“pleasantly surprised, great vibes for a big golf resort” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   49499 Eisenhower Dr., La Quinta, CA 92253   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Austin, Texas
“pleasantly surprised, great vibes for a big golf resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I ended up at this hotel because I had booked a less expensive place for the Coachella weekend that I left immediately on arrival because it was incredibly dingy. Fortunately La Quinta had a few rooms left and saved me from a scary night. Upon arriving I was very surprised and pleased with how pretty and unique the resort is-- unlike many sprawling golf resorts, it has a very warm, almost boutique-ish vibe. The sense of history is palpable. The staff was much friendlier and more relaxed than the staff at several other five star hotels I've stayed at recently where staff has been either indifferent or incompetent. La Quinta staff seemed to genuinely want me to have a good time.

Like the staff, almost everything here was above average and exceeded expectations in a comfortable way. The room decor was very nice (I had a spa villa, which was almost like a small house), the pools were lovely, the casual restaurant's food was friendly and food decent. Even with all the Coachella kids here it wasn't too noisy. Wierdly enough, the hotel seemed excited about Coachella and was even playing young people music at the checkout desk, which I thought was fun and hilarious for a golf resort. All in all, very good vibes here and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

1,672 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

A very good golf course where the golfing staff were fantastic. BUT the clubhouse and internal staff were the worst we encountered in a four week golf holiday accross USA. We completed our round at 3pm to find all food closed down, the staff were unfriendly and shuffled us out at 3:30pm. It certainly frustrated the golfing staff who said they received endless complaints. Compare this with PGA west, wolf creek, Carolina's, or pebble beach who all go out of their way to make you welcome.

Stayed April 2012
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

First impression . I really liked the property. The bell hops at the start made me feel welcomed. Upon check in, I had a feeling I was in an old resort.

Rooms. The cottage style rooms that are old felt comfortable, but the rooms I side just felt cold.

It's an old property that needs a lot of updating.

I stayed there for the gold package. Unlimited golf for arivval and departure at PGA west? That's insane! But I have heard they are surcharging for the stadium course now of 50 bucks. Which I don't like. They have five courses in the package that you can play, and I will be back. Just don't like the surcharge for the stadium course over the past year.

The property is very nice. It's very well layed out. I loved hanging out on my first night at the restaurant and pool.

Will stay again. Even though the rooms are dated, the feeling of the property made me feel like I was on vacation.

• Stayed July 2011
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I'm really torn about what to say in this review. We just spent a weekend at La Quinta with another couple. It was a very busy weekend, as a music festival was going on in the area.
Check-in was great, the effort was made to place us in rooms close to each other. My husband and I had a poolside King room-location was perfect! Our friends were directly behind us in a room with a very large private patio. I realize we were in the "older" part of the property (there are rooms that have been nicely renovated), but I was really disappointed in the shape our room was in. The room was large, as was the bathroom. We had lots of closet space, double sink, desk area with 2 chairs and a small fireplace. BUT-it desperately needs an overhaul. The room was dingy, it needed paint, the carpet needed cleaning and our door wouldn't even shut all the way-it did latch, but you could see through the crack between the door and the facing. It was also very loud-we heard everything outside our door, and lucky for us, we were next door to a family with very small children that got up early every morning we were there. Our room wasn't even made up until 5pm the first day we were there. Coming back from shopping and golf to a dirty, unmade room wasn't enjoyable.
I don't know, I tried to rationalize that the condition of the room saying it was charming, but...after my disappointing massage, I decided my complaints were worthy. The spa area is old and could use some freshening up. It almost felt dirty in the showers. During my massage, I could hear carts rolling along the tile floor, people talking and working outside the room. It was very distracting and made my spa experience not very relaxing.
I've stayed at La Quinta several times, and have not left feeling this way. Maybe it was the crowds and I had too high of expectations. If I go back, I'll definitely ask for a renovated room.
There are some positives-We loved the Morgan's in the Desert restaurant and bar. The staff was so friendly and remembered us each night we came in. We even were served a free glass of wine as the bar was closing. The food was delicious in the restaurant and the bar. There was live entertainment-piano and guitar. It got lively the first night-people dancing, singing, etc...The second night was a lot quieter, so I guess it depends on who the clientele is at the time. I love the grounds of the resort-the flowers were beautiful and the mountain backdrop added another dimension to the surroundings. We had 2 lovely breakfasts on the patio of the Twenty6 restaurant. Service was great. The Sunday Mexican brunch was not worth $30-the food wasn't replenished in a timely manner, and the buffet was quite messy. We drank several margaritas to make sure we got our $30 worth, as the food wasn't very good.
I'm not sure if I'll go back to La Quinta. The jury's still out, but all in all, it wasn't a terrible weekend. I may let it slide this visit due to the crowds. For the price we paid, $400 (and that was a special group rate), I expected a whole lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated poolside room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, CO.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent a long weekend at the La Quinta Resort and had a blast! This hotel is made for families! There were kids everywhere! It seems like this is a hot spot for families from the California area, as they seemed to bring bikes, scooters, etc.. for the kids. You can rent the bikes, but we had a hard time finding the right size bikes for our family at the right time. So much to do outside. and all the pools! at first i thought it was kinda weird to have 41 pools at a resort, but then you realize that the resort is so large (46 acres) that they need all these pools. The grounds are just beautiful too, a picture opt at any corner. The restaurants and shops are expensive but good. The cons? Well the rooms aren't great, they are getting outdated. but for us the amenities made up for the rooms. (which has never happened before) my kids didn't want to leave this place. We also found the staff very friendly and helpful even on a sold out weekend at the resort. We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: request rooms in the 800 and 900. these rooms are closer to the main pool, spa, tennis, etc...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We have stayed here in years past and have good memories, but this time, you can tell the hotel is showing signs of wear and customer service is nowhere to be found. The grounds are as beautiful as advertised, but the buildings, rooms, pools, furniture are showing signs of wear. The first issue arose when we finally got to our room, and my daughter had to use the bathroom, and the toilet would not flush. We called to have ti fixed, but nobody responded until 3 hours later. The hotel would do well to have a handyman just go through the rooms and... fix the issues - from burned out lightbulbs to slow draining showers, to loose doorknobs - you can tell it was once quite nice. But now it needs some work to be worth the price you will pay. It's charming that there are so many pools. Your neighbors are the luck of the draw. So if you are the kind of family who loves to travel with 4 other families and sit around a pool till midnight drinking and laughing - this could be the ideal place for you as you could probably get your whole clan around 1 pool and it could feel like a private resort for you. If you bring your dogs, bikes, and scooters, all the better, all are saturating this place. But if you have come for virtually any other reason, you'll have to adjust to the rowdy public-park-like atmosphere. No unwind or unplug here guys! And strongly recommend you travel off-campus to eat - the service here was so incorrect, inattentive, and in some cases unfriendly that we found the Applebee's to actually have better service! Considering the size of the bills - that is crazy! I have actually never written a review on TripAdvisor before - and tend not to write negative reviews - but know before you go. There are plenty of beautiful high quality resorts in this area for the money. We'll be checking one of them out next time around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Nice and spacious property. Spread out over quite a few acres. Immaculate landscaping. Good restaurants on property. This is an older resort - but very nicely maintained. Family friendly, pet friendly. I think it is a Waldorf / Hilton property. Was not disappointed in any way.
Most of the rooms are little Casitas.
You would not believe the number of pools on the property !!

Room Tip: I doubt there are any "bad" rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!