My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in the Palm Springs area for our 1 year anniversary. Our first trip together was at Rancho Las Palmas a couple of years ago, which we loved, but we were interested in trying something new. We wanted to stay at Desert Springs Marriott, where a gondola takes you to your room, but we were surprised that the entire hotel was booked, especially for the middle of July. Regardless, after many recommendations from friends, we booked our stay at La Quinta Resort in La Quinta, just outside of Palm Springs.
We knew July would be hot, over 110 most days, but that didn't bother us. We got a great rate with our AAA card, and when we checked in, we were upgraded from a Starlight Casita (which they say affords the best views at the resort) to a Hideaway Casita, which contains a private yard with hot tub. I was a bit bummed initially with our upgrade, because there was no view at all, we were just looking out into your private yard. Also, the Hideaway Casita was literally 30 steps from the lobby entrance. I was hoping for something a bit off the beaten path at such a large resort. Regardless, the Casita was still totally private, which we loved.
La Quinta is a Waldorf Astoria hotel, and when I hear the name Waldorf Astoria, I think of total luxury. Not so much here. The interior wasn't nearly as nice as Rancho Las Palmas. Furnishings were dated. We had a small fridge that leaked and a TV that was a bit fuzzy.
One of the great things about this resort though is the number of pools. There is a main pool, but when we walked over to it the snack bar there was blaring terrible music way too loud to enjoy it. The two pools by our Casita were quiet, which we loved, but the water in the pool itself wasn't as clear blue as I expected.
Only 2 restaurants on the property were open during our stay, Morgans in the Desert, which is so expensive, and Twenty6, which is where the room service comes from. Our first night we ordered room service, and the food was quite good.
The staff were fantastic. Everyone had a smile, was helpful, and really seemed to be enjoying their jobs, and making sure we were comfortable (thank you Christian for the room upgrade!).
Being that it was the middle of July, the resort was pretty much empty, which is how my wife and I like it...no screaming kids, no party scene, etc.
We didn't use the spa, or golf, or any amenities, so I can't really comment on that...we just went to relax and enjoy each other's company, a chance to get out of the busy life in LA...which we did.
However, when we go back to the Palm Springs area, it probably won't be to La Quinta...we'll either head back to Rancho Las Palmas, or try Desert Springs Marriott.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA WEST® is a world-renowned Southern California desert retreat featuring 796 elegantly appointed casitas, suites and villas; the 23,000-square-foot Spa La Quinta® with 41 pools and 53 hot spas; 41 tennis courts; over 100,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and banquet facilities; and exceptional cuisine at Morgan’s in the desert, TWENTY6 and Adobe Grill. Known as The Western Home of Golf in America® and named ”North America’s Golf Resort of the Year,” it is home to five award-winning golf courses and four private courses – designed by legends Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Pete Dye, Greg Norman and Tom Weiskopf. Golf instruction is offered at the PGA WEST Golf Academy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, HotelsClick and Otel so you can book your La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Resort & Club Hotel La Quinta
- La Quinta Resort And Club
- La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Greater Palm Springs