave us the opportunity to explore the area and also stay a couple of days in Palm Springs. After our two days at a cute retro motel in the heavily touristed atmosphere of Palm Springs, we went running back to La Quinta! The setting is spectacular. Lush and colorful mature landscaping embraced by the dramatic mountains. There is something for everyone here -- if you like new and modern, they have it. As for myself, I preferred staying in their original & updated 1920s cottages situated near the center of the complex. You don't have to be a sports jock (we are not into golf or tennis) to enjoy this place. You can rent bikes, walk, swim, eat & drink! The tone here is just right -- comfortable, relaxing and service is available as needed. I especially appreciated that they had 41 separate swimming pools scattered around the grounds in various shapes and sizes; so if you are not traveling with children and prefer not be subjected to their style of water play, noise level and questionable water quality -- La Quinta has brilliantly designated a pool or two just for the kids. With that said, this resort can truly be enjoyed by families as well as couples. The service was great as all we interacted with from the front desk to concierge, wait staff or maintenance had just the right vibe -- professional and friendly. The food was great, whether it was room service or in one of the many restaurants. We were thrilled to discover that the on site Mexican restaurant Adobe Grill offered fresh handmade tortillas -- a rare treat for those that appreciate the difference! We truly look forward to returning here again. I should add that if you are considering attending or planning a destination wedding -- this place was marvelous.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the La Quinta Resort & Club recently for a work-related meeting and had an excellent experience. The casitas seem quite small on the outside but when you enter you come upon a very roomy bedroom-sitting area, a very large dressing room with two sinks and a wonderful tiled bathroom with a separate shower and very large tub. Had a great bath. As it was off-season, it was very quiet and relaxing at night. The air conditioning worked well and wasn't too loud. Outside each arrangement of casitas there is a pool and hot tub. It was hard to imagine bathing in the warm water on such a warm night, however. The food was excellent. The coffee at the Coffee Market was very decent. The grounds are quite lovely. The only drawback was that my room was located in the rear of the hotel. I had to exit the grounds, drive around the corner and enter at Las Arboles. It took me forever to find the unit. By then I was really hot and irritated. It was difficult to find my way back at night when the meeting was over and I ended up getting a ride. Likewise, the next day I tried to find my way back, took a wrong turn and ended up on the other side of the very large grounds. Had to grab a ride on a golf cart with one of the workers. When I checked out of my hotel I got in my car and the temperature was at 113 degrees. You might enjoy it a bit more when it's cooler but there's something very therapeutic about the desert heat.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the main grounds or you might get lost!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The furnitures are a little outdated but overall the resort makes you feel at home. the service staff are very helpful. Our group had a dinner function and the foothaws exceptionally good. We stayed in a hide away suite with its own patio and jacuzzi. The kitchenette was well stocked.

• Stayed June 2012
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Just returning from La Quinta. I wasn't very excited about going given the triple digit temperatures they're having the desert at this point, but I came away very impressed. This place is special. The setting is incredible. Beauty surrounds you everywhere. And the resort amenities are fantastic. It's rated in the top 5 in the US as a tennis resort and I can see why. We played on both hard courts and clay courts while there. Both were fabulous. And the staff members at the tennis center were great. We stayed in a "starlight casita" and loved it. Only quibble would be surprisingly rough towels and no robe. Not what you'd expect at a place like this, but overall this place was simply awesome. We ate lunch a few times at the restaurant Twenty6 which is onsite and it was very good.

This place was stellar. And this was in the off-season. It must be absolutely like heaven when the weather is actually conducive to being more active.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the La Quinta resort last week for a conference, and really enjoyed the experience. First of all, the hotel has a unique layout- it's essentially a series of bungalows and houses interspersed by a number of walkways and swimming pools. If you love swimming, as I do, you will be heaven: the property has, I believe more than 40 pools. Some are small, others large; some for families, others for adults; some for relaxing, others for laps; essentially everything you could ask for and then some. I read some reports complaining that the pool areas were very loud and unruly but I did not experience any of that during my 5 day stay.

The rooms themselves were huge and while the decor was somewhat dated, it was not unpalatable. We had a 1 bedroom suite, which included a huge living / dining area and full kitchen, including a washer/dryer, and two full bathrooms. The living room and bedroom both opened onto outdoor patios, the latter of which led to a small pool that we virtually had to ourselves. Our room number, FYI, was 1802, and I highly recommend this room, if you should have the choice to select your room.

The property was beautiful, although be prepared to do a lot of walking. Parking was free and ample but make sure you have a car as the property is not within walking distance of anything.

The only two negatives I can think of, (and these would be major or minor depending on your priorities) were as follows:
(1) the dismal internet service. The wireless rarely and barely worked; eventually they came and set up a wired modem, which was better but certainly not high speed.
(2) Even though the hotel bills itself as being in the Palm Springs area, it is not in Palm Springs- it is in La Quinta, several towns away. This is not a problem per se, and we in fact enjoyed the quietness and serenity of the town.But if you are looking for more activity or things to do, you should be prepared to spend a lot of time driving.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel enthusiastically (and from a pool perspective, this is easily the best hotel I have ever stayed at).

Room Tip: I highly recommend the room we stayed in (1802).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

So, this was our second stay here—we were comped this stay because the last was riddled with problems. Suffice it to say that it has not gotten better. I am still amazed that this is a Waldorf Astoria property….that means so much less to me now! The rooms are in serious need of updating and TLC (broken window shades…random patch jobs on walls that were not painted the same color, pool towels are shameful and overall inattention to details). The whole resort seems to be a party place and the hotel makes no effort to send security around to enforce the 10pm quiet time. Management is ill-equipped to be dealing with the systemic problems at this resort. (Evan Thomas & his staff seem quite used to dealing with irate customers which is why after our conversation we spoke to the Hilton Diamond Desk & Guest Services to let them know what was going on at this place.) The issues we had are too long to go into here…just take my advice, unless you are a party person and don’t mind being woken up at all hours of the night and as early as 6:45am by parties, find someplace else to stay. While we did end up getting some resolution to our issues, I would NEVER recommend anyone to stay here. Good bye, La Quinta Resort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!