“GTS - Golf, tan, spa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in La Quinta
Huntington Beach
“GTS - Golf, tan, spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Love this resort. You can usually find some type of "deal" going on. The resort is quiet, clean, beautiful. The golf courses and spa services in the resort are wonderful, although you can always find other options for golf and spa. Just using the day spa: steam room, pools, jacuzzi, relax in the private courtyard sipping cucumber water or hibiscus tea, soaking up the sun or chilling in the shade, or sitting by the outdoor fireplace, it's all great! Everything you need is on premise and it is close to everything if you choose to venture off the grounds. The mystery and majesty of the Santa Rosa Mountain surround you here. Go!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

1,675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012 via mobile

My star rankings I feel pretty good about. I am a diamond member of the Hilton chain, mostly stay at waldorfs. The la Quinta is a good looking and rustic resort. The valet was very attentive and good natured. The registration desk welcomed me with the "hold on finger", she was just shuffling papers. Come on. When her associate got off the phone he "helped" me. It was 4:30 check in is at 4:00. But you should expect to check in most places a little early. So the room wasn't ready and we had to wait for them to clean it, but they did give me a paper for my honors status (which I normally get), telling me that there will be no late check outs. But they will check me in late??? During this time we went had happy hour drinks and nachos at the plaza at the top. After sitting at a first come first serve seating for a while I had to track down someone to ask for service, when I did(I was very pleasant) I was treated like I just insulted them. The waitress was terrible to speed up my comment on this. The rooms are staggered in casitas across the resort. Cool but really it's like going into an apartment complex unless your in the 1500+ a night neighborhood. The "7" pools look like rundown apartment pools. Our room was upstairs 2 flights. After dragging to 50 pound bags up we were there. A pretty standard, regular room. The fireplace which some have(this is an upgraded room) is not that spectacular don't buy into it. Once here for night life you have to drive to the Hyatt for closest place. Since I was either going to stay here or there, that wasn't cool to hear. It's dead here or simply not entertaining. Palm springs is 45 minutes away. Hyatt is 12. You can get cabs at the lobby, but it's a bit of a walk and if anyone can't make a long walk or has high heels not happening. The site portrays as you just park right in front of your room. Nope small parking lots, a walk away from the room. Hope you get one. Besides the valet guy, everyones attitude is lousy, as they would like to be somewhere else. This seems to be guests and workers. There are so many great resorts out here. This is not a "great" one. This is average... This is not an upset review just an honest one.

• Stayed January 2012
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012 via mobile

The room was ok, it was more like a little cottage. It had a little screened in porch attached to the room with a table and chair set and a porch swing. The room has a real wood burning fireplace but there was no wood available. The room was layed out very strangely with a big empty space in the middle of the room. It was not very clean which was dissapointing. I wanted some ice so I went I to the mini fridge which was suppose to have ice and the ice maker was frozen up and who knows how old the ice was. The bathroom was dirty as well. It was make to look vintage but the yellow caulking between the tiles was just dirty. Very dissapointing for being a Waldorf Astoria resort. I would not recommend this place for the amount you pay.

• Stayed January 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Let me first say that this is a beautiful property, and that I would certainly stay here again or recommend it to others. The rooms are very well kept, and the grounds are immaculate. The groundskeepers and gardening staff needs an extra special shout out for the beautiful work that they do. The flowers and trees are beautiful. This is a great place for a large group or convention.

However, I must also say that it is a very large and spread out property, and I am afraid that the service level has a few slipping points because of that. All of the staff was friendly and helpful when asked for something directly, but overall it has the feel of a large institution service level, rather than a 5 star luxury resort which I am sure is what they want.

Some of the items we encountered on our stay was that the service in the restaurants is a little slow, the bell staff had trouble with finding bags delivered, and some of the housekeepers entered rooms without knocking first.

I was also surprised that while wifi is free, it is blocked in the meeting rooms. Our group was there for a business meeting, and we had to go outside the meeting room to get a signal. Why go to the all the trouble to block it in a meeting room?

So in summary, I would say this is a great place for a large group to meet. I would certainly stay here again, but for a personal trip it did not impress me enought to keep me from trying another place next time. For a normal hotel, the service would be fine, but for a place trying to be the finest in the desert it could still come back up a notch.

Room Tip: The property is huge and spread out. If you don't like to walk and you want to be close to the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have been going to the Palm Springs area for 30 years always staying at the best hotels/resorts I could find. My usual choice was the Ritz Carlton in Rancho Mirage until it closed several years ago. I have also stayed at the Hyatt and Marriott resorts; I found all of them to be first class and was never disappointed. This weekend I stayed at the Laquinta Resort which set a new standard for the desert. The place is absolutely fabulous. The resort is spread out with rooms in separate buildings scattered over the property. Our room was in a building that was a two minute walk from the main lobby and restaurants. These buildings have their own streets so you can self park you car in front of your building. There were several large heated pools on the property. We went into two of them and they were definitely heated. The pools and Jacuzzis were open until 11 pm so you could take a late night dip,
We had breakfast at one of the restaurants where the food and service was impeccable. That night we had drinks at an outdoor bar named Fountains which had several tables with individual fire pits so you could have a drink, keep warm in front of the fire and smoke a cigar, all under the desert night sky.
Our room was spacious and had all the amenities commensurate with a 5 star facility.
The bottom line is this place is a treasure and to me is set a new standard for luxury in the desert. I would highly recommend it!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
La Quinta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Once you pull into the resort, you'll feel like you have left the hustle and bustle of the city. Their rooms are all private, some have mini private courtyards. Their suite gives you plenty of room. There are many pools throughout this expansive property. Their golf course is right next door. They have a spa, tennis courts and several restaurants to eat in the courtyard. The hotel is designed old world Spanish and every corner of the resort shows these details. If you are looking for a getaway, this is the place to go. The staff is very helpful, parking is convenient. It is not too far from Old Town La Quinta and you will enjoy the old town La Quinta complex.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side of the property if you really want to relax. The rooms are farther...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel seems to get really good or really bad reviews - not much in the middle. I possibly would have given 3 except or the fact they charged my credit card for lunch on the day we left - which we never had- and they would not respond to my emails. It is really the setting and staff that give it the extra point.

The resort is really beautiful in a spectacular setting with great views of the mountains. The weather was great when we were there. Lovely warm days and cold nights.

The rooms are sub standard for a 4 star resort.

We were upgraded (?) to a room with a large patio.The view during the day was great.

The room had a gas fire place that was literally falling apart and an old rusted out fridge.

The bathroom was really average and looks like it had not been updated since the 80's.

The towels were thin and very small.

The beds were actually quite comfortable and the rooms are a generous size.

The lighting around the resort IS a real problem. We found an older couple who had been wondering around for at least 30 mins looking for the restaurants. All the need to do to remedy this is put up signs saying "Lobby" this way etc. I fell in a large hole up to my knee in mud and water while wondering around at night.

We had dinner at Adobe Grill (awful) and breakfast at Twenty6 which was quite good.

We found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.

I am sure there are much better places to spend time in the desert.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!